latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Linking to Login Welcome Page from Nav Bar

Home Forums Community Forum Linking to Login Welcome Page from Nav Bar

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Richard Clark 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Sep 28th, 2012 at 2:29 pm #26878

At the moment, I only have one page for each user to land on. The url is

http:///%%current_user_login%%

I can’t figure out how to link back to that page using the standard Nav bar. The link above gives me a 400 Bad Request error.

I want the user to be able to click a “portal” link in the nav bar and be taken back to their landing page. How can I best accomplish this?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 1:38 am #26910

In WordPress set up your navbar through Custom Links in the menu portion of your theme. “Appearance” –>>”Menus”

Create a menu –>>Save Menu–>>Custom Links–>>URL to your landing page (open to the public presumably)–>>Fill in your Label (i.e.Member Login)–>>Add to Menu (the one you just created)–>>Go to Pages in the left sidebar below Custom Links and add what other pages you wish to have in the NavBar ensuring they are available to the public. Make sure you “Save Menu” again to ensure it works.

It might look like this–>>http://createaniche.net/

If your landing page is open to the public you would have a Paypal button for subscribers yet you still offer an easy Member Login link too.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 3:20 pm #26963

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself well. Feel free to take a look at our site: http://www.greygeckopress.com

When one of our users logs in, the page they see (their landing page) is private to them, and it’s the only secure page on the site (for them). We call this page a “portal” page. The rest of our site is open to the public. The only time any user will log in will be when they want to see their portal page. Each user will only see their “portal” page and the remainder of the site. They cannot access other user’s portal pages.

What I’m trying to accomplish is to provide a link in the nav bar that says (for example) “Portal”, that will direct the user back to their own secure portal page. This way, users can browse the rest of the site, then click the link at the top to go back to their portal page.

How can I accomplish this?

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 9:52 pm #26993

Sorry I got it wrong, I believe this one is for the staff. Hopefully, Eduan can take a look and provide his expert take.

Sorry,

Don Albright

Posted: Sunday Sep 30th, 2012 at 7:55 am #27010
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Jason,

If the page you want in the nav bar is protected, you can just hide it with alternative restrictions: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection

Just be sure to check the Nav bar menu option.

In order to maintain it for him only you would need to do some custom coding that checks if the current user can have access to this user’s page. Or, if you do the content always the same for everybody, then it doesn’t really matter, cause they won’t be able to enter other user’s pages anyway.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Sep 30th, 2012 at 11:11 am #27015

I appreciate the effort, but I’m not a coder, so I don’t know how to implement that solution. Each landing page has different information (sales info) for each user, so I can’t use the same page for everyone, which I guess means I can’t do the link.

Thanks for trying.

Posted: Sunday Sep 30th, 2012 at 12:03 pm #27018
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Jason,

Well if the sale info is stored somewhere, all you have to do is always get it from the same place, with the variation of the username. If the sales info you say is in WordPress then this certainly is possible.

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Jan 18th, 2013 at 2:58 pm #38154

I have a similar question but perhaps not as unique as Jason’s. My customer logs in and they get their landing page or ‘Welcome Member’ page. If they navigate off this page, for example to someplace on the public side of the website, they have no way to get back to their landing page.

In my case, I have all a separate landing page for each member level. What I would like to do is simply have a menu option (hidden unless logged in) that behaves like a members home page. So when they click it, it takes them back to when they first logged in.

I think this is what Jason was talking about and if not, my apologies but it is what I need.

Thanks,

Richard

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.