latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Metered/"freemium" model possible?

Home Forums Community Forum Metered/"freemium" model possible?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:02 pm #10377
Tyler Smith
Username: covnews

Hi,

Is a metered model/freemium system for s2Member possible? Could we, for example, allow free subscribers the ability to a view specified amount of premium-level content before the system then forces these users to choose a subscription?

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:00 pm #10390
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Tyler,

You could certainly use the s2Member Simple/Shortcode Conditionals (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals) to achieve this by checking if the user has access to a specific level and then only displaying the appropriate content.

For example, the first few paragraphs of content could be wrapped in an s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_level0) and the rest of the content (i.e., premium content) could be wrapped in an s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_level1). Since membership levels are cumulative, those with Level 1 access will see the free content in addition to the premium content.

If you want to integrate timing into all this, you could use the Content Dripping features (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Content Dripping) to do something elaborate like show some free content for the first 30 days of membership and then start displaying a payment button that asks them to subscribe to see the full content. There are many possibilities.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:36 am #10454
Tyler Smith
Username: covnews

Hi Raam,

Thank you for such a quick reply. I think I phrased my question incorrectly, however. The metered system we are thinking about would allow readers the ability to a fully view a specified number of premium articles before the system then forces these users to choose a subscription plan. Is this possible? Perhaps with the content dripping feature?

Thank you!

Posted: Tuesday Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:02 pm #10492
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Tyler,

Yes, you can do that with the content dripping functionality.

You would simply provide the full content to free users who have been registered for less than 30 days (e.g., S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_REGISTRATION_DAYS < 30[/hilite]) and then after 30 days show them a subscription button. You can use nested conditionals to create more elaborate schemes where you show the full content to free users who have been registered for less than 30 days and then start showing a payment button to them after that. With a nested conditional you can always show full content to users who belong to a specific Level (i.e., paid users). Please see the following sections for more information and examples: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Content Dripping[/hilite] [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› PHP/API Constants[/hilite]

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.