latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Controlling ability to edit, not view

Home Forums Community Forum Controlling ability to edit, not view

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Feb 21st, 2012 at 7:44 pm #5908

Hi!

I’ve been going through your forums and videos but I’m still unsure if S2Member will do what I am hoping for.

Here is what I want to happen (you can see the site in progress at http://www.belleham.com/wp):
1. The whole site is open to every/anyone for browsing
2. Anyone can register for free (Basic Member) and “claim” a listing to edit basic features (e.g., a visitor goes to the listing for XYZ Business. They can just view it OR click an “is this your business?” button and gain access to edit an ‘about us’ section and a link to the business’s website.) Registration must be manually approved before edits are allowed. Each listing would need it’s own “is this…” button so members are only buying edit rights to ONE listing at a time.
3. After registering to access the free basic edit feature, members can upgrade (Paid Member) their account (1yr reoccurring subscription) to have access to additional listing features (e.g., in addition to the basic features in #2, an upgraded account can show a google map to their location, POC information, and a photo gallery).
a. Paid Members can add the “Featured Listing” option which is an additional fee that expires every ten days.

Basically I don’t want to control access to content; I want to control the rights to modify specific content. Is this feasible?

Also, I don’t want anyone to be able to upgrade WITHOUT registering first. I’m hoping this will deter businesses from buying competitor’s listings and will provide us a POC at the business for sales follow up, etc. (Hopefully manual review would catch this but it’s a good safety.)

What do you think – did I find the right plugin?

Thank you so much –

Jess

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 1:18 pm #6291
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Jess,

All of what you described is possible with s2Member except for the ability to allow users to Edit content. s2Member does not provide any roles that allow users (registered, paid, or otherwise) to Edit pages/posts in WordPress. The role that s2Member gives all users is a variation of the ‘Subscriber’ role in WordPress.

Other customers have customized s2Member and integrated it with 3rd-party plugins that allow you to fine tune and tweak s2Member roles so that users can be given the ability to Edit, however since s2Member is not designed to give access to Editing posts/pages, there are other things to consider when making such customizations (such as security).

This may change in future versions of s2Member.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Raam Dev.
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.