latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Help! Error 500 After Upgrade

Home Forums Community Forum Help! Error 500 After Upgrade

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 17th, 2012 at 9:04 pm #5546
Angela Zou
Username: angelaz

Hi, I’m getting a site wide Error 500 right after I upgrade S2member to its latest version (120203, I think). I tried increasing the PHP memory limit (even to 256M), and I’ve also re-uploaded the older version that I’ve downloaded (111226 or something). But still it’s giving me the error. What can I do?

Angela

Edit: I think the site is coming up now. But it’s giving me these messages:
Notice: Undefined variable: cache_needs_updating in /example.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/classes/cache.inc.php on line 97

In addition, the hosting company verified that it’s caused by the S2member gjavascript section in the .htaccess. I’m currently have it commented out, but not sure how that’s gonna help.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Angela Zou.
  • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Angela Zou.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 17th, 2012 at 9:19 pm #5554
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Angela,

The latest version of s2Member is v120213.

Are you running Apache 1.3 on your server? If so, you’ll need to comment out the lines that s2Member added to the .htaccess file in the /wordpress/ directory like follows:

# BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions
#<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
#	RewriteEngine On
#	RewriteBase /
#	RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (?:^|?|&)s2member_file_download=.+
#	RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]
#</IfModule>
# END s2Member GZIP exclusions

Does that fix the problem?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Raam Dev.
Posted: Friday Feb 17th, 2012 at 9:40 pm #5557
Angela Zou

Raam, even after commenting them, I still see 4 PHP notices (including the S2member I mentioned above), and it also broke 2 other plugins I’m using.

My site is broken, nothing is working, despite I can see it.

Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 12:37 am #5568
Angela Zou

Anyone? I really need some help here. I fixed one of the plugins, hopefully the author of the other plugin will get back to me on how to fix that. The login widget is replaced with this line “Notice: Undefined variable: cache_needs_updating in /example.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/classes/cache.inc.php on line 97”

And finally:
Please add a section in the changelog to list out the compatibility issues with each version of S2member!!

I’m also getting this message in the back end, don’t know whether it’s related or not (it’s a rough translation):
Notice: Since version 2.0, you should not pass a parameter to has_cap!User levels have been deprecated, please use user roles and capabilities instead in /example.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3551

Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 1:19 am #5569
Angela Zou

This is totally not cool, I found another PHP Notice message:
Notice: Undefined variable: req in /example.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member-pro/includes/classes/lock-icons-in.inc.php on line 155 —

when I’m trying to view my categories and the posts! Almost everything on my site is broken: WP UI, Formidable, my theme and now the Category listing!

A few posts and comments are also missing (although I think I’ll find them in the database). I don’t think S2member overwrote any of the files (but is this the legendary buffer overflow when I don’t have enough memory), but something is definitely messed up here. I really need some help to clean them up!

Angela

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Angela Zou.
Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 5:03 am #5573
Angela Zou

Anyone can explain why my custom functions file are partially GONE? I know I’m the one to blame to not make backup, but just as I’m patching up the things that S2member broke, it breaks/steals/deletes the code again? You gotta me kidding me. What is going on here?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Angela Zou.
Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 12:14 pm #5585
Staff Member

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention.

s2Member is not compatible with Apache v1.x.
You will need to upgrade to Apache v2.0+ please.

Regarding the “Notice: Undefined variable” errors that you’re receiving.
Getting those types of errors would indicate to me that your installation of PHP and/or WordPress is running in full DEBUG mode.

See: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2692
These types of “Notices” are to be expected in full DEBUG mode. You can learn more about this here. I would suggest that you contact your hosting company and ask them two things.

1. Please upgrade me to Apache v2.0+.
(Apache v2.0 has been available since 2004)

2. Please put by WordPress installation into production mode, and disable DEBUG mode.

Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 12:23 pm #5586
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Angela, thanks for the follow-up.

All these errors indicate 1 of 2 things (or both).

1. Your installation of s2Member Pro is corrupt, meaning that by some reason it was installed incorrectly. Please follow these instructions to re-install correctly. Please also re-install the s2Member framework (free version), because apparently there are some corrupt files there.
  2. The other thing that it could indicate, is some plugin/theme incompatibility, meaning another plugin/theme is not allowing s2Member to load it’s files correctly. Could you please deactivate every plugin besides s2Member, and go back to the default WordPress theme (TwentyEleven) and see if these errors are there.

After you’ve tried these couple of things please tell us how it goes.

I hope this helps. :)

Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 10:18 pm #5628
Angela Zou

Jason, You said S2member is not compatible with Apache 1.x, but I didn’t have any trouble running it on version 111223 or below (except that email issue). I can definitely turn off debug mode, but the plugins are still broken and nothing can be fixed by turning off the debug mode.

Eduan, I will definitely try the suggestions you have offered, but I’m not sure this will resolve the problems.

Posted: Sunday Feb 19th, 2012 at 3:16 pm #5654
Eduan
Username: Eduan

s2Member is not compatible with Apache 1.x, as of s2Member version 120213. The newest version (version 120219) is now compatible with Apache 1.x, but it is still recommended to use Apache 2.x.

Posted: Sunday Feb 19th, 2012 at 11:31 pm #5672
Angela Zou

Thanks for the update, I thought I might never to be able to update to new version of S2member. I moved my site to a new server with Apache 2.2 (although there is still one site on Apache 1.x), and there are still a little problems here and there. At least I made a backup.

Please let me know when support for Apache 1.x will be removed, so I can prep the migration.

Posted: Monday Feb 20th, 2012 at 9:08 pm #5771
Staff Member
This issue with Apache v1.x was addressed in the release of s2Member v120219.
Just referencing this post here for the benefit of other readers.
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/moving-site-to-apache-2-server/#post-5757
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.