latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Clarification on Error 36

Home Forums Community Forum Clarification on Error 36

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 12 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Dec 18th, 2012 at 9:42 am #34928

Been going through this thread but not clear on how to fix this

http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-error-36-transaction-failed/page/3/#post-31638

New members can sign up with MasterCard and I think Visa, but no PayPal (all my payments are recurring)

Can anyone help?

ALso, I have no logs in the s2members-logs folder, just an .htaccess file

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:17 am #35026

Hi George.

What versions of WP and s2Member Pro do you have?

ALso, I have no logs in the s2members-logs folder, just an .htaccess file

Make sure you have logging enabled, please. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging[/hilite]

The log entries would help.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 10:04 am #35062

I’m on Wp version 3.4.2 and just upgraded to the latest S2Member version.

The logging wasn’t enabled, so just did that.

That option is purely just for logging the data in the log file isn’t it?

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 10:20 am #35068

Cool. Let me know when you get entries in the logs, and post them here, x’ing out private info, please.

Yeah, it just logs under s2member-files data that can be helpful to solve problems.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:59 pm #35113

Here’s the other thing that’s up lately…

Members aren’t getting upgraded once they pay (the credit cards are still working, just not paypal)

This some how related?

Posted: Friday Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:02 am #35217

Don’t know why… I’d have to see the log entries for the transactions with that issue.

Posted: Friday Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:57 am #35223

OK, which log file do I need to upload?

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:44 am #35322

From all the logs.

It’ll probably be simpler if you send me the login info, I’ll get them via FTP directly, and I can also review the s2Member settings in the dashboard to see if I notice something wrong there. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Please include what transaction had the error so I look for it in the logs.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 1:12 am #36218

Hey, just following up on this thread.. I’m still having problems with this. I did submit my details through the private contact form a few weeks back….

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 1:48 am #36221
Staff Member

Thank you. I’m communicating via email with you, but I will post an update here also once the issue on your installation has been identified. Please check your email for a private status update. Thanks for your patience.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 2:13 am #36224
Staff Member

Related issue at X.com PayPal forums. Posting this as a reference only.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:42 am #36228
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

I’m going to reference this thread again, because we worked to resolve an issue similar (NOT exactly the same), but similar to this one awhile back; and s2Member v121201+ resolves this.

The issue we worked on the past, was related to the same error code that we’re discussing in this thread, however the previous issue was resolved with assistance from PayPal MTS. It was related to the TRXTYPE variable, which needed to be passed as TRXTYPE=A instead of TRXTYPE=S in the Set Express Checkout API call. Upgrading to s2Member v121201+ resolves this.

Now…

The issue that you’re reporting here in this thread,
we’ve not been able to put our finger on just yet, but let’s continue to work to that end here.

I’ve just completed a thorough review of your s2Member log files, and what’s confusing about the Error #36 with HOSTCODE=10422, is that it’s not happening to every single customer, only a few. From my review of your log files, it would appear that, like in the previous issue we dealt with, this is ONLY happening to PayPal Express Checkout transactions, and is not affecting on-site credit card processing at all.

Upon further review, I found that your installation successfully processes Express Checkout transactions (i.e. this error does NOT occur at all times), because you have a record in your s2Member log files referencing Payflow 'CORRELATIONID' => 'c98ddc341ac91', and it was indeed paid via Express Checkout with a successful result.

I tried to find a difference between this success and others which failed, as recorded by your s2Member log files, and it appears this transaction that DID suceeed, was paid for by a PayPal account that was in an `unverified` state on the PayPal side of things. That’s quite common, and is normally NOT a red flag. However, since that is the only difference between a transaction that succeeded via Express Checkout, and the ones which did NOT suceeed, I’m investigating this with PayPal and I’ll let you know what I hear back. So far, they are still working to locate the issue for us.

In the mean time, I would like to monitor your existing installation, so please leave us with the access you granted privately so we can check on your log files. PayPal has recommended that we add one additional variable to your Payflow Express Checkout API calls, which is PAYMENTTYPE=any. I have updated your installation so we can monitor what happens going forward with this new variable. If you would like to run another test transaction of your own, please do; and please reply back so I can see it in your log files.

Thanks for your ongoing patience in this matter.
If I hear something more from PayPal MTS, I will certainly update you.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:55 am #36229

That’s awesome Jason thank you…

I’ve just completed a thorough review of your s2Member log files, and what’s confusing about the Error #36 with HOSTCODE=10422, is that it’s not happening to every single customer, only a few. From my review of your log files, it would appear that, like in the previous issue we dealt with, this is ONLY happening to PayPal Express Checkout transactions, and is not affecting on-site credit card processing at all.

Correct, only seems to happen with paypal express transactions.

However, I setup a special offer with Paypal Express buttons only, and that seems to work just fine.

I’ve sent the previous thread over to the technician that’s been reviewing this from Paypals side, but won’t hold my breath on that.

Thanks, look forward to your feedback.

Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:58 pm #36663
Staff Member
UPDATE: I’m going to review your log files again shortly. I will reply again with further details.
Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:10 pm #36672
Staff Member

There was only one additional PayPal Express Checkout transaction attempt since our last review, and that transaction was performed by you, and failed due to the same error. I suspect that it may have failed because you were attempting to use the same merchant PayPal account that is tied to your site?

I ran a test transaction of my own against PayPal Express Checkout and it succeeded where yours failed. My PayPal account was in a ‘verified’ state, so I think we can safely rule out verified vs. unverified as being the underlying problem.

Since this problem seems to ONLY affect some customers, and since the error code being returned by PayPal is regarding invalid funding sources, I would suggest that we take the error code for what it is. I’ll have to assume that some of your customers are attempting to use a funding source through their PayPal account that you’re unable to accept for one reason or another. I would contact PayPal about this matter now, and see if they can assist you further. You might also want to review your PayPal account configuration, to see if there are some funding sources which your account is configured to refuse.

NOTE: It’s common for a test that YOU run yourself, to fail with this error. It’s not possible to pay for something at your site via PayPal, where the site you’re paying for is your own (i.e. the customer/merchant account is the same). Thus, you’ll need a second PayPal account (or a friend/customer) to help you test this aspect of your live installation.

Please let me know if problems persist. Thanks!

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 12:03 am #36683

Hi Jason,

I was testing it with a PayPal consultant at the time of this error so that he could see.

They are investigating. I have a question though…

Was your test done through PayPal Pro form, or just express?

I can create a express button and it works fine. Although it does direct to the page /create afterwards which doesn’t exist (can I change that if I need to setup a backup payment?)

One thing the technician mentioned was something about my $1 transaction being recorded as a $1, but then $0 gets sent to PayPal as a request, if that makes any sense..

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 12:04 am #36684

O, this was a different PayPal account btw. I just need someone to test the PayPal pro form with Paypal.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 12:42 am #36688
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-ups.

Was your test done through PayPal Pro form, or just express?

It was through a Pro Form, using the PayPal Express Checkout option. My successful test transaction is recorded on your site, inside this log file: /wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/paypal-payflow-api.log. Just search for my name in that log file to locate the log related entries.

I can create a express button and it works fine. Although it does direct to the page /create afterwards which doesn’t exist (can I change that if I need to setup a backup payment?)

Using a “Button” only integration, s2Member will redirect the customer to your registration form after completing checkout at PayPal. If you have BuddyPress installed, your registration page is /create instead of /wp-login.php?action=register, because BuddyPress introduces it’s own registration system (which IS compatible with s2Member by the way).

NOTE: PayPal Buttons are not the same as Express Checkout. Buttons integrate with “PayPal Standard”, whereas Pro Forms integrate with “PayPal Pro”, in your case you’re integrating with “PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition)”.

s2Member makes a PayPal option available in it’s Pro Form integration with PayPal Pro. It’s that specific PayPal option (on a Pro Form), that uses PayPal Express Checkout.

One thing the technician mentioned was something about my $1 transaction being recorded as a $1, but then $0 gets sent to PayPal as a request, if that makes any sense..

The only thing comes to mind, is s2Member’s initial Set Express Checkout API call to PayPal, where we’re setting up a Billing Agreement, and we set AMT=0.00, as documented here: https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/documentation-tools/api/setexpresscheckout-api-operation-nvp

This is also documented in the PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) API docs.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:16 am #36693

thanks…

Using a “Button” only integration, s2Member will redirect the customer to your registration form after completing checkout at PayPal. If you have BuddyPress installed, your registration page is /create instead of /wp-login.php?action=register, because BuddyPress introduces it’s own registration system (which IS compatible with s2Member by the way).

Yes, buddypress is working great with S2Member. MY signup page however is different to /create. Can this be changed?

Also, I still cant patch my files as per this thread.

Can you please help me get these verified? NOt having any luck there…

Posted: Thursday Jan 10th, 2013 at 8:24 am #36859
Staff Member

Hi George. Thanks for your patience.

I just took a quick look at your installation files, because you mentioned you were unable to process the Multisite Patches provided by s2Member. It appears that a couple of files that s2Member needs to patch on your installation, were already patched by s2Member at some point.

However, s2Member was unable to verify these patches due to the line break style in these files. My guess is that you may have had some trouble patching WordPress v3.5, and then opened these files at some point in a Windows editor that did not preserve WordPress Unix-style line breaks. This got s2Member confused.

The latest version of s2Member was updated to support WordPress v3.5, and I’ve had those two specific installation files that s2Member was having trouble with on your installation, reset back to WordPress Unix-style line breaks. s2Member’s Multisite Patches can now be verified; and I don’t think you’ll have any further trouble with this going forward. If you do, please let us know.

It’s safe for you to re-run s2Member’s Multisite patches again for yourself, so you can verify what I’ve written here, if you like. Not necessary, but I thought you might like to see s2Member’s patches applied for yourself. If you would, please go to: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Multisite (Config)

Regarding BuddyPress slugs like: /blogs/create/, that’s really a question for the folks over at BuddyPress. However, I can provide you with some links that might help steer you down the right path on this.

Please check out this BuddyPress Codex article:
http://codex.buddypress.org/developer/customizing/changing-internal-configuration-settings/

I’m not sure you can change /blogs/create/ without using a filter. If you have trouble, even after reading the article above, you might take a look for a plugin that can help with this. Or, if you’re inclined to code it yourself, you can look for the bp_uri filter in the BuddyPress source code.

Please let us know if problems persist.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.