latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

fake, spam members – how to block them

Home Forums Community Forum fake, spam members – how to block them

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Sep 6th, 2012 at 10:09 pm #24442
Frank Epton
Username: franclin

I have several paypal pro forms and one donation form. All have required fields but somehow I’m getting fake registrations. I know they are fake because none of the required fields are filled. Most often they are Hotmail accounts.

I thought re-captcha was enabled but I don’t see it on the page: http://ccarts.ca/membership-application-form/organization-member-type-2-annual-payment/

I have checked the “CAPTCHA Anti-Spam Security ( for s2Member Pro Forms )” and I have my public and private keys properly filled in.

– is there a way to put a hidden field into the form so that I can at least identify which form the spam is coming from?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Sep 6th, 2012 at 10:21 pm #24443
Frank Epton

Just saw that the reCaptcha field on the form short was set to “0”

... captcha="0" /]

I’ve changed that to “1” and captcha is back. Ugly, hard to use but it’s back. Any idea how it would have been turned off?

Still interested in the invisible form ID so that I can track which form is being targeted.

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 6:26 am #24501

Hi Frank.

I’m glad you found the issue. :)

I don’t know why it was deactivated. Does someone else also manage your site that may have decided to not have a captcha in the forms?

About tracking the forms, maybe you could use the custom values? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes -> custom[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 12:53 pm #24540
Frank Epton

I think I understand you idea to use to use a custom short code to identify the page but I’m not sure how to implement it. I think the simplest method would be to apply the form description to the notification email I receive when a new member is registered. desc=”Gold Membership @ $29/mo”

How I implement that I’m not sure. Do I add it to the “General options/ Email configuration/new users notification message”? This is what I have now.

New User Registration on your site:
Canadian Conference of the Arts

New or returning member : %%new_returning_member%%
language selection : %%language_selection%%
Honorific : %%honorific_name%%
First Name : %%user_first_name%%
Last Name : %%user_last_name%%
Email: %%user_email%%
Address: %%Street_Address%%
City: %%City_Town%%
Province: %%State_Province%%
Postal Code: %%Postal_Zip_Code%%
Telephone: %%Telephone%%
Mobile: %%Mobile%%
Educational Institution: %%Educational_institution%%
Name of Organization: %%Name of Organization%%
Size of Organization: %%size_of_organization%%
Cultural Sub-sector: %%Cultural_sub_sector%% %%other%%	
Job Title: %%Title_job%%
%%Publishing_individual%%
%%publishing_corporate%%
Add to mailing list (1=yes): %%receive_email%%

User ID: %%user_id%%
Username: %%user_login%%
IP Address: %%user_ip%%

Do I add

page description : %%desc%% 

to this list?

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 12:59 pm #24543
Frank Epton

Nope, just tested that and it does not work.

Posted: Saturday Sep 8th, 2012 at 7:10 am #24618

No, there isn’t a replacement code for the description attribute. If you use the custom values, you can use the replacement code [hilite mono]%%cv1%%[/hilite] in the New User email, for example. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Email Configuration -> New User -> Admin[/hilite]

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.