latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Have existing member trigger "add member"

Home Forums Community Forum Have existing member trigger "add member"

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Sep 22nd, 2012 at 1:34 pm #26126

Hi there,

I’m looking to create functionality whereby an existing member (level 2 or 3) can send an invite to a someone to become a new member (level 1, free).

Requirements:
-When existing member creates an invite; first name, last name and email is captured and an invite with a access link is emailed to the invitee.
-When the invitee completes the registration process by clicking the access link and completing the registration form, they are linked by an id field to the user that invited them.

I don’t mind using custom coding to do this, just need to know what I need to trigger to send the invite email (obviously without the dashboard option being available).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Sep 23rd, 2012 at 7:15 am #26173

Hi Scott.

Well, you can use the free registration pro-form so the user registers his friends for them. That pro-form allows to create free accounts at any level you set it to, not just Level 0, as well as other things you can adjust with the shortcode attributes. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms[/hilite]

Maybe something like that will help you with the customization?

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:17 pm #26713

Hi Cristian,

Thank you for your suggestion! I haven’t had an opportunity to attempt to implement it yet, but will let you know how it goes!

Scott

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:02 pm #26788

Great. I’ll be looking forward to your update. I hope that’s enough for what you want to do. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 3rd, 2012 at 10:29 am #27338

Hi Cristian,

I finally got around to trying out your suggestion and have run across the following conflict with my requirements:

Using the Pro-Form requires that when the current member “invites” a new member to join, that they fill in the registration form including password. What I’m looking to accomplish is that the current member fills in the first name, last name and & email, and from that an email is sent to the invitee with a activation token allowing them to register and create password, etc.

Looking at it from another angle, it is somewhat similar to how a affiliate would work? The current member provides the link to someone looking to join, and through this the new member is linked to the current member.

Any thoughts? As I mentioned, I don’t mind coding parts of this, my key requirement is the creation of a new member which is linked to the current member. (I.e. I will have a page where the current member will be able to see a list of their new member additions).

Thanks!

Posted: Thursday Oct 4th, 2012 at 7:36 am #27417

What I’m looking to accomplish is that the current member fills in the first name, last name and & email, and from that an email is sent to the invitee with a activation token allowing them to register and create password, etc.

Well, if you disable custom passwords on registration, then one would be generated for the user and emailed to him in the New User email.
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields -> Allow Custom Passwords during Registration[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Email Configuration -> New USer[/hilite]

That way, the registration form would just ask for the name and email address, the password would be sent to the person your user added.

Another option would be to have a contact form that lets your user enter the name and email address, and the email be sent to that person with a link to the registration pro-form.

Any thoughts? As I mentioned, I don’t mind coding parts of this, my key requirement is the creation of a new member which is linked to the current member. (I.e. I will have a page where the current member will be able to see a list of their new member additions).

You will need some kind of tracking, yeah. Not sure if an affiliate solution, or maybe a customization using the s2Member custom profile fields to store the parent user. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields[/hilite]

Posted: Saturday Oct 6th, 2012 at 6:32 pm #27679

Great, thanks for your suggestions! I will continue to play and see what I can do!

Posted: Sunday Oct 7th, 2012 at 7:47 am #27699

Cool. :)

Posted: Sunday Oct 14th, 2012 at 8:32 pm #28394

I’m still working on this solution. I think the previous suggestion of using a custom form to send an email to the invited member with an url directed to the registration form is the best solution.

Now, the missing piece of the puzzle. Is there any way I can integrate a $_GET variable (in this case, the inviting member ID) from the url and have it added to the WP_USER table in a new column I’ve created when the registration form is submitted?

I’ve been looking at a custom pro form template, however I’m not sure how the post process works to be able to include it in the SQL Update query that must be happening somewhere downstream when the registration form is submitted.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Scott Sancton.
Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 7:29 am #28505

Hmm… well, you could add that var from the [hilite mono]GET[/hilite] array as a hidden input field of the registration form. Then, on the server side, when the form is submitted, you’d need to store it in the database. Rather than the [hilite mono]user[/hilite] table, it may be easier to use the [hilite mono]usermeta[/hilite] one.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:49 pm #28603

Hi Cristian,

I’m trying to determine where the code lives, or where I can hook into so that I can ensure the new field is included in the mysql_query(INSERT) statement.

Looking at the paypal-registration-form.php, the form action is referenced as %%action%%. I’m not sure what that references and haven’t had any luck finding it in documentation.

Alternatively, I could use a custom form to do this, but I would want to ensure I was creating the new member within S2Member as level 0.

Thanks,
Scott

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:52 am #28677

Alternatively, I could use a custom form to do this, but I would want to ensure I was creating the new member within S2Member as level 0.

s2Member Level 0 is the same as the default WP Subscriber role. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:08 am #29521

Thanks Cristian!

That bit of information was definitely the missing link in my head. With the help of a “invite friends” plugin and some customization therein, I’ve been able to accomplish what I required.

Thanks again for your help!

P.S. Out of curiosity, reading through the forums I’ve noticed reference to a few features being on the road map for the next release (e.g. gift certificates). Is there any timeframe for when that release will be?

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 3:08 pm #29568
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Scott,

We haven’t set a release date and I don’t have any information on an estimation, but we are most definitely still working hard on getting the next major release out as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.