latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Can't do recurring billing via paypal payflow

Home Forums Community Forum Can't do recurring billing via paypal payflow

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:52 pm #16610

We’re using the new version of s2Member to integrate with Payflow for recurring billing.
And it works great when the customer chooses to pay by credit card.
However, if they try to do recurring billing using PayPal, we get this error in the log:

‘TRXRESPMSG’ => ‘Field format error: Invalid Token’,

We called PayPal technical support and they told us that

“Using the payflow api you can’t do recurring billing with express check out. If you wanted to do that you’d have to set it up using regular payola express check-out apis.”

He said if we wanted to do that, we’d need to do 2 different integrations …
1 to integrate with PayPal express check-out and 1 to integrate with PayFlow (for credit cards).

So … Is this a bug in s2Member, or do we have s2Member configured incorrectly?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:11 am #16651

Hi Sepano.

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll forward it to Jason to review it.

Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:51 am #16671
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

“Using the payflow api you can’t do recurring billing with express check out. If you wanted to do that you’d have to set it up using regular payola express check-out apis.”

It is my belief that this response from PayPal support is incorrect.
The PayPal Express Checkout API for Payflow DOES support a BillingType set to: RecurringPayments

PayPal has implemented several service/API changes over the last couple months, and we’ve gotten the impression that many people are confused about which service does what, including even PayPal’s own support team. Therefore, I won’t rule out the possibility of this being a correct statement, but I also can’t take it at face value either :-)

The error you reported was: ‘TRXRESPMSG’ => ‘Field format error: Invalid Token’,

So that we may gain a better understanding about how this error occurred on your installation, please submit a Dashboard login and FTP access for me. I’ll run diagnostics on your integration, to determine the underlying cause of this error for you. Or, if you’d prefer… please enable s2Member’s logging routines, so that data associated with this error is recorded by s2Member, for us to review with you.

If you can submit log entries, please do that privately through this form. If you can include a Dashboard login and FTP access, please include that as well. We’ll help you track this down.

See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:51 am #16966
Staff Member
Thank you. Details received.
~ Investigating now.
Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:57 am #16968
Staff Member

Investigation completed.

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

I found this is caused by a bug in s2Member’s implementation of Express Checkout for Payflow, in the current release of s2Member v120608. We’re having this resolved in the next maintenance release.

Until then, I’m attaching a patch file for you, that you’re welcome to use. If you’d like to implement this patch file, please unzip and upload the attached file, allowing it to override your existing copy of:
/s2member-pro/includes/classes/gateways/paypal/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php

Please upgrade your current installation of s2Member/s2Member Pro to v120608 BEFORE using the patch file. This patch file is designed to fix current installations of s2Member/s2Member Pro v120608.

http://d1v41qemfjie0l.cloudfront.net/s2member/uploads/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc_.php_.zip

If you have any trouble, please wait for the next maintenance release, which will arrive in the next day or so.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:59 am #16969
Staff Member

Note… I found this was NOT the case.

The issue was simply related to an incomplete TOKEN value, which has been addressed. Thanks again!

Posted: Monday Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:56 pm #17390

We upgraded to v120622.
Unfortunately, while the token error is indeed gone, it has been replaced by another error:
‘TRXRESPMSG’ => ‘Field format error: Invalid PayerID’,

One of our customers received this error when he tried to pay via paypal.
I tried to pay via my own paypal account and got the same error.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Posted: Monday Jun 25th, 2012 at 11:35 pm #17448

Hi Sepano.

Thanks for reporting it. I’m notifying Jason now so he looks into it.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 5:54 pm #17707
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this bug report.

I’ve had this corrected in the development copy, and it will go out in the next maintenance release. In the mean time, existing installations can be patched with the attached file. Unzip, and allow this file to overwrite your existing copy of: /s2member-pro/includes/classes/gateways/paypal/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php

Patches an existing installation of s2Member Pro v120622
http://d1v41qemfjie0l.cloudfront.net/s2member/uploads/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc_.php_1.zip

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:15 pm #17708

I applied this patch just now but I am getting the same error.

-rw-r–r– 1 seductiv seductiv 61614 Jun 27 15:09 paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php
-rw-r–r– 1 seductiv seductiv 61458 Jun 20 01:51 paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php.OLD

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:43 pm #17710
Staff Member
Thanks for the follow-up.
I’m going to take a look at your installation now.
Posted: Saturday Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:48 am #17965
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

We’ve worked through some additional issues with PayFlow (as it behaves a bit differently under certain scenarios). I’d appreciate it if you could test the latest patch for us, if that’s possible. Please unzip and extract the attached file. Allowing it to override your existing copy of:
/s2member-pro/includes/classes/gateways/paypal/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php

Please report any issues that you encounter.
http://d1v41qemfjie0l.cloudfront.net/s2member/uploads/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc_.php_2.zip

Posted: Friday Jul 6th, 2012 at 6:02 pm #18501

We tried and got yet another error:

‘TRXRESPMSG’ => ‘Referral: 10422-The customer must return to PayPal to select new funding sources.’,

What does that mean?

Posted: Saturday Jul 7th, 2012 at 4:52 am #18537

Maybe he didn’t have enough funds in his selected source so he needs to pick another one.

I searched for the error and this is what I found: https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_soap_errorcodes

Customer must choose new funding sources.
The customer must return to PayPal to select new funding sources.

Posted: Saturday Jul 7th, 2012 at 2:05 pm #18567

Thanks for the response.

There is more than $5000 in the current funding source and the recurring billing that I’m trying to sign up for is only $20/month …

So, that doesn’t really feel right to me.

Could it be something else?

Posted: Saturday Jul 7th, 2012 at 10:04 pm #18585

Got ya. Yeah, it doesn’t make sense…

I’m emailing Jason to notify him of this problem. Is the login info you submitted before still valid? He will probably need it.

Posted: Sunday Jul 8th, 2012 at 12:05 am #18596

Thank you.
Yes. It is still valid.

Posted: Sunday Jul 8th, 2012 at 7:22 am #18608

Got it, thanks. I already emailed him. I’ll let you know as soon as I have news, or he’ll just post a reply here. :)

Posted: Monday Jul 9th, 2012 at 10:32 pm #18748
Staff Member

Hi there. Thanks for the follow-ups here.

~ I apologize for the delayed response. Thanks for your patience.

The error code “10422”, is normally associated with a funding source problem. However, I’ve also seen this error occur whenever a PayPal account is not capable of charging transactions on a recurring basis. You might check with PayPal support, to make sure that your account is indeed setup to handle recurring billing.

Funding source problems can stem from account configuration. You might take a look through your PayPal account profile, and make sure there’s nothing in your PayPal Profile that might prevent your funding source from going through. For example, is the funding source associated with a checking account, and if so, do you accept checks? Is there a country block configured on your account, of any kind? Or, is the funding source associated with the same exact PayPal account as the one you’ve configured to run s2Member Pro as merchant with? That can cause some problems as well.

You’ll want to test Express Checkout transactions with a separate PayPal account, one which is NOT the same as the merchant account that you’ve integrated s2Member with (i.e. a personal PayPal account perhaps).

If problems persist, there are some related threads
in the PayPal support forum, which might be of interest to you.
https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums/nvp/error-no-10422-customer-must-choose-new-funding-sources#answer-166692
https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums/general-support/new-and-confused#answer-181204

If nothing gives, I recommend that you contact PayPal support, and ask them to identify the transaction that failed, and to explain why their system is rejecting the funding source. If there is anything more that we can do, please let us know. We’ll be happy to help resolve this issue for you, but at this point, I think PayPal needs to get involved for you as well. The error code: 10422, indicates a funding source issue, and since there’s not a funding source issue that we can identify for you, you’ll want to contact their support dept for further details on the error.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.