latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom Capabilities and levels

Home Forums Community Forum Custom Capabilities and levels

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:59 pm #20237

I am deep into a trial integration before purchasing the PRO version..

I know I can auto generate a shortcode for a buy now button dynamically based on a previous step as outlined here: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1604 and I discovered that an existing customer that purchases an independent custom capability is automatically given the new capabilities then dealing with independent custom capabilities as seen here: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/email-on-ccap-purchase-by-existing-member/

Does this work the same way if I am not using independent custom capabilities? I already have the logic that builds my buy now button shortcode, but I am trying to avoid the hassle of making users signup and login before they can make a purchase.

Thanks,

David

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  David Ray.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:44 am #20301

Hi David.

Does this work the same way if I am not using independent custom capabilities?

You mean customizing the shortcode attributes with variables? Yes, it works with any of the shortcodes. And you can give the user custom capabilities even if you’re selling a level, it’d be the level plus certain custom capabilities.

but I am trying to avoid the hassle of making users signup and login before they can make a purchase.

This can be used for the shortcodes of buttons/pro-forms to sell to new users as well, not just existing ones. If you use the button, the new user would checkout first and register second. If using the pro-form he’d register and pay in one step when using PayPal Pro or Authorize.Net, or pay in a second step when using Express Checkout.

Does that help? :)

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:42 am #20315

You mean customizing the shortcode attributes with variables? Yes, it works with any of the shortcodes. And you can give the user custom capabilities even if you’re selling a level, it’d be the level plus certain custom capabilities.

Thank you for the reply. I would like to expand a little on the question.

My membership options page has check boxes that are attributed with the different capabilities. Then depending on which capabilities the user selects they are sent to a new page where the shortcode is generated based on their selections. If an existing member views the membership options page they are presented only with the options that they do not currently have the capabilities for. If an existing member chooses to purchase a new capability, will the new capability be added to their profile and not override the existing capabilities?

For example a user checks out using the shortcode [… level=”1″ ccaps=”cap_one” …] and then comes back later and checks out using [… level=”1″ ccaps=”cap_two” …]. Will this give the member both ccaps?

Thank you for you help.
David

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  David Ray.
Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:55 am #20317

Another follow-up question. Does the free version of the plugin have an s2member configuration export option? I copied my database to a live webserver to test some of the paypal steps. WHen I copied the database over, none of the s2member settings were copied over with the database.

Thanks,

David

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:27 pm #20319
Eduan
Username: Eduan

My membership options page has check boxes that are attributed with the different capabilities. Then depending on which capabilities the user selects they are sent to a new page where the shortcode is generated based on their selections. If an existing member views the membership options page they are presented only with the options that they do not currently have the capabilities for. If an existing member chooses to purchase a new capability, will the new capability be added to their profile and not override the existing capabilities?

For example a user checks out using the shortcode [… level=”1″ ccaps=”cap_one” …] and then comes back later and checks out using [… level=”1″ ccaps=”cap_two” …]. Will this give the member both ccaps?

I believe this is correct, if the user doesn’t have a ccap then it will just add it to the user, there also methods to remove them and then put them back again.

Also, I believe you would accomplish this with advanced conditionals, which you can find under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals.

Another follow-up question. Does the free version of the plugin have an s2member configuration export option? I copied my database to a live webserver to test some of the paypal steps. WHen I copied the database over, none of the s2member settings were copied over with the database.

I’m not sure it does, the current version of s2Member saves it settings somewhere else I believe, if you copy the s2Member folders it should also come with the settings I think, never tried it though.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:56 pm #20336

@Eduan Thank you for your reply

I’m not sure it does, the current version of s2Member saves it settings somewhere else I believe, if you copy the s2Member folders it should also come with the settings I think, never tried it though.

Unfortunately I copied the database and the folders over and the settings themselves didn’t come across.

Hopefully somebody can offer me some additional info.

Thanks!

David

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:06 am #20390

Hi David.

The s2Member settings would be in the [hilite mono]options[/hilite] and [hilite mono]usermeta[/hilite] tables, if I’m not mistaken.

s2Member Pro has a settings export/import tool, but it’s not in the free version. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› s2Member® Options[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:53 am #20400
cassel
Username: cassel

From my experience, yes, both ccaps will be listed (you can have an infinite number), however, if the member makes the purchase without being logged in, the ccaps will NOT be added automatically. So far, it is a bit of an annoyance as i have that happen often as i have several ccaps packages and if a member makes a second (or third, or fourth) purchase, without being logged in, the member does NOT get access immediately as i have to go in and add the ccaps manually.

I am not sure if using the pro-form from s2Member pro would solve the problem as i am not using it, and i am not using it due to previous Paypal oddities. I think it changed though, i have not checked yet.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.