latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

How to Hide Member Pages in Site Map & Menu

Home Forums Community Forum How to Hide Member Pages in Site Map & Menu

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  AnotherOpus 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:15 pm #8653

I have the free version of S2 Member.

S2 Member protected pages should not appear in the site map or the menu.

You can make any page private in WP, and with the ElegantThemes.com theme I use I can hide any page from the site nav.

But if I do either of these things then the pages are not available to all users (registered or not).

And I’ve looked at the WP Dashboard > Appearance > Menu section and I can choose one menu, add custom links, put checks in check boxes for pages that exist, select categories, and choose Add to Menu for each of these. Nice–so I can add items I already have on my menu to my menu.

Does anybody know how to hide S2 member protected pages? Keep them off the nav, and out of the site map, so the complete site hierarchy isn’t visible to the sweaty masses?

I’ve searched and found numerous places here where people talk about coding, conditionals and changing various PHP elements. I’ve read a few items about the restricted pages, alternative view protection and even some handy snippets of [s2 IF code] that can be put into the html view on posts and pages.

It seems there would be a built-in, ready to use, standard feature, on/off switch in S2 Member: Hide/show protected pages in site menu. And a second handy switch that would do the same thing in the site map.

And it would be nice if I didn’t need to install some other “hide pages” plug-in as one post suggested.

WP is a user friendly, super CMS–I just wish so many things didn’t require getting my fingernails dirty in hand coded work-arounds that will break when the next version of WP or a plugin comes out.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Mar 25th, 2012 at 5:38 pm #9065
Mark Davies
Username: mark696

Hi Christopher,

There is a plugin that you will find in WordPress written by Simon Wheatley that has always served me well and that is called Exclude pages from navigation, (just type in “Exclude pages” into the search box on the “Install plugins” page in your admin panel, it should be top of the list).

The plugin – xml sitemap generator for WordPress 3.2.6 (Google xml sitemap generator) has an option field where you can input comma delimited url’s that you do not wish to include in your sitemap.

I hope this helps you.

Mark.

Posted: Wednesday Mar 28th, 2012 at 5:36 am #9336

Thank you Mark!

I’ve installed the Exclude Pages plugin.

I’ll play with it now. I want to learn how to exclude pages from the menu (and site map) for non-registered visitors.

But I want registered members to see these excluded pages in the menu (and site map) when they login and use the site.

• I see there is a box on each page editing screen which mentions: “This page can still appear in explicitly created pages. WordPress provides a simple function for you to maintain your site menus. If you create a menu which includes this page, the checkbox above will not have any effect on the visibility of that menu item.” So I think I’ll need to explore creating a new private member menu.
  • Then I imagine I’ll create a parent page for this private menu so everything underneath it will only be available to members. It seems logical that this approach would also enable the private member menu to appear in the site map (only) for logged in members. We’ll see…

Do you have any tips for allowing the excluded pages to appear in the nav (and site map) for members only?

This seems like this ability to control nav and sitemap availability would be a cornerstone function for S2 Member plugin.

S2 Member is one of the best developed plugins I’ve seen (it really is!), but this is a somewhat gaping hole in the logic for every day use case scenarios!

Thank you,

Christopher

Posted: Wednesday Mar 28th, 2012 at 7:27 am #9338
Mark Davies
Username: mark696

Hi again Christopher,

The answer to your problem is to use a text widget with a list of links for your members. You can use a php script to show a banner or something instead when the user is not logged in. you can also apply this method to producing your front end sitemap. You will find the examples of codein your s2member control panel. Make sure you haveExec php installed.

Mark.

Posted: Thursday Mar 29th, 2012 at 4:35 am #9436

Thank you Mark!

Posted: Tuesday Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:54 pm #30197

Mark,
I’m not sure I understand your solution. Are you suggesting that when a member is logged in, replace the menu with your own list of selectable pages?

Could you be more specific about the sample code that you referred to. I couldn’t find it.

Although I suppose it is conceivable that a developer would want to leave a menu item visible for content that the user doesn’t have access to (eg lead the user to a signup page), this would not be the typical case. Visibility of the menu item and accessibility of page it points to would normally be tied together. In other words, I don’t want to even see a menu item that is going to lead me nowhere. Also, menu items may contain sensitive text that only higher level members should be allowed to see.

I’d have to concur with the ‘gaping hole’ assessment of AnotherOpus, and unfortunately this is a show stopper for me in terms of using this product.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:14 pm #30220

Update,

And this will help ALL the world no matter which membership plugins they’re using.

Get (FREE) Nav Menu Roles, by Version 1.2 | By Kathy Darling | Visit plugin site: http://www.kathyisawesome.com/449/nav-menu-roles/

Install it and look at your menu items. I think a few people here will have an aha moment. This plugin is 100% self explanatory and I’m surprised it’s not part of WordPress, and absolutely a part of s2Member.

Another plugin (I bought to use with Uber Menus) is Uber Menu Conditionals, Version 1.1 | By Chris Mavricos, SevenSpark | Visit plugin site: http://wpmegamenu.com/conditionals

We’ve got every kind of s2M conditional to use in pages but none of that in the menus.

Now we do thanks to Nav Menu Roles and Uber Menu Conditionals.

BTW I make no money from recommending these two plugins–but if you’re using any membership system that left out conditionals from the menu/navigation system–you’ll love these plugins!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.