latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Missing Username/Password Email

Home Forums Community Forum Missing Username/Password Email

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Feb 16th, 2012 at 4:16 am #5340

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Feb 16th, 2012 at 11:20 pm #5430
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Angela,

Could this problem be related to the problem you were having in another thread with Chinese characters in usernames (which is not currently supported by WordPress)? Have you tested with a non-Chinese character username?

Regarding missing emails being sent out from your site: Have you installed the EMail Log plugin to confirm that the emails are actually being sent?

If they are being sent, please install and configure the WP Mail SMTP plugin with the SMTP server details for the “From” address that you’re using. It’s possible that emails sent by the server mailer are being caught in spam filters (or being rejected altogether by some mail servers).

And finally, regarding the new forum reply emails, I recommend checking your spam folder. I’m receiving new forum reply notifications, so that feature is working.

Posted: Friday Feb 17th, 2012 at 1:37 am #5454
Angela Zou
Username: angelaz

Raam, when I say I can receive the payment confirmation (and the notification API as well) emails, I mean I can receive them in Chinese. I don’t really think it’s the Chinese though, because I just tested it again, with all the Chinese removed from the title and email body.

Posted: Monday Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:39 pm #5723
Staff Member

Hi there. I’ve just read over this thread.

“Register For This Site” rather than something like registration successful.

With AliPay, registration of a Username/Password occurs after the purchase. So this message would be expected. One the customer completes checkout, they’ll choose a Username and register for paid access. They should also get an email from your installation of s2Member.

I mean I can receive them in Chinese. I don’t really think it’s the Chinese though, because I just tested it again, with all the Chinese removed from the title and email body.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand exactly. So you are getting the emails? It sounds to me like there could be a mixture of things going on here. I’d start by investigating your server error logs for anything related to email or string parsing. With Chinese characters in the mix, some servers might need tweaks to make this jive with the installed MTA. It sounds like you’re seeing sporadic behavior (some work, some don’t), so looking at the error logs on the server would be the next step that I’d take (i.e. try to make sense of what’s actually the underlying cause).

Some ideas that come to mind…
1. The PHP Mailer class that WordPress depends on is choking on special chars in the “From” name?
2. The PHP Mailer class that WordPress depends on in choking on special chars in the “To” name?
3. There are other plugins installed that are causing PHP errors in your PHP or Apache error logs?

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:33 am #6402
Angela Zou

Sorry about the late reply. I think I should clear things up a little. The ONLY emails that I (and everyone else) can\’t receive is the username/password email. I can receive the purchase confirmation email (specific page/post or membership purchase) and the notification email for debugging Notification API (despite having Chinese characters in there).

I really don\’t understand. I installed the plugins suggested, but there was NOT a single trace of the email. I think the problem occurred before the email is triggered. I really really need help on this. The site is officially going live in less than 2 weeks, and how will I keep my users if they can\’t even receive sign up emails! Please help. I\’d pay for this if necessary, but I really need to get this going!!!

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:29 pm #6436

Angela, what is your setting for the New User email? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Email Configuration[/hilite]

Posted: Sunday Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:21 pm #6492
Angela Zou

Here is a screenshot of my email configuration on the General Options page (see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/74373680@N04/6787727040/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 3:27 pm #6523

Thanks.

What happens if you use the WP default for the New User email? Does it get to the user or do you have the same problem?

If you go back to using the custom email, after trying the WP default, does it then work?

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:05 pm #6617
Angela Zou

I just tried that WP default with no chinese. I only got the form submission email (not even the admin notification email about a new user). So what should I test next?

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:51 pm #6632

OK, then it’s not s2Member’s handling of that what’s failiing, since the WP default fails too.

Have you already tried deactivating other plugins? There may be one affecting the New User email part of WordPress.

For a quick test to find if that’s the source of the problem, deactivate them all and register a new account, see if the email gets sent. Then re-activate them one by one, registering a new account after each, and see if you get the emails, until you get the problem back and will know what plugin you activated last. You could register the accounts using names that describe the last plugin you activated, so you know when you get the email, which ones worked.

You can create a copy of the website to test this, if you don’t want to do it in the copy you have, but either way I suggest you create a backup first, just in case.

I hope that helps.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:22 pm #6701
Angela Zou

I’m not sure why, but it seems like one of my recent plugin is causing the problem (even though the problem started a couple of months ago). Anyway, got it to work for now. Thanks for all your helpful inputs.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:42 am #6734

Thanks for the update! Very glad you sorted it out. :)

What plugin was it?

Posted: Thursday Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:57 am #7611
Angela Zou

I thought I had the problem solved.

I’ve removed the Sinoshare plugin I mentioned (that seems faulty), but all of my users are still complaining of this problem. I tested it again today, and it came back.

I don’t know what to do now. I will disable more plugins, but I’m not optimistic. In addition, I can’t see my S2member badge.

Posted: Thursday Mar 8th, 2012 at 7:16 am #7614
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Angela,

Does the EMail Log plugin show the New User email being sent by WordPress? If not, can you please enable logging (WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Details -> Enable Logging Routines?), conduct another test, and then share any relevant log entires related to the transaction(s) in question? Please x-out any private information before posting the logs here (e.g., email addresses).

Also, can you verify that you’re running the latest versions of WordPress and s2Member?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Raam Dev.
Posted: Friday Mar 9th, 2012 at 2:40 am #7693
Angela Zou

I currently have 2 types of registration:
– Open registration for personal users. They will use the WordPress default method to register. Emails are successfully received.
– Pro API to create trial users for premium levels. These emails are not received (or send I believe), and are not seen on the email logs.

I have no problem receiving other types of emails from this WordPress installation (like notification emails from other plugins, testing email from WP Mail SMTP, as well as logging emails from S2member itself).
I’m not sure if providing the S2member logs will be of any help since there is no transaction.

Posted: Friday Mar 9th, 2012 at 3:41 pm #7745
Raam Dev
Staff Member

In that case I would suspect a conflicting plugin. Have you tried disabling all other plugins?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.