latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Membership gift certificates (credits) ?

Home Forums Community Forum Membership gift certificates (credits) ?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Angie Gonzalez 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 4th, 2012 at 10:28 am #18298

Greetings,

I am brand-new to s2memberPro and am building my first WordPress site to boot. I’d like to offer a way that someone can buy a membership gift certificate (credit coupon code) for someone else to use to become a member on our site.

We don’t want to use the PayPal Gift Certificates. We need the revenue to go to us at the time of certificate purchase (not PayPal).

If this is possible, we will also need to explore selling a higher-level membership which would include a pre-set package of lower-level membership gift certificates (credits/coupons) as part of the higher-level membership benefit, with which that higher-level member could allocate those credits to whomever they wish.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Charles P..

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jul 5th, 2012 at 4:05 am #18357
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Charles,

s2Member Pro offers the Pro-Coupon feature (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Pro Coupon Codes), which allows you to create coupon codes that apply a discount to a membership upon checkout. However, those coupons require a minimum purchase of $0.01 — they cannot be used to create “free” memberships.

If you want to offer a voucher code that provides access to a free membership, you can do so with a little custom work. What you’d do is create a page where you display a free registration form (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms). Then, you add some PHP code to that page that looks for the presence of a pre-defined voucher code.

Please see this KB article for more information on this: Knowledge Base » Offering a Free Coupon Code (100% Discount)

It sounds like you want to generate multiple voucher codes that other members can give out, as well as package those voucher codes into a membership package. This would require maintaining a database of voucher codes and marking when they’ve been used.

While s2Member doesn’t have this feature, the tools for creating such an extension to the plugin are there and we make all the plugin source code available. If this is a crucial feature, you may want to hire a programmer to add it in for you. We recommend jobs.wordpress.net.

Posted: Thursday Jul 5th, 2012 at 8:43 am #18377

Raam,

Thank you for the very prompt and comprehensive answers too my inquiry. While I have your attention, do you mind if I add an unrelated question?

Is there an easy way to generate a printable “Member Certificate” or “Membership Card” image for our members which would use a pre-formatted certificate or card template with the member’s name automatically inserted into the image?

Thank you Raam.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Charles P..
Posted: Friday Jul 6th, 2012 at 7:10 am #18457

Hi Charles.

I don’t know of a plugin that does this, but it’s not impossible to do with PHP.

You’d need to have someone code a script that puts the user’s name in the certificate image and show that in the page. Your template image won’t be altered, just used as a template to add the name where you want it creating a new image, which is what gets shown to the user to print.

If you don’t have a developer, you can try getting a freelancer to do this for you from sites like eLance or oDesk.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Jul 6th, 2012 at 9:55 am #18483

Thank you Cristián.

Posted: Saturday Jul 7th, 2012 at 3:57 am #18524

No problem. :)

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 10:39 am #19644

I coded something like this on my site.., cirumventing any payment system from s2member.

What I’ve already done:

1) Customers register for Free
2) In the welcome page, I’ve put a “activate coupon” link, which takes customer to a custom form.
3) In the customer form they enter a coupon code and the appropiate level is set. I then modify the current user object and that updates s2member database.
Backend) I maintan a dabatabe with coupon expiration date, membership details, who has used it, who distributed it.. etc.
Benefit) This has helped me a lot for link building, as other blog writer can offer them to their readers.

I’m planning in adding the ability for customers buying gifts, so what I’m planning to do next is:

1) I will make customers buy a membership with a custom capability (say gifts).
2) With said capability, they’ll access a page were they can generate a coupon code once, and even email it.
the catch) I’ll need to make a new contact form for this with its corresponding php code, and also tweak my coupon database for it (e.g. a customer can only send 1 coupon).

Anyway… I’m happy to share the code and database structure for what I have today (free coupons), the code has average commenting to guide you… but I’m a beginner WordPress developer and in no way this has a UI for admins or is packaged as a plugin.. I maintain the code directly…

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 10:29 pm #19705
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Angie,

Thank you for offering to share the code! You may want to share it over in the Unofficial Extensions/Hacks forum.

~Awarded Angie Gonzalez the Helpful, Experienced, and Advanced badges.
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:22 pm #19719

I think the badges really over inflate my skills :)

This is the first time I contribute code or something, so please feel free to correct/advise/etc… This is hopefully the start of many more contributions…

You can check out how I did this here:

http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/gift-coupon-codes-for-s2member/

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.