latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Change username and password fields?

Home Forums Community Forum Change username and password fields?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:23 am #25190

Hello,

I am considering using S2Member to build a member portal into our association website, and was hoping to find a way to circumvent the default options of username and password to match the procedure used by the state and national associations, which is Last Name for one field, ID# for the other. Obviously, multiple people can have the same last name in this scenario, the distinguishing factor being their ID#.

Is there a way for me to implement this? Would I need to do it backwards and have the ID# be the username and somehow modify the password strength settings to allow short character-only passwords? Am I able to change the login display to read ID# and Last Name instead of username and password?

This functionality is crucial for our needs, so I appreciate any input as to whether S2Member can meet them!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:39 pm #25236
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Amanda,

s2Member uses the WordPress authentication system and the WordPress user base, so in your scenario the question is really whether or not WordPress can accomodate such modifications.

By default, WordPress requires three things: Username, Email Address, Password. It is possible to customize your WordPress installation in such a way that your registration page hides the Email field and randomly generates a unique email address, but you’d want to make sure the email address it’s generating doesn’t actually belong to someone!

The Username would be what you’d use for the ID# and, as you said, you’d need to modify the WordPress password strength feature so that it allows short passwords.

All of this customization would happen on the WordPress side. As long as your user authenticates with WordPress, s2Member should work as expected.

Providing support for such customizations is outside the scope of our support policy, however if you need to hire a programmer we recommend posting your job on jobs.wordpress.net.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.