latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Giving my level 1 customers a 12-hour link

Home Forums Community Forum Giving my level 1 customers a 12-hour link

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:36 am #41394

It’s great having a customer forum but when you search for an answer and get 2100 post hits, it’s too painful to go down that route.

If someone could please help out with this, it would be much appreciated….

When my customers have purchased my product and logged into the member area, I would like to give them an option of downloading another product, but:

1) they have to click on the link to request the product
2) the link must be set to expire (6 hours, 12-hours, or whatever).

I think I’ve been at the pc too long today, because when I write it like this, it seems real easy; yet, my brain doesn’t seem to want to function to be able to do it.

I’ve been trying to do this via the ‘Paypal Button Code Generator For Specific Post/Page Buttons’ and I can set the time limit. but the page I [think I] have set up to use, doesn’t appear in the ‘select a leading post/page that you’ve protected’ drop-down list – so I’m getting nowhere with it.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:31 pm #41508
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry. ~ We appreciate your patience :-)

I’m reviewing this thread now.

Posted: Monday Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:47 pm #41513
Staff Member

I’ve been trying to do this via the ‘Paypal Button Code Generator For Specific Post/Page Buttons’ and I can set the time limit. but the page I [think I] have set up to use, doesn’t appear in the ‘select a leading post/page that you’ve protected’ drop-down list – so I’m getting nowhere with it.

If the Post or Page is not appearing in this list, it is probably because the Post or Page that you’re trying to sell also requires Membership Level Access. These two functionalities can be mixed together, but the content that you’re selling cannot be. In other words, you can’t sell Specific Post/Page Access, to a Post or Page that already requires a Membership.

Please create a new Post or Page in WordPress® (do NOT protect it from Members).
Instead, protect it with s2Member’s Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions.
Now the Post or Page will appear in the list when you generate a Payment Button.

See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions
See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Specific Post/Page (Buy Now) Forms

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:17 am #41529

Thanks Jason,

I don’t have time to investigate this today; but I will tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks,

Russ

Posted: Tuesday Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:50 am #41534

I tell a lie, I did have time, and it’s worked a treat – thanks Jason.

The options won’t let me input $0.00, Is there anyway I can give them this access for free?

Posted: Thursday Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:08 am #41664

Hi,

Apologies for the lack of description and clarity in the previous post…let me explain what I am trying to achieve.

When users buy my product, they become the standard level1 users. I would also like to give them the option of accessing another post which has an additional download link in it. This additional access is free, but it must be requested by a logged-in user, and the link must have a time limit-expiry link, such as 12, 24 or 48 hours.

I know it sounds familiar, but I’ve watched the ccap videos, I’ve tried copying and pasting the php ‘..can access(xyz)’ into my function.php file, and I’m still not getting it.

I can create a level2 form which allows them access to this page; but, 1) I don’t want to do this as after watching the videos, I realise there’s no need – there has to be an easier way; 2) I kept getting the ’email in use’ message.

After about half-an-hour of searching, I then found from the help on this site that I can create a modification billing page; I did this, but it won’t allow me to do it for free – I don’t want to charge customers for this access, I merely want them to be able to request the page access, get it and the [time sensitive] link.

This way, I can see if users are requesting access to the same download page multiple times (there shouldn’t be a requirement for them to do this unless they get repeated crashes and haven’t backed their device up – I can only imagine it means giving their login details away: which is what I want to avoid.

Also, I want the users to use the same login information they registered with: same username, password, email, etc. I [think I] know you can do this [on the billing page], but I don’t know how to get it to do what I would like it to do. Of course, there may be an even easier or better way to do this, I know not; however, you may know.

Anything I do with php has to be done cautiously and with fingers-crossed. For example, after editing the functions.php file, straightaway all my pages were blank!! The only way I could get to the php file was through ftp and removing the offending link that way: after which, my pages magically reappeared.

This is the last piece in my jigsaw before I go live with my site, so I’m keen to get it right.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Russ

Posted: Friday Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:04 am #41816
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Well, you could always generate Specific Post/Page Access Links from the Dashboard and give them away for free. See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Specific Post/Page Access Links

It is also possible to generate Specific Post/Page Access links dynamically. Install the ezPHP plugin and then you pop this into a Post or Page to generate a Specific Post/Page Access Link.

<?php
 $access_to_post_or_page_ids = '123,456';
 // Comma-delimited list of Post or Page IDs, or just one is fine also.

$link = c_ws_plugin__s2member_sp_access::sp_access_link_gen
 	(
 		 $access_to_post_or_page_ids,
 		 12 // Number of hours this link is good for.
 	);
 echo '<a href="'.esc_attr($link).'">click here</a>';
 ?>
Posted: Friday Feb 15th, 2013 at 5:44 am #41818

Thanks Jason, but unless I’m missing something, using generate Specific Post/Page Access Links requires a whole new registration with a unique email address, and the php code you gave creates a link which is freely available and is not requested by the user.

To reiterate, I’m after something which:
1. Must be requested by an existing customer
2. Is free (doesn’t cost them anything extra)
3. Allows the user to use the same login details as they first registered with, i.e. same username and same email address.

It seems to be a combination of the free Specific Post/Page Access Links,and the billing modification; or, a FREE option on the Pro Form Generator For Specific Post/Page Forms – that kind of thing.

I do realise this might not be possible at this stage, but thanks for your time and your assistance.

Regards,

Russ

Posted: Friday Feb 15th, 2013 at 6:05 am #41824
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Thanks Jason, but unless I’m missing something, using generate Specific Post/Page Access Links requires a whole new registration with a unique email address,

Specific Post/Page Access does not require registration at all. If they are already a User/Member, that’s fine. But they don’t need to be. See: Video » s2Member (Specific Posts/Pages)

and the php code you gave creates a link which is freely available and is not requested by the user.

Right. The idea is that you would integrate your ability to generate Specific Post/Page Access Links, together with Conditionals that might require certain things of existing Users/Members before you actually generate the Links. Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals

I do realise this might not be possible at this stage, but thanks for your time and your assistance.

You’re very welcome. No, not possible yet. However, you could certainly pull it off using the technique I described above. It will take some work though. We’re working to improve things, so hopefully this will be easier soon. Thanks!

Posted: Saturday Feb 16th, 2013 at 9:42 pm #42012

Hi Jason, I just thought I’d follow up on here with this.

I set aside today to sort my mess out, poured over the videos (on here, again) and thought about what I was doing, what I was offering my customers, and the way that I was doing it; this time, it all ‘clicked into place’.

All told it took me an hour to do (including testing) and now I have a simple, easily navigable, customisable, and supportable site! Far easier, and better than the previous one.

Thanks again for your help.
Russ

Posted: Monday Feb 18th, 2013 at 6:27 pm #42354
Staff Member
Awesome! Thanks for reporting back on this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions/concerns :-)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.