latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

IE8 cannot download files

Home Forums Community Forum IE8 cannot download files

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Dan Stramer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:37 am #44342

HI
I have a problem with IE8 whenever I try to download a file from the S2 secure are a get an error message.
I am attaching the link to the error screen shot.
http://s20.postimage.org/hoap7tkvh/Error_IE8.jpg

On all other browsers the download works.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
Dan

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Mar 13th, 2013 at 4:13 pm #44528

Hi Dan.

Are you using the s2member-files folder or the Amazon S3 integration?

Could you also submit your site info just in case? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Mar 13th, 2013 at 4:41 pm #44533

Hi,
I am using the s2 members files folder.
I submitted the site’s info as you requested.
Thanks
Dan

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 5:47 am #44912

Hi Dan. Sorry about the delay.

Thanks, got the email. I tried logging in to the dashboard but the credentials you submitted didn’t work. Could you please resubmit that? Please let me know again when you resubmitted it. Thanks! s2Member® » Private Contact Form

By the way, did you try all the suggestions in this guide? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 6:15 am #44913

By the way, here’s what Jason told me a moment ago:

We could ask him to place this in his /wp-config.php file as a quick test; and then remove it after the test is done.

[hilite pre_code]
$_SERVER['HTTP_RANGE'] = NULL;
[/hilite]

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/ie8-http-range-header-internet-explorer-8-sends/bab46da5-587a-4c09-99fe-4c33fa4f6c18?msgId=58b5bb40-f86c-49e6-9788-d73375a52236

I will investigate this further tomorrow.

Could you please try that?

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 12:58 pm #44933

Hi Crisitan
What does this line of code do?
$_SERVER[‘HTTP_RANGE’] = NULL;

Dan

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:11 pm #44945
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread :-)

$_SERVER['HTTP_RANGE'] = NULL;

This will cause PHP to ignore Byte-Range requests from a browser, and instead serve the full file regardless of what the browser asks for. The suspicion being that IE8 might be requesting a Byte-Range, but it’s requesting an invalid range. I’m going to run some tests against this theory now and see if there is anything to it.

Please stand by. This is the first report like this that we’ve had about IE8.

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:52 pm #44946
Staff Member

Theory shot down (which is good actually). I was unable to find a bug in IE8 byte-range requests.

I also ran tests at BrowserStack.com against the current release of s2Member® and IE8. So far I’ve been unable to reproduce the bug you reported here. I tested this against ZIP, PDF MP3 and MP4 files; both with and without download keys; both with and without local storage options. No bugs in these latest tests.

Can you please let me know what type of file you’re trying to download; and how large? Also, if problems persist, please post a Dashboard login so we can make an attempt to reproduce this in your environment. Thanks!

Please use this form to submit a private Dashboard login:
s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Sunday Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:16 am #44967

Hi Jason
Thanks for helping here.
The file is a .rar file 22.5kb in size.
I would like to say that only when copying and pasting the url in the address bar the browser causes the error.
When clicking on the link in the webpage the download is ok.
I posted a dashboard login previously, I’ll do it again.

Dan

Posted: Sunday Mar 17th, 2013 at 6:11 am #44975
Staff Member

Thanks for your reply :-)

Details received. Can you please check on the Dashboard user/pass you sent over? I can’t seem to log in. If you need to, you can submit the form again. Thanks!
Posted: Monday Mar 18th, 2013 at 11:50 am #45049

Hi Jason,
I submitted the details again

Dan

Posted: Wednesday Mar 20th, 2013 at 2:19 am #45196

Hi Jason,
Did you have a chance to take a look?

Thanks,
Dan

Posted: Thursday Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:17 am #45283
Staff Member

Hi Dan. Thank you.
~ I’m taking a look at this again now.

Posted: Thursday Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:46 am #45287
Staff Member

I was able to reproduce this on both of the following configurations.

– IE8 running on Windows XP
– IE8 running on Windows 7

The strange thing is that it only occurs ONE time (i.e. it fails initially); but if I try it again it works just fine in that browser session. I ran a quick search and found this related article at StackOverflow. See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3415370/ie-unable-to-download-from-unable-to-open-this-internet-site-the-request

I’m investigating this now to see if there anything we can do.

Posted: Thursday Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:17 am #45289
Staff Member

Disabling no-cache headers does seem to workaround this IE8 bug.

Please create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/ie8-nocache-headers.php
(NOTE: these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins)
(See also: http://www.s2member.com/kb/hacking-s2member/)

Posted: Thursday Mar 21st, 2013 at 2:22 am #45291

Thanks Jason,
Created the file and giving it a check.
Will update…

Dan

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.