latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Feature clarifications

Home Forums Community Forum Feature clarifications

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 20th, 2012 at 6:56 pm #14034

Hi,

Please allow me to ask several question in one topic.

1. Can you please elaborate on “How can I allow Free Registration?” FAQ. I can’t understand it fully. I am planning to use S2 to manage/control users access but I do not need members to pay (not yet). I need at least 4 user type who can register for free but should have different access.

2. How do you prevent sharing of username/passwords? Is it from a cookie on users machine or from a database flag? How long do you usually keep the session alive when user is not making any activity (browsing). Our site will contain mainly of video files. Hence, most user can stay on the site idle but they are not actually idle because they are watching videos. Can your system prevents user from idling while watching so that the session won’t expire and no other user can use the username/password?

3. How extensive is your custom profile fields support? Does it support conditional fields based on previous fields. IE, in city, does the option changes based on country selected? Can I create custom fields that will be required during registrations?

4. In what aspects your script is better than magic members? Do you have comparative chart?

5. Are custom fields stored on same table as WP user?

6. According to your FAQ I may need some assistance on making the site SSL, how much level of knowledge do I require to be able to make my site SSL support. Is there a step by step instruction to do it?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday May 21st, 2012 at 11:27 pm #14134
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hello,

Please see my replies below:

1. Can you please elaborate on “How can I allow Free Registration?” FAQ. I can’t understand it fully. I am planning to use S2 to manage/control users access but I do not need members to pay (not yet). I need at least 4 user type who can register for free but should have different access.

The following video explains how you can have multiple registration with free levels: Video » s2Member (Free Registration On Multiple Levels?)

2. How do you prevent sharing of username/passwords? Is it from a cookie on users machine or from a database flag? How long do you usually keep the session alive when user is not making any activity (browsing). Our site will contain mainly of video files. Hence, most user can stay on the site idle but they are not actually idle because they are watching videos. Can your system prevents user from idling while watching so that the session won’t expire and no other user can use the username/password?

s2Member uses IP Access Restrictions to limit username/password sharing. After you install the free version of the plugin, please see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Unique IP Access Restrictions for more information.

Session expiry is based on the WordPress Login Expiration, which I believe is 48 hours by default. You can change this, however, by following these instructions.

3. How extensive is your custom profile fields support? Does it support conditional fields based on previous fields. IE, in city, does the option changes based on country selected? Can I create custom fields that will be required during registrations?

We do not yet support conditional fields, however you can create custom fields that will be required during registration.

4. In what aspects your script is better than magic members? Do you have comparative chart?

We do not have a comparative chart, however you may be interested in these words from the lead developer. Also, s2Member has a very powerful free version of the plugin and all the source code (for both the free version and the paid version) are not encrypted — they are available for you to modify if needed.

5. Are custom fields stored on same table as WP user?

Currently, Custom Field data is stored in a serialized array in the wp_usermeta table, under the meta_key wp_s2member_custom_fields. However, in the next major release of s2Member, we wil be changing this so that custom field data is stored in its own table.

6. According to your FAQ I may need some assistance on making the site SSL, how much level of knowledge do I require to be able to make my site SSL support. Is there a step by step instruction to do it?

Setting up SSL on your site is specific to your server and your hosting environment. We recommend contacting your web host for assistance installing SSL Certificates. Once you have SSL running on your site, s2Member is designed to automatically work with it.

Posted: Tuesday May 22nd, 2012 at 7:44 pm #14203

Thanks for your answer.

Are you guys planning to implement other option to prevent username sharing? IP address is not applicable here because ISP changes our IP unpredictably.

Also, we need something that will not allow second user to login while the user is already logged in but should allow that user to log in anywhere(any IP) as long as there is no existing session active for that user.

We are planning to use this in a live event. So regardless of wherever the user is or even if he wants someone else to use his username is fine with us as long as only one browser is logged in at anytime.

We don’t care who uses it as long as it is use by a single person at any given time.

Is this something you might implement in the near future?

Thanks

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  little antz.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  little antz.
Posted: Wednesday May 23rd, 2012 at 12:08 am #14261
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hello,

We currently use the WordPress authentication system, so your best bet will be to search for plugins that modify the WordPress authentication system to work in a way that suits you. However, those plugins may or may not work with s2Member — you’ll have to experiment.

To the best of my knowledge, the feature you described is not currently in development, however it may be something we consider in the future.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.