latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Give S2 Member Level 1 Role Ability To Post

Home Forums Community Forum Give S2 Member Level 1 Role Ability To Post

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jul 8th, 2012 at 11:55 pm #18641
VegasKev
Username: vegaskev

I need to give a Member Level 1 Role the capability to publish posts. How would I do that? Thanks in advance.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jul 9th, 2012 at 5:52 am #18659

Hi Kevin.

You can use the User Role Editor. Once activated, go to your users list and when hovering the user’s name, you’ll see a link named “Capabilities”. Click it and you’ll be taken to an editor to enable the WP capability for that particular user instead of the role. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Tuesday Jul 10th, 2012 at 11:09 am #18811
VegasKev

Thank you for your help. I just tried that after reading your response. I added it and gave the S2Member Level 1 role the ‘publish posts’ capability and they still aren’t selectable in the “author” section of the post editor. Is there something I’m forgetting? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 10th, 2012 at 5:25 pm #18836

I don’t know what capability is required to show up in that dropdown menu. Here’s the codex page for roles/capabilities: http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Posted: Thursday Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:34 pm #19053
VegasKev

Thank you Cristian. For some reason, even with publish_posts capability activated for S2Member Level 1 users, they are still unavailable as a selection in the author section of a wp-post. Any other thoughts?

Posted: Friday Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:28 am #19148

I’m not familiar with the WP capabilities. :/

I’d ask in the WP forums what capability is needed or what you need to do for the user to be listed as an author.

Posted: Friday Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:56 am #19153

I just noticed that there’s a WP role named “Author”. I’d make a note of the capabilities it has and then add them to the s2Member Level role you’re trying to have publish posts.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:45 pm #19184
VegasKev

I thought of that, the problem is that some of those capabilities include giving them the ability to edit other people’s posts, which I cannot allow. However, I’ve already added the ‘publish_posts’ capability and it is not working. I currently use that same capability with a similar gravity forms installation that does not have S2Member and it works fine, so I’m stumped.

Maybe it would be important to mention that I am using gravity forms to generate the posts.

Here is what happens, in case this helps:

1. User logs into site
  2. User goes to a front-end page with a front-end form built using Gravity Forms
  3. User completes the form
  4. Post is then added to “pending review” posts with the member listed as the Author
  5. When I click on “quick edit” and change it from “pending review” to “published”, the author is changed from the Author to admin – THIS IS WHERE THE REAL PROBLEM IS – Furthermore, if I actually click on the post from the “pending review” list to access the post editor and change it from “pending review” to “published”, the same problem occurrs

I hope this better explains where the hangup is. I am currently using gravity forms for a similar purpose but without S2Member installed and everything is functioning correctly, so I’m trying to figure out what I can modify between the two plugins to achieve the desired affect. Hopefully you can help me.

Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 5:53 am #19224

I don’t really know what is causing your problem… In the other installation without s2Member, you’re obviously using other roles than s2Member’s because you don’t have it installed, and I don’t know what capabilities the other roles have or not, compared to the s2Member role.

s2Member doesn’t have to do with role editing, I suggested that solution to achieve what you wanted, but it’s not something the plugin supports yet. So you need to test this to find what works, I don’t have experience with it to give more specific advice. :/

Posted: Monday Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:57 pm #19376
VegasKev

Fair enough. If I figure out the root and solution to the problems I will repost to help any others that may run into this issue. Thanks for trying Cristian, I appreciate it.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:50 am #19481

Cool. I hope it doesn’t give you much trouble. Sorry I couldn’t help more with that one.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.