latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Integration with external eReader customer

Home Forums Community Forum Integration with external eReader customer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Mar 23rd, 2012 at 4:14 am #8875
Nigel
Username: enquirer32

I want to be able to integrate the possibility of a person who has paid on site (using S2 Member) and someone who pays off-site (eg Kindle subscription). The latter is pulled via a feed from the main site. Now I can give the Kindle user a voucher which they can plug in to the website so they don’t pay twice but how can I make sure that subscribers and also Kindle users get the feed without, say, duplicating all the content and running it using two separate feeds and without having to manually add people to the website. I had thought of using the Feed Key Generator for which one also needs Network Privacy plugin but this is all rather top-heavy – don’t you think? Can you suggest a better way to handle this? Thanks.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 23rd, 2012 at 1:46 pm #8939
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Nigel,

The primary issue here will be authenticating the feed. To my knowledge, the Kindle subscription service doesn’t offer any means of authenticating a feed. So to protect that feed, a feed key will be your only option.

That said, if you intend to protect that same content with s2Member, the feed content won’t be accessible unless the person accessing the feed is logged in (which rules out Kindle subscribers, as there is no method of authenticating that way).

So, your only option would be to duplicate the content, or to at least dynamically generate a duplicate the feed that bypasses the s2Member restrictions and displays the content in that feed regardless of restrictions (you could then use that feed for Kindle subscribers). That’s probably how I’d approach the problem.

All of this would be outside the scope of our support policy (see s2Member® » Support Policy » Outside Scope), so you’d be on your own as far as creating that customization.

Posted: Friday Mar 30th, 2012 at 7:20 am #9571
Nigel

I’ve since discovered that Kindle, for example, does support password protected feeds. So the way to go is to set up a membership level slightly higher than the usual subscriber so you can publish contents specific to the Kindle – there are reasons to do this. Anyway, it works!

Posted: Saturday Mar 31st, 2012 at 2:56 am #9641

Oh cool! Thanks for the tip, Nigel. :)

Could you show us how you set up the authentication in Kindle? Thanks!

Posted: Saturday Mar 31st, 2012 at 8:51 am #9657
Nigel

well.. it’s not all a bed of roses. See my current posts here:

http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/rss-feed-not-showing-properly/

I have an outstanding issue on this post which would be good to resolve. Thanks.

Posted: Sunday Apr 1st, 2012 at 11:13 pm #9730

I see. I left you a reply there.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.