latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Help with Protecting Non-WordPress Content

Home Forums Community Forum Help with Protecting Non-WordPress Content

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Janet Walker 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Mar 16th, 2012 at 10:31 pm #8439

Hello all,

I hope someone can help.

I want to get mybb (bulletin board) linked to my wordpress. I have read the information below on how i should go about it, but i do not get it.

my wordpress is on my root – and mybb is in a file called ‘community’.

I would like those that are on levels 0 and 1 to be able to view my board.

Also is there a way that s2member would override the registering of the board. It does for the mingle forum plugin in. I would like my member to only have to log in once. Once in they can access mybb.
————————————————————
If you want to use s2Member to protect content that is being loaded outside of WordPress, you can do so by including wp-load.php from the WordPress core files:

————————————————————–

I have asked for the registering once via another post, so sorry for the double asking. However i would really like to know how to implement the wp-load.php. Please could you explain in very simple terms.

Thank you in advance

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:26 pm #8456

Yes, this is possible.

You need to read up on the S2Member>Download Options>Basic Download restrictions. It show you how to set downloads for each level of membership, including specific number of downloads available to each member.

Your mybb needs to be in a folder S2Member can protect. So, put your files in this folder in your install:

/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files

You can protect your files using this format as a link in a post:

http://www.yoursite.com/?s2member_file_download=example-file.zip

Click a thumb if this helped!

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:55 pm #8457

Thanks for your help.

I think I may not have been clear, for you are talking about downloading files. Which was something i was looking to do later on so thanks for that.

However right now what i would like is this: My mybb opens like this http://www.mysite.com/community/index.php (the community/index.php being the mybb). Because it opens outside wordpress it is not controlled my s2member plugin.

What i would like is that my members can log into my site and beable to view the mybb by clicking a link. However if a non member comes to my site and clicks on the same link they would be taken to the membership sign up page.

I have read that to protect non-wordpress file i need to do something with the wp-load.php file and some code but that information has gone way over my head.

Now after that has be implemented i would like my members to be able to login to my site and be automatically logged into mybb. Can s2member override mybb registration process.

I hope you can help with the above and thanks again for sharing how to use the download section.

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 2:19 pm #8458

I’m just another S2M user who knows what it feels like to be helpless on a Saturday morning with an issue… but since I’m not a real S2M pro, take my advice with a grain of sugar. I want to be able to help the community if I can, but the real guys may have better answers.

Ok, so probably the best way to do this is to hide your mybb login by protecting it with S2M. S2Member will NOT override the login settings of another plugin, without some special scripting.

SO…. put the access point to mybb on a new page, and level protect it by choosing the member level on the right of the post interface. It says S2Member “Post Level Restriction”. Pick a level, and then users won’t be able to access that page unless they are logged in, or paid.

With the exception of overriding the login, this will achieve what you’re looking to do.

Jordan
Thumbs if it helps!

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:06 pm #8460

Hi

Thanks for that, it sounds like it would work. Sorry i thought you were the a s2m pro but you have helped me very well. You know alot more than me which is always better :)

The bit you say about put the access point to mybb on a new page:
How do i do this, do you mean create a page and name it something and then put the myybb link in that page and then protect that page. So members will have to click 2 links to open the mybb – is this what you are saying. If so is there a way of clicking the new page that it will read the link on the page ie the mybb and go directly there.

I know i am testing you for information, sorry.

So what do you think?

Thanks for helping me out on Saturday evening.

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:22 pm #8461

Yes, that’s it. Without a special code to override mybb, this is a way it could work. Granted, it’s not the best, but should work until the pros can chime in on this conversation.

A user would click the link to go to your page that has the mybb login information or forms. If they click and are not signed into S2M, they won’t be granted access. But if they do, they’ll be able to log into mybb, because S2M has granted them permission.

I hope this helps a little. I’m not sure when the pros jump on these forums… weekdays I suppose. Until then, this workflow should get you by!

Jordan
Thumbs if it helps!

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:30 pm #8464

Thanks for clarifying, i will be using that step.

Have a great evening

Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:37 pm #8466

You’re welcome!

I hope it works for you.

Posted: Sunday Apr 8th, 2012 at 6:51 pm #10336

Hi all,

Thanks to Jordan I have a temporary solution, however I do need to implement the Protecting Non-WordPress Content wp-load.php code.

The temporary solution still allows members to view the url of the mybb message board. After they vist it once they can access it simple by copying a pasting the url in the browser and this works for non members also. SO i need to protect the whole mybb message board within the member plugin.

Thank you in adavnce

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.