latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Everyone blocked-Max Failed login attempts

Home Forums Community Forum Everyone blocked-Max Failed login attempts

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Mike (Volunteer Moderator) 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Aug 4th, 2013 at 4:25 pm #55083
t2media
Username: t2media

I have a very large event that started this past Thursday and with the biggest traffic numbers looking to come next week. I planned for awhile to switch hosts, build up multiple servers, load balancing , etc in between our weekly events.

We had an event last Tues and I went to do the server move Weds and everything transferred over fine, all pages were reached, S2 member was working fine and then I started getting emails about people being blocked from logging in. Usually when ever this has happened I have just reset the Brute Force IP/Login Restrictions and all is fine. Not this time, no one could access. I then tried in another browser and I couldn’t even log in as admin.

I searched here and it seems there has been no real answer except that a few have just deleted S2 and did a clean re-install. I was up against the wall and I had another event starting Thurs., so I had no choice but to push DNS back to my old host and hope to get thru the weekend. We did, but like I mentioned, the heaviest traffic will come this upcoming week and I do not trust our current server build and want to move this asap to the multiple server setup I have waiting at my other host, but I cannot have everyone blocked from access and I do not want to go thru a clean install of S2 now and have to redo enter all my setting throughout S2 member pro. Everything was working perfect with the other host with my setting and I do not want to risk anything getting entered incorrectly now as my next event starts Weds.

Any help in clearing this up is appreciated without having to re-install from scratch. This is the last thing I would have expected to happen.

Last thing, I also had an issue with it completing payments on the new host. I could buy, payment would go thru, I would get my receipt (PayPal), BUT these purchase tests were for CCAPS buys and even though the payment went thru and I was charged, the Custom Capabilities were not showing up under my membership. Now my new host thought it was a PayPal issue… maybe as they were trying to send that CCAPS info back to the site database that it was possible PayPal had a caching issue with DNS and was trying to push that info back to the old server instead of the new. The server admin was watching the database as I was making each test purchase and no entries were coming into the database. Does anyone know or can confirm this would be on PayPals side or is there a server setting I need to change/correct?

Thanks for any info… and time is very tight here as I have an event tonight (Sun) and then I only have 2 free days before the next event.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Aug 4th, 2013 at 6:09 pm #55117

We had an event last Tues and I went to do the server move Weds and everything transferred over fine, all pages were reached, S2 member was working fine and then I started getting emails about people being blocked from logging in. Usually when ever this has happened I have just reset the Brute Force IP/Login Restrictions and all is fine. Not this time, no one could access. I then tried in another browser and I couldn’t even log in as admin.

Very sorry to hear that. Thanks for reporting this important issue.

Please list all of the other plugins you’re running together with s2Member® for us. s2Member® will never (under any circumstance) block an administrative user from the Dashboard. This is hard-coded into the software so it will not happen, regardless of configuration.

For this to happen, it would indicate to me there is a larger issue, and possibly another plugin in conflict with s2Member® in some way. Seeing a list of all active plugins on your installation may allow us to assist you further. In particular, I would look closely at any plugin which modifies the way WordPress® deals with Transient data. See: http://codex.wordpress.org/Transients_API

Plugins that do object caching are known to cause problems with this, and we commonly recommend that s2Member® not be run together with plugins configured to do object caching. Page caching is fine, but caching objects (depending on your configuration) is known to cause problems; particularly with Transient data; and this is how IP Restrictions are monitored (via the WordPress® Transient API).

Last thing, I also had an issue with it completing payments on the new host. I could buy, payment would go thru, I would get my receipt (PayPal), BUT these purchase tests were for CCAPS buys and even though the payment went thru and I was charged, the Custom Capabilities were not showing up under my membership. Now my new host thought it was a PayPal issue… maybe as they were trying to send that CCAPS info back to the site database that it was possible PayPal had a caching issue with DNS and was trying to push that info back to the old server instead of the new. The server admin was watching the database as I was making each test purchase and no entries were coming into the database. Does anyone know or can confirm this would be on PayPals side or is there a server setting I need to change/correct?

We’ll need to see log files before we can assist with this.
If you already have logging enabled, please see possible issues during post-processing.
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› s2Member® Log Viewer

If you need assistance with this, please submit your log files (or a Dashboard login) privately.
Please use: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.