latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Importing users from Drupal

Home Forums Community Forum Importing users from Drupal

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 12:46 pm #28575
Tom
Username: halasyt

Hi,
I’m migrating my site from drupal to WP, and have many existing users to import. I see that there is a CSV import tool in S2, which looks good, I just have 2 questions:

1. I don’t have the real passwords for each user, Drupal encrypts them in the database using MD5 (just like WP). If you copy the MD5 encoded password string from the Drupal DB to the WP DB, it works, the “real” password stays the same.
So if I include the MD5 encoded password in the CSV import file, will it import just the actual string from the CSV, or will it try to MD5 encode the string again?

2. I have about 30,000 members to import, but I see that you can only import them in batches of 100 at a time into S2. Not very time efficient in my case. Is there any way to speed this up?

Thanks
Tom

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:07 am #28667

Hi Tom.

So if I include the MD5 encoded password in the CSV import file, will it import just the actual string from the CSV, or will it try to MD5 encode the string again?

It would encode it again, it’d normally get unencoded passwords.

2. I have about 30,000 members to import, but I see that you can only import them in batches of 100 at a time into S2. Not very time efficient in my case. Is there any way to speed this up?

You can do more, but you risk having issues due to runtime and memory. http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/adding-many-members-to-s2member-sort-by-date/#post-27389

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:25 am #28668
Tom

Thanks Cristián,

Concerning the password MD5 encoding, how does your user import process work exactly? Does it use the standard wp_create_user or do you do your own thing? I’m asking to see if I can turn off the MD5 encoding function somehow when importing. I wouldn’t want 30,000 people to have to create new passwords if they don’t have to.

Thanks!

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:29 am #28689
Tom

Or I just had an idea, maybe it would be easier to just import and let the MD5 encryption take place, than write a script to overwrite the wrong passwords with the correct ones, using the username as the key. I think that would work best.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:58 am #28701

Yeah, your custom script to update the passwords in the database may be the best approach if you’re positive that they’ll work with WP as they do with Drupal.

By the way, you can leave the password field blank in the import CSV, then a new one will be generated for each user, but you’ll just replace it with your script.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.