latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Login issues on my site…

Home Forums Community Forum Login issues on my site…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Aug 16th, 2013 at 10:02 am #56029
Jim Reamer
Username: jwrbloom

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 12:15 am #56210
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sorry for the delay over the weekend.

Why isn’t Home Page an option in the s2Member > General Options > Login Welcome Page?
It seems simple enough.

The Login Welcome Page serves as a sort of “My Account” page. It is not meant to be the home page. However if you’d like to set the Login Welcome Page to your Home Page, you can do that by putting just 1 “/” in the text field underneath the dropdown in this section:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Login Welcome Page

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 10:07 am #56259
Jim Reamer

I tried that, and it still takes me to the Dashboard when I login from the main WP login page.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:11 pm #56285
@Bruce
@jwrbloom

The Login Welcome Page cannot be the home page of the site, because the Login Welcome Page is, by definition, going to be protected from public access. s2Member® ignores your configuration if you choose the home page as your login welcome page.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:42 pm #56290
Jim Reamer

Mike, then why is there is a Special Redirection option? That tells me it gives the Admin the option of sending Users anywhere, and I’d like that to be the home page.

I want it to work like the Widget works.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:46 pm #56294
@jwrbloom

Mike, then why is there is a Special Redirection option? That tells me it gives the Admin the option of sending Users anywhere, and I’d like that to be the home page.

I want it to work like the Widget works.

This configuration option in s2Member® is a bit different from a simple redirection alone. While it does control the redirection upon login, it also designates a particular page on your site as being “THE” page where people access their account with you; and this page must not be visible to the public (e.g. s2Member auto-protects your Login Welcome Page). For this reason, the home page cannot be used. Anything else you like is fine, but the home page is never protected by s2Member® because it can cause much confusion and potentially make your site completely inaccessible by anyone.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:51 pm #56297
Jim Reamer

Then what is the Special Redirection URL for?

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:55 pm #56299
@jwrbloom

Then what is the Special Redirection URL for?

This allows you to setup any URL you like (other than the home page). So for instance if you were running BuddyPress, you can create a dynamic URL using Replacement Codes provided by s2Member®; or if you have another URL on the site that is not necessarily a Post or a Page in WordPress® you can configure s2Member® to use that :-) Pretty much anything but the home page.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 20th, 2013 at 7:16 pm #56302
Jim Reamer

GIVE ME THE HOME PAGE!!! :-)

The problem I’m having, at least from my own personal experience using my own site, when I go to log out I use the standard WP link in the upper right hand corner. I log out so I can log back into my test accounts. For all I know, my Users aren’t having this issue. No one has complained, but I like to be proactive.

Posted: Wednesday Aug 21st, 2013 at 7:47 am #56339
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

It sounds like the issue you’re having is not that normal Users are not getting redirected, based on what you said here:

@jwrbloom

For all I know, my Users aren’t having this issue. No one has complained, but I like to be proactive.

s2Member will not redirect Users that should have access to the Dashboard (e.g. Administrators, Editors, etc.), because it does not want to interfere with these Users’ flow normally. As in, normally an Administrator would want to go to the Dashboard when they logged in. This is something that is not possible to change in the Dashboard. I’ve never heard of any Users wanting this to be possible.

That being said, we’ll take this as feedback.

If you really want to always be redirected, regardless of your privileges (including when you log in as an Administrator) you can do that using the information here:

Knowledge Base » Hacking s2Member® Via Hooks/Filters

There is a hook in this file that makes it possible to change when s2Member redirects a User based on Capabilities called ws_plugin__s2member_login_redirect:

/s2member/includes/classes/login-redirects.inc.php
To enable the login redirection for ALL Users (regardless of their level), you would put this in an s2hacks.php file in your mu-plugins directory you might need to create, as described in the Knowledge Base Article I mentioned before:

<?php
add_filter('ws_plugin__s2member_login_redirect', '__return_true');

Just one note about using the Homepage as the Login Welcome Page, s2Member allows this to be possible using the method that I provided in my first reply (I confirmed with Jason, the lead developer). However, this is advised against, because if you do this s2Member will not protect your home page. This is the only time that s2Member does not protect the Login Welcome Page. The only way to protect the home page with s2Member® is to use a URI restriction that protects the entire site (e.g. /).

Just something to be aware of, since this is something that you’re doing. :-)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.