latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

File streaming/downloading issue

Home Forums Community Forum File streaming/downloading issue

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 5th, 2013 at 12:30 pm #49241

We just read Raam’s article in the knowledge base about resolving downloading issues. We’re not coding people, so this article is very advanced, but to the best of our ability we’ve checked our HTAccess file and it looks similar (the difference being there is a whole lot more verbage at the [E=s2member_file_download…. point than what’s shown in Raam’s article. The problem we are having is specific to a few devices. The majority of members can visit our site, log in, play back or download media files without any trouble. However, a few devices cannot. The odd thing is some of the other folks with similar devices can. So, for example, one gal with an iPod has no trouble; where as another can not download or stream.

We’re not sure if the difference is a device setting’s issue, a browser issue, an HTACCESS issue, using the wrong player issue, or how to resolve it. We are fairly sure it is not user error, as some of the folks having the problem can stream/download audio files without problems on a computer, but not on their mobile or tablet–it seems to just hang up on them without producing any error message(s). Can I privately send the HTACCESS file to you to look over and see if the problem is in the code difference(s) between what is one the website article http://www.s2member.com/kb/resolving-problems-with-file-downloads/ and what’s in our installation folders? It occurs to me that the differences might simply be due to updates. I don’t know enough about coding to feel comfortable replacing the HTACCESS file(s) without knowing if they are up to date, etc.

Also, what audio play(ers) work best with S2Member? We’d be willing to switch if another player would meet all of our member’s needs. I couldn’t find a specific recommendation, just a lot of chat about how to troubleshoot different players not working well with S2.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday May 6th, 2013 at 10:49 pm #49327
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

Also, what audio play(ers) work best with S2Member? We’d be willing to switch if another player would meet all of our member’s needs. I couldn’t find a specific recommendation, just a lot of chat about how to troubleshoot different players not working well with S2.

s2Member works best with JW Player, which you can information on here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› JW Player® & RTMP Protocol Examples

That being said with downloads of files, s2Member shouldn’t need a player. It sounds to me like (since these are mobile devices) that they don’t Adobe Flash Player and that’s causing a problem. I don’t know that for sure, but the best thing to do for now is to give Users an option for a direct download link. That should work no matter what, as s2Member follows the guidelines for this and if the device supports downloads it should work just fine.

Posted: Wednesday May 8th, 2013 at 5:10 pm #49509

Yes, for the vast majority of the people, the method of clicking on the download link works for them. However, there are a very few people who can’t get anything to happen after clicking on a link which is download protected by S2Member (pro). The first person uses an iPad. When she clicks on the download link nothing happens. She doesn’t receive any error messages, or a pop up box asking her if she wants to save the file or where, or the S2 message about this is download x of y, and her download doesn’t start on its own. So effectively it looks like nothing is happening. She thought to wait a while and see if that helped. It did not. Others with iPads aren’t reporting this issue. Likewise, a few people with Androids and Widows 8 cell phones cannot access the downloads. Does this sound like something which could be fixed by the “Gzip compression” discussed in http://www.s2member.com/kb/resolving-problems-with-file-downloads? What else can we try to help the few people who can’t access downloads?

Posted: Thursday May 9th, 2013 at 7:07 pm #49632
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Does this sound like something which could be fixed by the “Gzip compression” discussed in http://www.s2member.com/kb/resolving-problems-with-file-downloads? What else can we try to help the few people who can’t access downloads?

No I don’t think GZip compression is going to help here. I’d say the issue probably has to do with these device’s supported file formats. I’d recommend having these Users try a different phone browser if possible. Otherwise I do not believe it will be possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.