latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

membership levels exclusive?

Home Forums Community Forum membership levels exclusive?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Mar 10th, 2012 at 7:57 pm #7849
fender strat
Username: 57strat

Just wondering if I can make the membership levels exclusive… in other words, in the plugin… setting restriction options is says “Pages That Require Level #1 Or Higher:”, “Pages That Require Level #1 Or Higher:” , “Pages That Require Level #1 Or Higher:” etc etc… I don’t want higher levels to be able to view any level below it… the content is geared toward it’s specific level ONLY, so… level 1 gets access to “member 1 page content”, level 2 gets acces to “member 2 page content” **but cannot get access to level 1 content even though the level is higher… so level 4 member who is the highest level can only get access to level 4 content NO ACCESS TO LEVEL 3,2 & 1… so each member level ONLY gets access to that specific content… this possible? It looks like it allows higher level members access to lower level content… please advise…

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Mar 12th, 2012 at 6:31 am #7883
cassel
Username: cassel

The levels are all built on top of each other so what you want will not be achieved with levels, but you can use the Custom Capabilities (ccaps) for that. Instead of numbers, you give them “names”. I have used that effectively on my site where i have two separate courses: one can purchase one course, or the other or both. If they buy the course named “basic”, i give them the cccaps “basic” and i restrict the content they can view to those identified as “basic” (it is entered just below the level number when you want to restrict by level).

Just like for levels, where you would indicate what level you would want a page to be seen, you can assign ccaps per page, but it will then be exclusive to those users who have the specific ccaps.

Check the video here:
http://www.s2member.com/videos/A2C07377CF60025E/?tw_p=twt
It explains it all. You will see that s2Member will do what you are hoping for.

Posted: Monday Mar 12th, 2012 at 8:38 am #7892
fender strat

Hi there and thank you for your reply! Very much appreciated… I had a look and I may not grasp it quite yet… it seems to be tied in with payment / Paypal button gen etc… what I need specifically is as follows:

All of the members are free… what I need to use this for is for my clients ( customers ) … I don’t sell online, or sell memberships at all… it’s for my business customers to check on their current price discounts, related pdf downloads etc… so if a customer buys “x” amount of dollars worth of product from me ( brick and mortar business ) they get a discount of say 10%, so I would put them in a membership level that will display the discount, any information that is relevant to them etc… if a customer buys more product from me and the volume is over “x” amount, I would then move them to the next level so that when they log in, they will see information like the percentage of discount they get, pdf downloads etc… so all of the members are free… they just get different info based on how much volume they buy from me… so customer a logs in, they will see any info I want them to see based on how much they buy from me etc etc… hope this makes sense..

Posted: Monday Mar 12th, 2012 at 10:34 am #7894
cassel
Username: cassel

I never used it with level 0 (free membership) and ccaps. The payment method (level 1 and up) would associate the ccaps automatically, but if you are changing them manually, i suspect you can still do the same.

When you open the page for a specific user, at the bottom, you have “s2Member Configuration & Profile Fields” and in there, you have “Custom Capabilities” field where you CAN manually enter whatever ccap you want. So if you have a user who is allowed to view the content for “level50” (imagining that is what you call the level where they have reached a total sale amount of say $50), you can assign this ccap to that user, and then, restrict the access to the content with that name.

So you could have John, who is assigned ccap of level50, and Tom is assigned ccap of level100, and Jane is assigned ccap of level200.

After that, you can have one or several pages restricted to level50, (which ony John can view), then more pages restricted to level100 (which Tom can view), and more pages restricted to level200 (for Jane).

So when John makes more purchases, and reaches the amount needed for your level100, you manually change the ccap in his permission to level100, and therefore he will automatically be able to view the pages for level100, and no longer be able to view the level50 he was seeing before.

The ccaps are yours to name. You can use ANYTHING you want (i am not sure if some special characters should be avoided because of coding, but i am sure a tech guy will be able to clarify that.

Am i making it clearer or more complicated?

Posted: Tuesday Mar 13th, 2012 at 5:47 am #7960

Thanks cassel!

Hi Fender.

She’s right, you can use ccaps.
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Custom Capabilities[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Custom Capability & Member Level Files[/hilite]

This video can help understand them:

If you still prefer to use levels, you could do it using conditionals in posts, but you wouldn’t have a way to protect downloads from users with a higher level.
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals -> Example #3[/hilite]

I hope that helps!

Posted: Tuesday Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:55 am #8005
fender strat

Damn you guys are very helpful! Many thanks!… I’ll have another attempt to see if i can get it working… thanks again!

Posted: Tuesday Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:45 pm #8074

:)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.