latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

JW Player 6 shortcode problem – ideas?

Home Forums Community Forum JW Player 6 shortcode problem – ideas?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  RossGrant 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 3:02 pm #39785
RossGrant
Username: RossGrant

Hey guys,

This is no doubt just me being daft, but could you take a look at this shortcode and tell me why it isn’t rendering anything?

I’ve uploaded the new JW Player files to the root of my site, I had already been using JW-Player 5 with S3 and Cloudfront, so haven’t changed anything there, but for some reason this shortcode produces nothing.

You don’t see the actual shortcode on the page, you just don’t see anything where the payer should be. No white space, it’s like that shortcode just isn’t there.

Any ideas? JW Player 5 with Philly’s shortcodes worked perfectly, so I’m guessing I’m just making a simple error here:

[s2Stream player="jwplayer-v6-rtmp" player_path="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js" downloadkey="true" player_width="640" player_height="360" file_download="/videos/SACU1/Intro.mp4" player_image="http://www.mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Video-Pack-1-Background.jpg" /]

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  RossGrant.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:05 pm #39796
Echomango
Username: echomango

Hi Ross – We are in similar situations. In playing with the shortcodes for JWPlayer 6 I found that I would see a similar “disappearance” of everything if I was not logged in. Are you logged in when trying this?

Also, are you calling the videos from cloudfront or from a local host? When I try to use these shortcodes they work with cloudfront but I cannot seem to get a local file to play even when using the “s2Stream player=”jwplayer-v6” shortcode. Here’s an example of one that is working for me, everything works except the player_image shortcode.

[s2Stream player="jwplayer-v6-rtmp" player_path="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js" file_download="5things-d.mp4" player_width="320" player_height="180" player_image="http://my site.com/wp-content/uploads/men2.png" /]

I am beta testing the free version at this point and don’t need a download key. I wonder if that might make a difference? I wonder what would happen if you omitted the download key shortcode?

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:09 pm #39797
RossGrant

Hey Echo, the download key doesn’t refer to a premium version of JW Player, it allows S2Member to authenticate access for non-logged in members.

I actually think this is why your videos disappear when you are logged out.

Add downloadkey=”true” to your code and you’ll probably find it’s fine when you log out then.

I’m not sure what is causing my issue. I’m pretty experienced with this setup so it’s probably something very obvious that I’ve just overlooked like an idiot.

I’ll keep playing, but let me know how you get on with adding that key.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:25 pm #39799
RossGrant

It was me being stupid.

This was a brand new install and I just hadn’t set any ‘Basic Download Restrictions’ in the backend that’s all.

I too do not get a custom image though, even though one is set above.

Is that now a premium feature of JW Player Jason, or should it be working with the basic free version?

:)

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:53 pm #39802
Echomango

I am far from experienced with this sort of thing but am not afraid to offer feedback…no matter how dumb it may make me look. ;>) Sometimes just an exchange can help to jostle things up and see a new perspective.

Thanks for the info on the download key. I got it mixed up with the jwplayer.key newb at work. The download key had no effect on my situation.

Glad you got it working! Sounds like there is a glitch in the player_image shortcode if we are both having difficulties with it. At this point I don’t want to give up Philly’s shortcodes until there is a way to do playlists. For me that is essential. But I sure would like an easy way to satisfy the phone and ipad crowd.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:18 pm #39808
RossGrant

Yeah something isn’t right with the images by the looks of things. Not sure if we have to host these on S3 either perhaps with S2’s own shortcodes?

I’m sure Jason can pitch in with why you’re not seeing anything for logged out users.

I too will need that functionality to show preview videos when I take my other installs away from Philly’s plugin and onto these s2 shortcodes.

Would be great to be able to show videos to non-logged in members and get these images working.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:54 pm #39810
Echomango

Hi Ross – What I have found works for a video that all can see is to use the jwplayer 6 embed codes that are on their site. Use those with a local video and it can be viewed by anyone anytime. The embed codes are a bit clunky but they work just fine and the preview image works.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 6:32 pm #39814
RossGrant

Cheers Echo!

With Philly’s codes enabling non logged in members access, I’m sure S2 should be able to this this somehow too.

Bizarrely the videos I now have working DON’T play on my ipad even though the media files are EXACTLY the same ones that did play in JW Player 5.

Is there part of the shortcode I need to implement for iPhone/ ipad?

These exact files played fine in JW 5 with Philly’s plugin?

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 7:13 pm #39816
RossGrant

The iPad issue is an encoding issue not the shortcodes.

I would recommend people use Handbrake to encode videos for JW6, use the iPhone setting and check boxes for web and iPod 5g support.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 9:36 pm #39825
RossGrant

Echo, just to let you know, adding download_key=”true” into the shortcode does make my media available to people who aren’t logged in.

Give it another try.

One thing that I have noticed though, is when playing mp3’s on iPad, even setting the player height to 24 as was done in Philly’s shortcode plugin, so that only the control bar shows, the height of the player is about 150px high.

Only happens on iPad or iPhone, the 24px setting is adhered to in all desktop browsers from what I can see.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 10:03 pm #39826
Echomango

Hi Ross – When I add the download=”true” the file can be played by anyone as long as S2 is not restricting access. When I remove the access restriction the file can be seen be anyone whether download=”true” is in there or not. But if S2 is restricting access I can’t even get to the file when I am logged out in order to see if it might play. Is this your experience? Am I missing something?

As for the ipad and android/iphone formatting I have seen that JW6 does resize for those formats but I have also noticed that it is not always consistent. Sometimes the file will start too large and then resize after a while. It usually ends up about the right size eventually.

Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 10:11 pm #39827
RossGrant

My experience of the download key function is to enable LOGGED OUT users to view media.

So if I don’t include it, even if a media item is not restricted by any S2 conditional, then the media will NOT show for logged out users.

It will show for logged in users without using the download key function.

But for me, who needs to show previews of videos to users who are not yet signed up or logged in, I need to add that download_key=”true” statement for them to be able to see and play that media.

The iPad height issue is pretty annoying. I just want it to show at 24px high as JW5 did, it seems to insist on it’s height, regardless when using mp3 on iPad.

I’ll start a thread over on the Longtail forums and keep you posted.

Thanks again :)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.