latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

CSV Export to Excel then Import No Worky

Home Forums Community Forum CSV Export to Excel then Import No Worky

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Aug 7th, 2012 at 6:54 pm #21418

We are trying to integrate a CSV import.
I have read the documentation and exported an example CSV from S2 Member first.
I understand the format (,”text”,) for each entry.

The problem is that no matter what I do, when I bring the file into Excel then save it, the quotes are gone and cause S2 Member to not import anything. Zero. It clearly needs the quotes, but that is what I am challenged to provide.

When I bring the good S2 Member CSV into Excel I have used the “Get External Data” command in a multitude of ways and the normal open command but no matter what, if I save the file, the quotes are gone and I just have commas, and these files fail to import.

I have read in the forums that others are able to “just open the file and edit it in Excel”, for me that is a dream so far.

Any insight or ideas would be much appreciated.

I am on a Mac running Lion with Microsoft Excel 2011.

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:31 am #21492
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Justin,

This is a setting problem within Excel. When you save the file as CSV, there are options where you can tell it to enclose the fields in double-quotes. I don’t have Excel on my computer, but I’m sure if you poke around Excel or search Google you can find instructions for that setting.

Posted: Wednesday Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:59 am #21521

Thanks but that’s not true. There are no options on export where you can enclose the fields in double quotes. There is only, Save as CSV. I have poked in Excel, and as I pointed out before, have tried a multitude of data import functions to no avail.

Further, I have used Google and it appears that others have tackled this before, but it requires macros and code. This is a solution for a client so I can’t really make them do macros and code, when the S2 documentation says it is easy.

Maybe I am missing something obvious but I don’t think so… anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Thursday Aug 9th, 2012 at 3:57 am #21598

I’ve never used Excel, only OpenOffice, and always assumed that Excel could do this without trouble. But you seem to be right, after searching a bit, I can only find macros to double quote the values.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291296/en-us
http://www.markinns.com/articles/full/export_excel_csvs_with_double_quotes/

In OpenOffice, you Save As, select CSV as the format and check the “Edit Filter Settings” box to make sure you have double quotes around the values.

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.