latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

HELP! Need to Protect a BBPress Forum asap.

Home Forums Community Forum HELP! Need to Protect a BBPress Forum asap.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 11:15 pm #35117

I have just created a Private forum on my live membership site.

I have a Open Registration (level 0) for all members using the forum (BBPress).

But I wanted to add a private forum only for Premium members (level 1).

I looked under Other Integrations and it told me to use s2Member -> Restriction Options -> URI Access Restrictions.

But I have no idea what URI to use so I can exclude that private forum and all it’s topics.

I have gone to the Private forum in my wordpress admin and set it to “level 1” but that only excludes access when they directly try and access the private forum. They can still see topics in the “Recent Topics” section on the home page and access the private forum from there.

I think URI Restrictions might help, but I don’t know what URI to use so I can exclude only one specific forum.

Please help.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Dec 20th, 2012 at 8:41 pm #35197

Anyone?

Posted: Friday Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:15 am #35219

Hi Benjamin.

You’d need something in common between the URLs of all the topics of that forum, that’d let you add them to the URI restriction. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Other Integrations -› bbPress®[/hilite]

Could you post here the URLs of some threads from that forum?

It is currently NOT possible to protect a Forum, and have all Topics inside that Forum protected automatically. In order to accomplish that, you’ll need to use s2Member’s URI Access Restrictions.

Posted: Friday Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:55 pm #35294

Thanks for the help.

I have decided to make the entire forum section for private members only since I think the setup of individutal forums would be too hard.

But thanks anyway!

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:10 am #35315

Cool. :)

Posted: Friday Jan 4th, 2013 at 8:01 pm #36196

Hey,

I’ve actaully done a backflip on this one.

I really do need a private forum. Its one of the reasons I bought s2member (integration with buddypress and bbpress) but I didn’t realize it would be an all or nothing deal.

The problem with protecting just one part is that all of the forums share the same URL slug (or URI fragment). So protecting one of them protects them all.

I know that you can protect all posts under a certain category, even if the category is not displayed in the URL. So can’t I apply something similar to bbPress, where it protects all topics and replies under a certain forum?

Here are some URLs of threads in my forum as requested (one thread from each of the 3 forums):
forum 1: http://thecashlab.com/discussion/topic/what-to-expect-from-solicitation-with-cpa/
forum 2: http://thecashlab.com/discussion/topic/new-course-sales-copy-that-sells/
forum 3: http://thecashlab.com/discussion/topic/question-on-listjacking/

As you can see, they all share the same URL slugs even though the topics are in different forums.

Thanks,
Ben

Posted: Friday Jan 4th, 2013 at 8:51 pm #36201

I’m very curious about exactly the same thing. There seems to be no way to select all the posts in a specific forum. I’m keen to hear what advice is offered.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 3:53 pm #36319
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

There are ways to change the permalink structure for bbPress, but they’re fairly hack-ish and are usually not recommended. There’s a good discussion here on the bbPress forums on this: http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/hack-to-remove-forumsforum/#post-14258

You will either need to do something like that, or you could edit your theme’s template to restrict the posts based on forums with the bbPress API, which will require quite a bit of code outside of s2Member.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:00 pm #36322

Ah gutted. I thought that would be the reply.

So why is it that s2member restrict posts based on category, even though the category is not in the URL, but it cant do the same for a forum?

By my understanding bbPress forums are just custom post types, with a forum hierarchy taxonomy (similar to a category hierarchical taxonomy for regular posts). So it should be possible.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:05 pm #36324
Bruce
Staff Member

So why is it that s2member restrict posts based on category, even though the category is not in the URL, but it cant do the same for a forum?

I’m fairly certain this is because of the way that the BuddyPress permalink structure handles this, and the idea that every topic has multiple posts within it. I suppose it could be possible, but I have not seen anyone able to do this as of yet. You could try installing WP Show IDs, and getting the ID of the topic you’d like to restrict and put this into the category restrictions under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Category Access Restrictions. I’m unsure if this will work correctly, though.

Let us know if that works.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:53 pm #36332

Its not very economical to restrict everything on a topic by topic basis as they get created, that’s why I was looking for an option that would lock-down everything within an entire forum automatically as the topics get created by users.

I have previously tried what you suggested about using the forum post ID and putting that into the category restriction area, but unfortunately that does not work.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:58 pm #36333
Bruce
Staff Member

I have previously tried what you suggested about using the forum post ID and putting that into the category restriction area, but unfortunately that does not work.

Yes I thought this might be the case.

Its not very economical to restrict everything on a topic by topic basis as they get created, that’s why I was looking for an option that would lock-down everything within an entire forum automatically as the topics get created by users.

I’m going to ask the lead developer if he has any insight into this. Perhaps there is a way we haven’t seen yet.

Posted: Sunday Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:44 pm #36391

Sorry to butt in chaps!

Its annoying how bbpress puts all the posts from all forums in the same directory. Not being able to use a URI to filter out the threads is very frustrating. I’m tempted to install another plugin alongside s2member to tackle the problem, but I really dont like the idea of having two membership plugins installed at the same time. That’s just asking for trouble.

If s2member can figure a way to protect all threads inside a restricted bbpress forum, that would be just fabulous. :)

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:39 pm #36539

Ben, s2Member’s integration with bbPress doesn’t yet protect all topics in a forum, as explained in the documentation. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Other Integrations -› bbPress®[/hilite]

If you manage to have the forum’s name in the topic permalink, then you could use that in s2Member’s URI restriction, though. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions[/hilite]

This plugin may allow to edit the permalink that way. http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/nicer-slug-url-rewrite-plugin-done/

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.