latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Import users to other installation

Home Forums Community Forum Import users to other installation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Adam Tal 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:29 am #19971
Adam Tal
Username: baduist

I have two separate products based on s2m, and would like to make a time limited offer where buying one product entitles you a free membership for the other as well.

Would the best way of doing this be importing all the members to the other product’s s2m? Will this work? Will password be imported as well?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jul 23rd, 2012 at 7:59 am #19983

Hi Adam.

Are these products in separate sites? If so, then yes, you could probably try doing a user export from one to import into the other one.

Password migration would not be possible, though. They’d have to be given one by you or required to create their own again.

[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› User/Member Exportation[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› User/Member Importation[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Tuesday Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:44 am #20033
Adam Tal

If I export 1000 users to a separate site, what would be their default password for the new site?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 24th, 2012 at 8:30 am #20059

If you don’t import a password, then WP would generate one randomly and they’d need to use the Lost Password tool to get it emailed to them.

If you want to give them one, it can be the one you choose, just enter it in the column for the password in your CSV file.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 24th, 2012 at 8:56 am #20065
Adam Tal

Cool thanks!

Is there a better way you think I can achieve this goal (free membership to site X if you get a membership for site Y – assuming they are both based on s2m)?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 25th, 2012 at 12:54 am #20144
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Adam,

If I were doing this, I’d simply put up a notice for users of Site Y when they login that says “You can get a free account on Site X! Please click here to signup now.”. Then, you link to a special page on Site X that has a Free Registration form.

If you wanted to make things more secure to prevent non-Site-Y members from accessing that Free Registration page on Site X, you could implement your own time-sensitive key with PHP that gets added to the URL of the Free Registration form, and then on the Free Registration form you check to make sure the key is valid before letting the register. This feature is all outside of s2Member’s functionality, so you’d need to implement that key-checking part on your own.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 25th, 2012 at 2:07 am #20150
Adam Tal

That’s a very good idea. I think that’s what I’m going to do.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.