latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom Capabilities questions

Home Forums Community Forum Custom Capabilities questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:09 pm #20411

I have watched the videos and read all the posts but I would appreciate clarification if possible about how this works. I notice that the custom capabilities videos were posted a year ago and include mention of future versions allowing a more automated way to create custom capabilities.

I want to sell access to individual pages that each contain video lessons. I want the user to be able to log in and see which lessons they have purchased with links to access them and be able to add/buy new lessons.

From the video I see that I can create a PayPal button for each and using tags or categories to sell each separately. But the video shows editing the funstions.php file and having a separate conditional for each tag, category, etc. Is this what I would need to do? Each time i add a new lesson page I would need to edit the functions.php file?

Thanks
Stuart

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:19 pm #20412
cassel
Username: cassel

I do not know about the functions.php, but i regularly use custom capabilities, and in different ways. Here are some examples:

I have one course called Elements, and all the pages require the user to have “elements” as a ccaps to access them. When i add a new tutorial every week, i dont have to do anything more than set the required ccaps as “elements” and all those with that ccaps in their subscription will be able to access them. I have currently 55 such pages.

I also have workshops. Each workshop can be purchased separately. So each workshop is assigned a ccaps like “workshopmay2012” or “workshopjune2012”. So when the user purchases a package, only one ccaps will be given, so he will be able to access only that one workshop, even if i have 10 others.

The main difference i have from what you are mentioning is that my tutorials and workshops are on separate pages and not posts, so i dont have to bother with tags and categories.

Hope it helps. If not, just ask again.

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:34 pm #20413

Thanks – helps a lot to know you are doing what I am trying to do. i too will be selling “workshops” on separate pages. I am confused because the S2Member video goes into detail about how to edit the functions.pho file to do this. That’s why I wondered if the video was out of date…

So I will try this without the php code first….

thanks

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:55 pm #20416
cassel

Maybe it has to do with blog posts instead of separate pages? I know when i started, i kept looking for where to set the tags on the pages, while it was on posts. I am not using posts for this.
You can visit my site if it can help: http://scrapbookcampus.com

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:19 pm #20419

You made my day, week… Just what I am trying to do. And I am using Headway. So this is done with Headway and S2Member?

Thanks
Stuart

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:34 pm #20422
cassel

You made my day, week… Just what I am trying to do. And I am using Headway. So this is done with Headway and S2Member?

Yes, this is Headway 2.x and s2Member.

Posted: Friday Aug 3rd, 2012 at 3:43 pm #21136

cassel

Any chance I could ask a few questions off line? I am close but need a little real-world experience and I am trying to do what you have accomplished

Thanks
Stuart
Stuart@bovine-design.org

Posted: Friday Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:39 pm #21145
cassel

If it is related to s2M specifically, i would think it would be more beneficial to everyone to post in this thread.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.