latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom Capability question

Home Forums Community Forum Custom Capability question

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  David Roberts 3 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:39 am #61870
David Roberts
Username: inbama

Membership on one of our sites is free. We have s2member pro, as well as paypal pro. We have a conference upcoming in Feb, which we want people to be able to register. Some will register with just themselves attending. Others will register as a couple (two). There is a charge for attending for each. On the back-end, it would be nice for those registering for the conference to be able to access a special page unique to them. What is the best, and most simple way to register for upcoming events, etc?

BTW there are a couple of conferences a year, as well as other meetings, so I’m thinking a custom capability would be best. I’m just so knew to this part of s2member that I need wisdom from you.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:38 am #61874
cassel
Username: cassel

Hi David,
Here is what I would do.
If your registration to the event is done out of the s2M system, that would be a challenge, but if you can have s2M somewhat involved here could be a way to do it.

1- have a page where you could sell the registration to the event itself.
2- on the registration/purchase button, include a custom capability like Event2013 or a name that would identify the particular event.
3- you can then create a page for them, and have it protected (in the top right box, when you create the page in WP) with the ccap called Event2013. This means that those who made the purchase on #2 and got the ccap will then be able to access the content of that page.
4- alternatively, you could protect the content with conditional instead. Then, your code, in the page, could look like this:

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_Event2013)]
Display the page with the content you want them to see
[/s2If]
[s2If !current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_Event2013)]
You could include a sale pitch here and a link to the page where they could register for the event.
[/s2If]

Would that work?

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 12:12 pm #61876
David Roberts

The workflow sounds like it would meet our need perfectly. The only part I’m not sure about is how to handle a member bringing their wife, or guest. The charge for the first person is $xxx. The charge for the second (third, etc.) is also $xxx. Suggestions on how to handle???

BTW: thank you so much for your reply!

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 12:45 pm #61878
David Roberts

I think I see how to ‘Wrap’ multiple shortcodes as checkout options, as being the way to go. For instance, the cost of one guest is $150/$250 for couple, for the three day event.
Now, I’m wandering how to included a line for them to leave comments/tell us the name or their guest/spouse. How do we know who is coming using the above method. We know who’s name is on the card, but often it may not be the same.

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 7:12 pm #61890
cassel

I wish I could answer this question but I never had a field to enter information. Maybe you would need to create a form of some kind?

If you don’t have too many at once, maybe you can ask them to email you the actual names (like you said, sometimes, even the name on the credit card MIGHT not be the name of the person coming). Otherwise, I wonder if Gravity forms would work? I have absolutely NO IDEA myself.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come and help you out.

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 10:48 pm #61894
David Roberts

Thanks for the help. Maybe someone will share a way to gather extra info during the sale of a custom capability.

As for wrapping shortcodes, I think I may have spoke a little too. With the following shortcodes (generated by s2member) the form is spread all over the page.

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form]

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="*" ccaps="eventfeb2013" desc="FHF GATHERING- Feb 19, 20, and 21, 2014" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="yourquantumlife.com" ra="150.00" rp="1" rt="L" rr="BN" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="0" default_country_code="" captcha="0" /]

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="*" ccaps="eventfeb2013" desc="Couple- FHF GATHERING- Feb 19, 20, and 21, 2014" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="yourquantumlife.com" ra="250.00" rp="1" rt="L" rr="BN" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="0" default_country_code="" captcha="0" /]

[/s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form]

The page is here: http://yourquantumlife.com/fhfmeeting-feb-2014/

Any ideas on what’s wrong or the other problem listed above?

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 11:12 pm #61895
cassel

Do you have the latest version of s2Member?
It has a CSS/Lazy js loading. Switch it from yes to no or no to yes and see if it works.

Check that as it can mess up the formatting (I had that issue, so I set mine to NO but then, I don’t need to wrap shortcodes).

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 11:20 pm #61896
David Roberts

Oh yes, we have the latest pro version. As for changing the setting from yes to no, etc, where would that be done?

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 11:22 pm #61897
cassel

In the General Options.

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 11:34 pm #61898
David Roberts

Not sure I’ve ever seen it there. I’ve never seen it in general options. Which area?

Posted: Thursday Dec 12th, 2013 at 11:39 pm #61899
cassel

S2Member(Pro) > General Options > CSS/JS Lazy Loading
(and it is new of less than a month, so that would be why you never saw it before)

Posted: Friday Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:21 am #61901
David Roberts

Thank you so much!! Great help. As it turns out, there was an upgrade I missed. Thanks again! You’re an awesome help. Now I’ve still gotta figure out how to gather the attendants names/information.

Posted: Tuesday Dec 17th, 2013 at 9:03 am #61999
David Roberts

Wandering if someone might help me understand conditionals just a little bit more?

I’ve got the following on my registration page…

[s2If !is_user_logged_in()]

Login widget in left column / Open Registration for website form on right column

[/s2If]

[s2If is_user_logged_in()]

Paypal pro form with CCap to purchase event 

[/s2If]
[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2013)]Brief Synopsis of Schedule

[/s2If]

As you can see, there are three conditionals. The middle one is for someone logged in, to be able to register for the event. Is there a way to express hide from those already registered, who have already purchased the ccap ‘eventfeb2013’, yet still show to others who ARE logged in?

Posted: Tuesday Dec 17th, 2013 at 10:22 am #62000
cassel

Yes, you can combine conditionals like this:

Login widget in left column / Open Registration for website form on right column
[/s2If]

[s2If is_user_logged_in() AND !current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2013)]
[/s2If]

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2013)]
Brief Synopsis of Schedule
[/s2If]

Edit: corrected the typo in the code

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  cassel.
Posted: Tuesday Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:12 pm #62002
David Roberts

Thank you. When I add the extra conditional I receive a fatal error:
Fatal error: s2If, malformed conditional [ is_user_logged_in()AND ] in /home1/fhf/public_html/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/classes/sc-if-conds-in.inc.php on line 170
Nothing looks obviously wrong to me. I’ll read more on it but meanwhile, do you see what may be amiss?

Posted: Tuesday Dec 17th, 2013 at 2:11 pm #62009
cassel

My bad, I copied and pasted inaccurately:

[/s2If]

[s2If is_user_logged_in() AND !current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2013)]
[/s2If]

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2013)]
Brief Synopsis of Schedule
[/s2If]

Try this.

Posted: Friday Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:33 pm #62060
David Roberts

Any ideas on why I receive this error in Internet Explorer: Invalid form configuration. Invalid “custom” attribute. When provided, must start with your domain name.

Everything seems to work fine with Firefox. The form attempting to load is this:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form register="1" level="0" ccaps="" desc="Register for this site now!" custom="yourquantumlife.com" tp="0" tt="D" captcha="clean" success="http://yourquantumlife.com/wp-login.php"/]

Anyone else care to see if they see this error? the site is http://yourquantumlife.com/fhfgathering

Posted: Friday Dec 20th, 2013 at 3:31 pm #62062
David Roberts

Just changed to http:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form register="1" level="0" ccaps="" desc="Register for this site now!" custom="http://yourquantumlife.com" tp="0" tt="D" captcha="clean" success="http://yourquantumlife.com/wp-login.php"/]

I read early on, that it was important to remain consistent on the site with http or www. I am not aware of anywhere on the site using www. I took over this site several months ago with a backup and upload to a new server. Where might I look to see if there are traces of www somewhere? Also, it’s on a secure page. Am I supposed to use https?

Posted: Friday Dec 20th, 2013 at 3:32 pm #62063
David Roberts

By the way, there are two forms on the page protected with conditionals. Any chance it’s causing a conflict there?

Posted: Friday Dec 20th, 2013 at 5:36 pm #62071
cassel

By the way, there are two forms on the page protected with conditionals. Any chance it’s causing a conflict there?

Definitely. The system cannot have two forms on the same page. It can have several buttons, but not pro-forms.

Any ideas on why I receive this error in Internet Explorer: Invalid form configuration. Invalid “custom” attribute. When provided, must start with your domain name.

Your custom= variable has to have the whole URL, including the http and such, while in your example, it only has part of the URL. Try to add the complete URL and see if it works better.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  cassel.
Posted: Saturday Dec 21st, 2013 at 12:20 pm #62075
David Roberts

Thanks… i think I’ve gotta rethnk what I am doing… I’ve got

[s2If !is_user_logged_in()]link to login or Paypal Pro Free subscriber form for free registration to site[/s2If]
[s2If is_user_logged_in() AND !current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2014)]Paypal Pro form for purchasing ccap[/ s2If]
[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_eventfeb2014)]information purchased with ccap[/s2If]

I only see two alternatives: replace the ccap purchase with a paypal button, or create two pages and use a link (with conditionals) to direct them to the appropriate page. Is there another alternative that can be done? I sure with the Paypal Pro subsriber form could also sale a ccap. Is there any way this could be done?

Posted: Saturday Dec 21st, 2013 at 12:26 pm #62076
cassel

I personally like the idea of making a main page, with the two options spelled out and then, direct each option to its own page with a pro-form if you want. I find it looks like a seamless process (even if you add one click) to get to the form to fill.

Maybe give this a try with a few pages and see how the process flows.

Posted: Saturday Dec 21st, 2013 at 12:55 pm #62077
David Roberts

Excellent. I’ll give that a try and s2member will help make it look sweet. Thanks for your help!

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.