latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

IE 9 Crashing

Home Forums Community Forum IE 9 Crashing

This topic contains 30 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:09 am #28198
Stuart Giles
Username: Juggy69

Hi Sorry for repeat post other one closed

I have created a forum post with the developer of the theme
http://support-rt.com/discussion/5009/ie9-crashing#Item_6

If you visit this page in IE9 the program crashes
http://dev.youracp.org/personal-membership/associate-grade-aacp-membership-gbp-payment-form/

I know there are issue with the S2 setup on the dev site but IE9 crashes as soon as you enter your details and chose payment method

The only active plugin is S2member and the theme

This is the live site url
http://www.youracp.org/personal-membership/associate-grade-aacp-membership-gbp-payment-form/

Regards

Stuart

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:02 pm #28266
Stuart Giles

Hello,

The theme developer is adament it is the plugin i have had another person look at the issue and it looks to be the Plugin “validation form JS plugin”

Not sure if that helps

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Friday Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:19 pm #28280
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Stuart,

Well if deactivating that plugin gets rid of the problem then it probably is the problem.

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:54 pm #28281
Stuart Giles

Hi the JS feature is part of the S2member plugin sorry for not making that clear

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Saturday Oct 13th, 2012 at 7:35 am #28315

Stuart, if you just have WP with s2Member and the default theme, do you also get that error/problem?

I understand there’s a problem between s2Member and the theme you’re using.

Could you please check if the theme is using [hilite mono]wp_enqueue_script[/hilite] to load it’s JavaScript? http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script

Posted: Monday Oct 15th, 2012 at 2:40 pm #28457
Stuart Giles

Hi Christian,

I have tried 2 seperate themes and work fine

“Respose from Theme Developer:-
I’ve checked with the IE9 and get the crashing issue. Ok the plugin might be working with default theme of wordpress but that doesn’t mean that it has no problems. My theme also has been coded in the right way and it works properly with a lot of plugins without any problems. So, please contact the plugin author again to get help. Thanks for your understanding”

I have asked about “wp_enqueue_script” but again awaiting a response for the last day or so

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 9:44 am #28537

Okay. Let me know when you hear back regarding that then, please. :)

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:12 pm #28580
Stuart Giles

Hi Critian,

Response below
“If you open the admin.php and theme.php in the rt-framework/classes folder you will see the theme uses wp_enqueue functions.”

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:31 am #28671

Thank you.

Okay, I’ll ask Jason for his opinion on this. :)

In the meantime, it’d be good if you could send the site’s info, in case he wants to take a closer look. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 12:04 pm #28715
Stuart Giles

Ok will do

I will provide the details for the dev site as it is a like for like version of the live site and still has the same issues

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 1:00 pm #28720
Stuart Giles

All details sent via the contact form

all plugins except S2member deactivated also

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:47 pm #28794
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

Thanks for reporting this important issue. You’re not the first person to report this problem. If you search for IE9 in our support forums here, you’ll find that others in the past have experienced similar issues from time to time.

The underlying cause has almost always been related to other JavaScript errors that exist in other parts of your theme and/or with another plugin somewhere, which might be loading a JavaScript dependency that either contains errors, or has code that conflicts with s2Member Pro’s use of the jQuery extension.

I just took a quick look at your site with FireBug installed, and I’m finding that you currently have some JavaScript errors that need to be resolved in a jQuery extension that is NOT loaded by s2Member. I would recommend that you correct that issue first, and then do cross browser testing again.

The reason this issue is reported most often with IE9 as the culprit, is that IE9 tends to be less forgiving about JavaScript errors that exist in other parts of the site. I’ve seen IE9 (and other browsers too, but more so in IE9), where a single JavaScript error that exists in an entirely unrelated part of your code, have far reaching impacts on the performance and behavior of s2Member Pro Forms (as well other parts of a site).

Using a debugging tool like FireBug will help you resolve this. If you cannot, I suggest that you hire a freelancer to do a review of your installation, and help you work out any kinks that might exist between the plugins you’re running together on a single installation. I’d look for someone experienced in WordPress, and who is quite good at debugging JavaScript conflicts.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 11:55 pm #28795
Stuart Giles

Hi Jason,

Can you confirm this is the theme itself or something else?

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Thursday Oct 18th, 2012 at 12:11 am #28797
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well the error that I’m seeeing in FireBug, is occuring in this file, which IS loaded by your theme:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://dev.youracp.org/wp-content/themes/rttheme14/js/jquery.cycle.all.min.js?ver=3.4.2'></script>

However, this does not necessarily mean that your theme is broken in a bad way. Sometimes these errors occur due to a misconfiguration of something that is theme-related. I would start by asking your theme developer what that cycle plugin for jQuery does exactly (i.e. what is it powering)?

Then go from there. It could be the the cycle plugin powers something like a slideshow, and maybe you’re missing images for the slideshow, which results in a JavaScript error? Hard to know for sure from this end.

Posted: Friday Oct 19th, 2012 at 3:29 pm #29060
Stuart Giles

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info very much appreciated

Now awaiting Theme developer to fix / investigate, i also have another guy hopefully looking into it for me also

Once again thanks for the support

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Monday Oct 22nd, 2012 at 2:36 pm #29305
Stuart Giles

Any of the support staff here now how to fix the JS issue?

Theme developer taken so far over 4 days to respond

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Tuesday Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:30 pm #29415
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Stuart,

Each WordPress theme will have its own JavaScript, specific to that theme. Unfortunately the theme developer is the best person to fix this problem. If you’re not getting any response from the theme developer, you may want to post a job on jobs.wordpress.net.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:09 pm #29459
Stuart Giles

Hi

I have just had this response from the developer

“Hello Stuart,

Yes, the theme is using “wp_enqueue_script” to load scripts and it also loads only the jQuery version that comes with WordPress! Theme has recently updated which is current version 1.5 and you can be sure that everything is working fine and well coded.

The problem is the plugin you trying to use. The theme is working fine most of the plugins but that one crashing with the plugin. I coded everything correctly, so the plugin’ author needs to help you!

Please note that, the theme is not crashing IE9 without that plugin.”

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Tuesday Oct 23rd, 2012 at 6:29 pm #29460
Stuart Giles

Another update

“When you use the “wp_enqueue_script” of WordPress the script is including automatically. Since users may want to use the cycle slider script on their home page or any other page with a shortcode, it should be available for all pages.”

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:10 am #29508
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-ups.

I just took another look at your site as it exists now.
http://dev.youracp.org/personal-membership/associate-grade-aacp-membership-gbp-payment-form/

I’m still seeing the same JavaScript error that existed before, and this error exists in all browsers that I tested. Including Firefox, Chrome, and IE9. As I said before, until the JavaScript error is resolved, this problem is likely to persist. If you can get the JavaScript error corrected, and if the problem still exists, we’ll be more than happy to take a look for you. We’ll also be happy to help with correcting any JavaScript errors that exist in s2Member Pro.

That being said, the error that I’m seeing on your site (in ALL browsers), is not contained within a file that ships with s2Member or with s2Member Pro. This file came with your theme, at least it appears that way. I know for sure the file did not come with s2Member or with s2Member Pro.

I won’t try and argue that the underlying cause is or is not attributed to s2Member Pro. However, the logical way to debug an issue like this is to start with the problematic area in the code. In this case, that problematic area lies within jquery.cycle.all.min.js, which ships with your theme. Your theme developer should help you with this, no question. Disabling s2Member is not an option for you, so your theme and s2Member both need to work together harmoniously. In this case, that seems to be the issue.

If you fix this problem, and then another issue comes up which is directly related to a file that ships with s2Member, or a feature powered by s2Member, we’ll be happy to assist you. JavaScript conflicts can be a tricky thing to debug, and a methodical approach is best. I recommend starting with the debugging output that I provided, and zap the bug that we know exists. Once all JavaScript errors are resolved, I think you’ll find that your IE9 issue will disappear silently as it’s done in many other cases where the same type of issue has been reported here in these forums.

To clarify, it is my belief your IE9 crashes are a result of JavaScript errors that exist in ALL browsers, but more visible in IE9, due to it’s inability to recover quite as gracefully as other browsers can. Regardless of my opinion though, the JavaScript errors that exist outside of s2Member, MUST be resolved before we can proceed with further debugging from our end. If your theme developer finds a conflict between his theme and our plugin, which is causing the error to pop up in a file that he is using (not likely, but certainly possible), we’ll be happy to work with him to find a resolution. Please feel free to point your theme developer to this thread.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:04 pm #29530
Stuart Giles

Hi Jason,

Once again thanks for your information

I will continue to liase with the theme developer

Kind Regards

Stuart

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 3:12 pm #29570
Stuart Giles

Hello,

Again just some more info from theme developer as it looks like we are getting somewhere now :-)

**Just for testing open the theme.php in rt-framework/classes folder disable line 40.

does the form then work?

you can disable the line by putting two // infront of that line.***

Did the above and can confirm 100% that the form doesn’t crash in IE, by all means you can visit the Dev site to confirm the effect this now has is the “menu Nav’s” no longer link :-)

The joys, but anyway this is for information only

Regards

Stuart

Posted: Thursday Oct 25th, 2012 at 1:35 pm #29664
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Thanks for the update, Stuart! Good to hear you’re getting help from your theme developer in fixing this issue with your theme. :)

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:06 pm #29847
Stuart Giles

I know you already know this but i have confirmed 100% that the theme is the issue with the help of firebug

This error happens with every plugin disabled also

Again info only incase it helps other peeps ;-)

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:59 pm #29857

Thank you very much for the update. We’re very glad you’re getting it solved! :)

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:50 pm #29872
Stuart Giles

Ok the good news that JS issue has now gone from firebug

However IE 9 is still crashing, again i can enter the General details until i choose a paymnt type and then it dies?

I can not see any errors in firebug for it either

Need help this time ;-)

Regards

Stuart

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.