latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

IPN logs say recurring_payment for buy now

Home Forums Community Forum IPN logs say recurring_payment for buy now

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Nov 3rd, 2012 at 8:53 am #30545

Just want to confirm that my log entry that says recurring_payment will actually not result in a recurring payment since I created a Buy Now button. Where can I check in the log for confirmation that the subscription type is actually a non-recurring buy now payment type?

Thanks
Colin

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Nov 4th, 2012 at 5:49 am #30580

With logging enabled, you can find the logs under /wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging[/hilite]

The transaction type for Buy Now is called [hilite mono]web_accept[/hilite]. https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_html_IPNandPDTVariables

web_accept: Payment received; source is a Buy Now, Donation, or Auction Smart Logos button
Posted: Sunday Nov 4th, 2012 at 7:27 am #30584

Okay, I do see web_accept as the transaction type. I see the following (I edited out some entries via the [SNIP] string for brevity and deleted the confirmation email stuff for privacy reasons):

User-Agent:
array (
[SNIP]
‘txn_type’ => ‘web_accept’,
‘s2member_log’ =>
array (
0 => ‘IPN received on: Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:14:34 am UTC’,
1 => ‘s2Member POST vars verified through a POST back to PayPal®.’,
2 => ‘s2Member originating domain ( `$_SERVER[“HTTP_HOST”]` ) validated.’,
3 => ‘s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ).’,
4 => ‘s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ) w/o update vars.’,
5 => ‘Signup Confirmation Email sent to: “[…]” […]’,
6 => ‘Storing `payment` for Subscription via ( `web_accept` ).’,
7 => ‘Creating an IPN response for `subscr_payment`. This will go into a Transient Queue; and be processed during registration.’,
8 => ‘Storing IPN signup vars into a Transient Queue. These will be processed on registration.’,
),

But what was confusing to me was the following log entry just below:

array (
‘txn_type’ => ‘subscr_payment’,
[SNIP]
‘s2member_log’ =>
array (
0 => ‘IPN received on: Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:16:06 am UTC’,
1 => ‘s2Member POST vars verified with a Proxy Key’,
2 => ‘s2Member originating domain ( `$_SERVER[“HTTP_HOST”]` ) validated.’,
3 => ‘s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `subscr_payment|recurring_payment` ).’,
4 => ‘Sleeping for 5 seconds. Waiting for a possible ( `subscr_signup|subscr_modify|recurring_payment_profile_created` ).’,
5 => ‘Awake. It\’s Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:16:11 am UTC. s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `subscr_payment|recurring_payment` ).’,
6 => ‘Updated Payment Times for this Member.’,
),

For this entry, the txn_type was subscr_payment. Can I safely ignore the recurring_payment string? Since it is within an or clause.

Posted: Sunday Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:29 pm #30595

If it’s the entry just below in the same log, then it’s not the same transaction. Is it the same customer?

I’d like to see the logs and look at the site, if that’s okay. You can send the info privately. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Do you only sell Buy Now in your site, or do you also have a subscription for sale?

I’ll ask Jason about the [hilite mono]`web_accept|subscr_signup`[/hilite] part.

Posted: Sunday Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:14 pm #30597

Yes, it was for the same person, same transaction(?). I will send you the log info privately.

We have a Buy Now buttons as well as Specific Post/Page Access buttons. We don’t have subscription buttons.

FYI, here is the Buy Now button generated by s2member:

[s2Member-PayPal-Button level="1" ccaps="" desc="Canada 1 Year (2 Issues) - $30" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="CAD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.dorchesterreview.ca" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="30" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Colin Gajraj.
Posted: Sunday Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:52 pm #30600

FYI, I just sent you the information for you to login and check the logs. Appreciate your timely feedback!

Posted: Monday Nov 5th, 2012 at 5:49 pm #30697

Thanks for the info. :)

I looked and couldn’t find the email with the login details. Didn’t arrive for some reason… Could you please send it again? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Could you please read this article and try the suggestions given there so we can discard those as reasons for what you’re experiencing? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Sunday Nov 11th, 2012 at 1:54 pm #31259
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

Regarding s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ).

This is simply a reflection of the way s2Member groups certain types of events (e.g. IPNs from PayPal in this case). With s2Member, the same underlying routine (identifier) handles both incoming subscr_signup IPNs, as handles incoming web_accept IPNs.

s2Member is just recording which identifier was used to handle this particular IPN from PayPal. The important thing to look at there, is the actual value of the txn_type that was received by s2Member. In the log entry you posted, this was a web_accept transaction.

Regarding ‘s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `subscr_payment|recurring_payment` ).’,

s2Member automatically translates a web_accept transaction (one which is NOT associated with recurring payments, but only with a one-time fee), into an additional on-site subscr_payment IPN, which s2Member also needs to process for all first-time customers. This allows s2Member’s record of all payment times to function properly, and in a more uniform way.

Thus, anytime a web_accept transaction comes in, you’ll also see a subscr_payment IPN processed internally by s2Member in the log file. I realize that’s rather confusing; I’ll make a note to try and clarify this further in the logs, in a future release.

The important thing to note here, is that it’s NOT PayPal sending a subscr_payment in this case, it’s s2Member queuing this up and then processing it on-site, so that a payment event and payment time is actually processed; even in cases where PayPal’s own IPN system does not handle this on it’s own.

As noted in the first log entry…

7 => ‘Creating an IPN response for `subscr_payment`. This will go into a Transient Queue; and be processed during registration.’,
Posted: Sunday Nov 11th, 2012 at 2:05 pm #31260

Wow! Thanks for following up – I had gotten side-tracked with other issues but was planning to follow up myself. I really appreciate you doing this. I can rest assured now that things are okay. Thanks again…

Posted: Monday Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:17 pm #31355
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

That’s great to hear, Colin! Thanks for the update. :)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.