latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Image Galleries and s2memeber

Home Forums Community Forum Image Galleries and s2memeber

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Aug 4th, 2012 at 11:14 pm #21164
billy bob
Username: thisguy

Hi there,

So far s2member looks like an amazing product and with support for authorize.net being in the pro version, i will absolutely be buying it assuming it fits my needs.

After much research I have been unable to truly figure out if s2member can accomplish what i need so i’m resorting to posting this presale question with my needs in hopes that someone from s2member can give me a solid answer.

On to the scenario:

– My site’s main content is in the form of posts that contain pretty large collections of images (35-50 or more).
– Specific posts will be flagged as “premium” posts by using a tag called “premium”
– Posts flagged as “premium” should have the following behavior:
— The post itself is publicly viewable
— The post’s image gallery thumbnails are publicly viewable
— The post’s fullsize images should only be viewable by paying members

Is this possible?
Further, is it possible to do this with the nextgen plugin?

Thank you!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Aug 5th, 2012 at 1:20 pm #21184
cassel
Username: cassel

HI Billy,
I am not an official support person but a user like you. Although i might not have a definite answer, i can share what i did.

I have looked at nextgen and although it looks good, it didn’t meet my needs so i didn’t pursue it further.

For the images to be viewable by some and not others, i think you might be able to use some conditionals. This is simple coding (i can even do that!) where you would have something (here is just in plain english) like:
– if user has a certain level
— show the image
– if not
— show a message saying they are not allowed to view this image

Now, where do you put the code? I am not really sure. I guess it will depend on how you get the large image to show, whether it is like a popup, or a separate page.

I am sure one of the reps will come and clarify my explanation, but i am pretty sure you can do it with s2m. Heck, it does almost everything (except make coffee).

Posted: Monday Aug 6th, 2012 at 5:07 pm #21275
billy bob

@cassel thank you for responding. Do you have an example of your final implementation? I’d love to see how it functions.

Looking forward to hearing from a sales/support rep.

Posted: Monday Aug 6th, 2012 at 6:08 pm #21280
cassel

Billy i just didn’t pursue the idea of a gallery limited to some members and not others. So i could not give you much example.

As for the conditionals, you can look at this video:
http://www.s2member.com/videos/D415163AD094991B/

Posted: Monday Aug 6th, 2012 at 7:28 pm #21283
billy bob

@cassel, sorry to be clear, i was wondering if i could see your final site?

Posted: Monday Aug 6th, 2012 at 10:58 pm #21302
cassel

Oh… yeah, i guess you can see it:
http://scrapbookcampus.com

Posted: Tuesday Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:48 am #21360

Hi Billy Bob.

Is this possible?
Further, is it possible to do this with the nextgen plugin?

Yes, it is possible, but it won’t do that out-of-the-box. You’ll need to customize your gallery a bit so it only serves the large version of the image to those with the access for it. Like Cassel said, you’d use conditionals for that. There are some extra functions that may help you too: http://www.s2member.com/codex/stable/s2member/api_functions/package-summary/

Basically, your gallery would first need to see if the tag is there, in order to know if the images are protected, then check if the user has the access for them, and show the image, or link to it, based on that.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Tuesday Aug 7th, 2012 at 12:51 pm #21384
billy bob

@Cristián thanks a lot for responding.

Two more questions:

1-
Is this practice documented somewhere or any examples/threads/blogs/anything that you know of?
I’d really like to learn as much about this as i can BEFORE buying.

2-
Do you offer any sort of “money back” if i cannot get s2member to fit my needs?

Thank you!

Posted: Tuesday Aug 7th, 2012 at 9:12 pm #21447
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Billy,

Not sure about your first question, but the second one, here’s the link to the refund policy:
s2Member® » Terms » Refund Policy

Hoe this helps. :)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.