latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Limited access to custom post types – Headway

Home Forums Community Forum Limited access to custom post types – Headway

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Feb 23rd, 2013 at 1:21 pm #43051
Guy B
Username: gecko_guy

So, before I buy the premium version:

My understanding is that in order to create limited access to custom post types, without routing through or to a payment gateway/page, it is necessary to purchase the premium version.

Fine, no problem with that.

The site I am interested in utilising s2 on is not an eCommerce site. What I am looking for is a way to easily grant access to a level of registered user so they can view restricted content (being weave pattern designs that must be kept secret from the competition).

So the “gateway” page shows a thumbnail grid composed of the various post’s featured images of the various designs. i.e. Custom post type = Designs. Design posts are a, b, c etc. Posts a, b, c each contain a gallery of images.

The public may view the thumbnails (featured images), but they may not view the actual designs for the single posts which each contain a gallery of hi-def images.

The posts (categories a,b,c..) themselves consist only of images, and it is these that may only be viewed by registered users, and also for the actual pattern makers to be able to access the backend to upload new designs.

The featured images (in the grid display) have titles, and both the titles and the thumbnails are links to the actual posts (galleries), but when clicked by the public should do nothing, or highlight the login box.

However, for a logged-in user the link should take them to the relevant post/gallery.

I am using the Headway theme. The free version doesn’t seem to cause any conflicts at this point.

My questions before I purchase:

Can I use s2 to restrict access to the singular posts (galleries)?

Can I do it in such a way that the login form on the thumbnail page of posts refreshes using Ajax (no redirection to a signin page)?

Can I restrict the users who are allowed to upload new designs from accessing other parts of the admin backend?

Can I have registered viewers and registered uploaders?

There we go.

No payments, just restricted content for members only.

Some can view only, and some can upload new.

Headway (child) theme (this means limitations in templating and PHP).

Ajax login through a widget.. (very important, don’t want them being redirected to another login page).

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Feb 24th, 2013 at 9:34 am #43101
Guy B

Ok, I have solved my problem. No further reply required at this time

Posted: Sunday Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:40 am #43105
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Glad you solved your problem Guy B (cool name). :)

Would you mind telling us your solution?

Posted: Sunday Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:51 am #43109
Guy B

Hi Eduan,

Sure thing. At this time all I wanted was a way of stopping non-members from accessing the content, so I set up s2 according to the minimum requirements.

Then I blocked all users below level 2 from accessing the private content in the s2 admin.

Next I set the same page that contains the thumbnails (links) to the protected content as a registration page before drawing a widget block and inserting the login with Ajax widget into it.

The nice thing about Headway is that you can easily filter content from different posts all on one page.

Now if anyone clicks a link on the page to try and access the protected content, nothing happens (or rather the page just scrolls to the top if not already there).

To access the content they must sign in, and using the login with ajax widget means the content becomes accessible without reloading the whole page again.

Posted: Sunday Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:16 pm #43119
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. :)

This will probably come in useful in the future. :)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.