latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Extend Specific Page Access Restrictions ?

Home Forums Community Forum Extend Specific Page Access Restrictions ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 1:59 am #16824
Erik Kampe
Username: kampester

Hi All

I need help understanding options to configure page protection between S2Members:

1) Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions
2) Member Level Protection

First question, can they be combined? So that members at a specific level can access “Content Pages” protected by S2 members “Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions” Method?

I did an experiment test with very strange results and need help to understand some of the coding semantics controlling different security features.

Succinctly, I setup a Key product/content page attempting to give access in 2 ways : (1) via Page Restrictions (Payp[al Buy Now) and (2) member levels 2-4 access, however only level 4 members can access the Page

I would like to have both BUY NOW Page access and offer access to this page to my Level 2-4 level members as part their subscriptions..

One immediate question I need answered, is can I can control dynamically what members can access a “Specifc Page/Post” protected content?

Right now I can not determine what capabilities are offered to members who have Level 4 Roles. For some reason they can access the Restricted Page but other members who should have access ( i.e level 2 and level 3) can not.

I can only assume that some specific capabilities can be extended.

SITE CONFIG:
Wordpress 3.2, BuddyPress 1,5, S2MemberPRO & Paypal Pro

Thanks – Kampester

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 7:44 am #16887
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Erik,

1) Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions
2) Member Level Protection

First question, can they be combined?

No, they cannot be combined. You cannot restrict the same piece of content with both membership restrictions and Specific Page/Post restrictions. The only way to get around this is to duplicate the content, using one for membership access and the other for Specific Post/Page Buy Now access (which does not require, and cannot be accessed by, a membership account).

Right now I can not determine what capabilities are offered to members who have Level 4 Roles. For some reason they can access the Restricted Page but other members who should have access ( i.e level 2 and level 3) can not.

s2Member Membership Levels are cumulative, meaning higher levels have access to everything granted to the lower levels. So, if you want a piece of content to be available to Level 1-4, you must protect it with only Level 1 (if you protect it with Level 4, then Levels 1-3 won’t have access to it; however, if it’s protected with Level 1, then Levels 2-4 will automatically have access).

If you need finer control over access restrictions (e.g., you want to mix the content granted to levels), then you should use Custom Capabilities.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 10:34 am #16903
Erik Kampe

HI Raam…

Thanks… for the response.

I tried to highlight in my post, that level 4 members DO get access to my Restricted page??

Why? How?

There must be a capabilities setting withing Roles & Capabilities framework of WP? Or there must be a away to provide an exception with s2-hacks.. The only reason I went with S2 is for this kind of customization…..

I would love to see S2 provide the ability to work with dynamic content, providing prospects different options to access my products is a great way to market and price test… Furthermore, in my case the Page Restriction has negative value if you can NOT mingle page access options, because of the burden on content management. Specifically, on the vendor side where duplicating dynamic premium content is not only wasteful but not a scalable business practice.

On the marketing side offering a Pay Per View option is more or less a dummy offer to highlight the Membership value, not being able to mix these via (code) greatly diminishes the potential value of the PAGE Restriction feature, in my opinion..

Regardless I am enjoying the flexibility and customization, and looking forward to unleashing the powers of S2

Cheers Kampester

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 7:50 pm #16943
Raam Dev
Staff Member

I tried to highlight in my post, that level 4 members DO get access to my Restricted page??

Why? How?

If you’ve marked content as restricted to any Level between 1 – 4, then Level 4 members will have access to it (that is expected behavior).

If you’ve restricted content to a specific Custom Capability, then only members who have that Custom Capability on their account (either manually added through editing the user’s account or added during signup through a Pro-Form or Custom Capability Buy Now button) will be allowed to access that content.

Dynamic content can be protected in many different ways: Using tags or categories (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Category Access Restrictions), using advanced URI restrictions (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions), or by inserting s2Member conditionals and other PHP code directly into your WordPress theme templates (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals and Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced Query Conditionals).

Posted: Thursday Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:53 pm #17139
Erik Kampe

If you’ve marked content as restricted to any Level between 1 – 4, then Level 4 members will have access to it (that is expected behavior).

Ramm this is what I am seeking how does S2member extend level 4 privileges to a Page/Post Restricted page?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Erik Kampe.
Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 12:43 am #17455
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Erik,

I’m not sure what you mean… could you elaborate?

Levels in s2Member are cumulative, which means users that have a higher level gain access to content protected with a lower level. If you protect a post/page with Level 2, then a user with Level 3 will be able to access the page, because a user with Level 3 will have access to everything limited to Level 0, Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.