latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

instant creation/cancel of payment profiles

Home Forums Community Forum instant creation/cancel of payment profiles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Mike (Volunteer Moderator) 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jul 27th, 2013 at 3:18 pm #54242
jt22
Username: yoda22

I am having a similar problem many are having, but all of the solutions seem to specific to that persons setup…

Basically from time to time I get members who upgrade, get a confirmation email that it went through but yet, almost immediately on the PayPal site, the profile is cancelled and their accounts are never charged. I’m in the dark about why these are happening and how to troubleshoot and correct the issues.

In the latest instance, I contacted to user and asked them to resubmit (perhaps some of their info was wrong). But when they did it again, the same cancellation happened once more. Rather than reach out a 3rd time telling to the customer to keep trying, I’d rather be armed with something intelligible to suggest what might be happening. I have logs setup (both the paypal-api and the paypal-ipn) but I don’t know what to look for in terms of the problem.

I’d also like an alternative to be able to process their transactions. I know paypal offers a virtual terminal where I can input the users information directly, but does that sync up with recurring billing and s2member?

Side question: is there no verification that happens immediately when a customer tries to signup that could give them instant feedback saying their transaction didn’t go through?

Lastly, I also get a quite a bit of “payment skipped” emails on a daily basis (3-5) from users who have made successful payments in the past and will continue to in the future. Are you aware of any “fix” for these scenarios? Googling “payment skipped” yields lots of people from many platforms that have this issue so I’m assuming its not in the hands of s2member. But maybe PayPal has heeded these complaints (I too have posed this question to them with no solution whatsoever) and corrected that flaw and made it available in their API (wishful thinking). Anyway, I’m pretty sure you’ll say you can’t do anything about this (and I’ll believe you) but I think it needs to go on record.

Thanks,
Joe

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jul 28th, 2013 at 2:41 am #54270

I’d also like an alternative to be able to process their transactions. I know paypal offers a virtual terminal where I can input the users information directly, but does that sync up with recurring billing and s2member?

Yes. If you setup something manually at PayPal, just be sure to come back to your WP installation and update the Paid Subscr. ID and payment gateway for that User. That way s2Member® has the right ID in your WP database, and it can respond to any future IPN communication that comes in for that ID.

The Paid Subscr. ID is your PayPal Transaction ID. Or, if you setup a Recurring Profile, use the Recurring Profile ID, or Subscription ID instead. You’ll find further instructions from s2Member when you go to enter this value in the WP Dashboard.

Side question: is there no verification that happens immediately when a customer tries to signup that could give them instant feedback saying their transaction didn’t go through?

Yes, if a transaction fails it is reported to the user immediately and they will not be allowed in. In your case it sounds like there is an unexpected error occurring during post-processing (e.g. the transaction is going through, but it’s not being recognized for some reason).

In order to identify this, you will need s2Member® support to inspect your log files. Please use this form to submit those, and reference this forum thread please. See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Sunday Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:43 pm #54308
jt22

~ AUTO-GENERATED NOTICE TO SUPPORT REPS

Action taken: I posted a private contact form and referenced this Topic.

Posted: Sunday Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:43 pm #54309
jt22

Thanks I have submitted the form. The two most recent instances are as follows:

A guy named William who was trying to make a monthly payment of $14.95 on the following dates:

7/26/13 (the initial creation/failure)
Subscriber ID: I-DEC8472VWYD2

7/27/13 (after I reached out and told him to do it again)
Subscriber ID: I-PBTSJSF728G1

The case before that was a guy named Kirby, also for $14.95. I never contacted him but in his case the system created and cancelled two accounts within 15 minutes:

7/24/13 11:46am
Subscriber ID: I-PX9DWW7FY89A

7/24/13 12:03pm
Subscriber ID: I-FH05HMMCXXPD

Posted: Tuesday Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:26 pm #54432

Thank you. This is currently being investigated by tech
support and we will be sure to update this thread again shortly.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 31st, 2013 at 2:44 pm #54529

Our developers looked into this and investigated your log files.

We’re seeing an abnormal ratio of failed payments vs. new signups in your log files. Do you deal with a lot of payment failures? Is your particular business model prone to fake credit cards or high in fraud? Anything like that?

Regarding the signups followed by an immediate cancellation.

Our lead developer looked into this and he showed me several log entries that look like this.

array (
  'txn_type' => 'subscr_signup',
  'subscr_id' => 'I-PX9DWW7FY89A',

Followed almost immediately by a cancellation IPN from PayPal.

array (
  'payment_cycle' => 'Monthly',
  'txn_type' => 'recurring_payment_profile_cancel',
  'last_name' => 'mcphauljr',
  'initial_payment_status' => 'Failed',
  'recurring_payment_id' => 'I-PX9DWW7FY89A',

Note that it says: ‘initial_payment_status’ => ‘Failed’,.

This is happening because the initial payment is failing almost immediately after the customer completes checkout. You can prevent this from ever happening by switching s2Member® over to Real Time/Direct Pay mode when it comes to Recurring Billing. Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details and look at this configurable option. There is further documentation on this in your Dashboard.

Posted: Wednesday Aug 7th, 2013 at 11:15 pm #55385
jt22

What would be a normal ratio of failed payments to new signups? We offer services to cab drivers and there is nothing about what we do that subject itself to anyone needing to supply fraudulent info.

I wonder if that relates to the problem of “Payment Skipped” message that I get at least 7 times a week from PayPal. Regular users who have made successful charges in the past (and do in the future) trigger these errors. Are you certain s2member is out of the equation regarding those situations?

Thank you for showing me the “real-time” feature I will utilize that. Is there something beyond “failed” that appears in the logs so I can know if it was declined, or wrong address or anything like that?

Any updates on the Google Wallet integration??

Thanks,
Joe

Posted: Friday Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:46 am #55484

What would be a normal ratio of failed payments to new signups? We offer services to cab drivers and there is nothing about what we do that subject itself to anyone needing to supply fraudulent info.

I wonder if that relates to the problem of “Payment Skipped” message that I get at least 7 times a week from PayPal. Regular users who have made successful charges in the past (and do in the future) trigger these errors. Are you certain s2member is out of the equation regarding those situations?

The normal range would be very few (and perhaps none for several days at a time). That is, no failed payments, or just happens every once in awhile; i.e. NOT all the time.

There’s nothing that s2Member® can do about payment failures. However, I would be sure to contact PayPal about this also (that’s who’s processing the transactions), and just check with them to be sure there’s nothing wrong with your PayPal account configuration overall, which might be causing this inadvertently.

I myself, am not aware of anything that would cause this, other than a lack of funds or outright fraud.

Thank you for showing me the “real-time” feature I will utilize that. Is there something beyond “failed” that appears in the logs so I can know if it was declined, or wrong address or anything like that?

Yes, please keep tabs on this log file from your Dashboard.
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› s2Member® Log Viewer
Keep an eye on this file: paypal-api.log or paypal-payflow-api.log.

Any updates on the Google Wallet integration??

The latest update is posted here, that’s all that I have at this time.
See: Knowledge Base » Google Checkout vs. Google Wallet

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.