latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

I want a very simple free signup process

Home Forums Community Forum I want a very simple free signup process

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:20 pm #20432
Phil Jones
Username: phil_tri

Please help. I am after a very simple sign-up process. Please. It is for free registration, but I cannot work out how to do it and the registration process I have ended up with is far too clunky.

What I would like is:

1) User sees link to document they want to download (eg a case study)

2) They try and download it

3) A pop-up appears asking for registration to get free access to all case studies

4) they fill it in (chosing a password)

5) They get returned to the place they were with the ability to download the document (or they get their dosument directly available) (and they can also access all other locked documents

6) Separately they get login details confirmed for another time

However I have spent ages (days!!) going thro videos and forms and documentation building a test site and now a live site but the free registration process is dreadful. This is what I have:

3) The first page appears saying they need to register. – they choose to click

4) A second page appears where they register

5) A third page appears saying – go get your password to login

6) They have to leave the site and get their password!!!!!

7) They have to log in

8) They have to find their page and document again and again try and download it.

Now by this time I would have gone elsewhere or lost the will to live!!

There must be an easier way (Like the first process). Even if it involves the pro version.

Please tell me there is an easier way and how to achieve it.

Many thanks

Phil

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Phil Jones.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jul 31st, 2012 at 4:34 am #20750
Phil Jones

Shall I assume that as no-one has relied this is not possible.

It seems such a richly featured plug-in that I assume there must be a way.

Perhaps not. please tell me either way….

Posted: Tuesday Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:53 am #20786
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Phil,

I’m sorry to say that this kind of process is not yet possible with s2Member by default.

You can definitely code this in though, any competent freelancer at jobs.wordpress.net should be able to implement this for you.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Tuesday Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:03 am #20809
cassel
Username: cassel

I “THINK” you can get the process somewhat shorter than what you got although not as clean as you wish (experts, correct me if i am wrong).

The pro version includes a login widget and i think it can be used to register too.
The login widget has an option to direct the person back to the page they were (i think i tried that last year)
And under Registration/Profile Fields & Options > Allow Custom Passwords during Registration? you can save the step of having the password sent to them

If these steps could be cut down, maybe the process will be more convenient and could meet your needs?

Posted: Thursday Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:39 pm #21034
Jason k
Username: kstyles662

OR to make things shorter.

1: Allow open registration in your wordpress general settings
2: Allow open registration in the s2member general settings
3: Change registration setting to allow users to set their own password when registering

what this will do , when they click register it will auto log them in and then they can try to find where they left off

it takes about 3 steps out of your above process.

If you are really interested in the first process of everything being right there, you can hire a freelancer like myself or others to code that process in.

Jason K.

Posted: Wednesday Aug 8th, 2012 at 3:46 am #21456
Phil Jones

Thanks Jason – OK, opening registration and allowing them to choose their password saves a stage I now have

3) The first page appears saying they need to register. – they choose to click

4) A second page appears where they register

5) They have to log in (with the same details they have just entered)

6) They have to find their page and document again and again try and download it.

Now by this time they would be frustrated by the process

I would really like to compress stages 3, 4 and 5 together so they register and log in at the same time.

Would this special form in teh pro edition help this at all or not?

Posted: Wednesday Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:21 am #21487
Jason k
Username: kstyles662

Phil,
No problem glad i can help.

You should be able to consolidate step 3 and 4 easily by just sending them to the register page instead of a extra page that tells them they have to register.

I am not sure about the pro form, as i am still using the free edition. But I am sure either way will require some custom coding to get exactly what you want. (but may take a couple steps out.)

So it doesnt seem as though you will be truly satisfied til you have the process exactly how you want.

The person sees what they want to download, they try and download it.
They go to a page to either register or login, and then automatically send them back to the page they were on.

That can be coded in but nothings there by default. Feel free to contact me for custom work.

Thanks,
Jason K.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jason k.
Posted: Wednesday Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:40 pm #21531
cassel
Username: cassel

Phil, instead of having the download link direct to a “oops you have to register”, you could have the link active only if they are logged in (so registered), using conditionals, so you might consider having a note beside (or below) the product stating : “Please log in to download” so they might go from step 1 to step 4. And with the log in widget (from the pro version), you could have it on the side.

Here is an example: http://scrapbookcampus.com/forums/
Athough the page is visible to all, the actual forum is only visible to the logged in members. Then, with some options in the widget, the client can be brought back to the same page.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  cassel.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.