latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Level Access Configuration Question

Home Forums Community Forum Level Access Configuration Question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:40 am #29804

OK I have read through this multiple times and it just isn’t clicking …

How do I configure my S2Member to function this way?

Membership Levels provide incremental access:

* A Member with Level 4 access, will also be able to access Levels 0, 1, 2 & 3.
* A Member with Level 3 access, will also be able to access Levels 0, 1 & 2.
* A Member with Level 2 access, will also be able to access Levels 0 & 1.
* A Member with Level 1 access, will also be able to access Level 0.
* A Subscriber with Level 0 access, will ONLY be able to access Level 0.
* A public Visitor will have NO access to protected content.

* WordPress® Subscribers are at Membership Level 0. If you’re allowing Open Registration, Subscribers will be at Level 0 ( a Free Subscriber ). WordPress® Administrators, Editors, Authors, and Contributors have Level 4 access, with respect to s2Member. All of their other Roles/Capabilities are left untouched.

in the current configuration when things are set for say “level 2” those things can only be seen by people on level 2 – I would like the folks that are on the higher levels to be able to see this as well.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:45 am #29805
cassel
Username: cassel

in the current configuration when things are set for say “level 2″ those things can only be seen by people on level 2 – I would like the folks that are on the higher levels to be able to see this as well.

By default, what is set for level 2 will be visible to level 3 and level 4 members, but will also be able to access level 1 and level 0 content. Is that what you are looking for?

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:50 am #29806

I want it to be configured just like the example that I posted … Level of membership and above.

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:08 pm #29810
cassel

Then, the way to do it would be to use ccaps (custom capabilities) which are more flexible than using the Levels, although you can call the ccaps “level” if you want to. You can go this way:

You can assign ccaps (like permissions) to the members, whether it would be called “Lvl1”, “Lvl2”, “Lvl3”, “Lvl4”, then, when you get to protect (or grant access to) some content, you can use the simple shortcode conditionals like this:

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_Lvl2) OR current_user_can(access_s2member_Lvl3) OR current_user_can(access_s2member_Lvl4)]
Display the content you want accessible to level 2 and up
[/s2If]

That means that the content will not be visible for lower levels.

Would that scenario work for you?

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:10 pm #29813

Would I have to assign it to each new member as they sign up – or can it be configured in the code somewhere?

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:14 pm #29814

This information was taken from the S2Member set up …

* WordPress® Subscribers are at Membership Level 0. If you’re allowing Open Registration, Subscribers will be at Level 0 ( a Free Subscriber ). WordPress® Administrators, Editors, Authors, and Contributors have Level 4 access, with respect to s2Member. All of their other Roles/Capabilities are left untouched.

That is the way I would like for if to be configured …

Look under … S2Member > API / Scripting > Simple / Shortcode Conditionals

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:28 pm #29818
cassel

Would I have to assign it to each new member as they sign up – or can it be configured in the code somewhere?

Yes, you would have it assigned at the time they purchase or register and that would be while creating the Paypal button (or pro-form). By default, Levels 1 and up are paid levels. There is a way to get around this but that would require a tech support to explain it as i never used it.

If you want to use the levels in this manner, that is the default setting so you dont have anything to do except protect each page or post or content with the levels and assign those levels to the members. I probably misunderstood that you wanted it like that except that you didn’t want them to access level 1 for example.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  cassel.
Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:15 pm #29832

I thought that was the default – but my page is not performing in that manner and when I tested the Sign Up and registered for the site as a level 4 customer it put me at level 0.

I obviously have some thing set wrong (imagine that). I am going to have to take a deeper look at things.

Thank you very much for your help.

I guess I’ll get the hang us this soon.

Check out my site at http://www.CncWoodworkerMagazine.com – honest critiques are appreciated.

Posted: Friday Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:24 pm #29835
cassel

It might be your sign up process that needs adjusting. How did you sign up at level 4? If you just register without any payment, that is the free registration which is automatically set to level 0. If you want to test the levels, you can go in the dashboard and on the user profile, change the role to s2Member level 4 and see. However, make sure you dont do it with your admin account or you will lock yourself out of the dashboard!

Create a couple of users or ask friends to register and PAY to “purchase access” to levels 2, 3, 4. Generate a paypal button for them. Make the transaction $1 if you dont want to break the bank. That will let you create members that will be assigned the correct levels so you can test. Or create one test member at level 2 and change the level in the dashboard for the same user while checking what that user can see.

See if that works.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.