latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Modification (upgrade) Of Level on S2Member

Home Forums Community Forum Modification (upgrade) Of Level on S2Member

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:26 pm #20215
Allan
Username: optionsweekly

Hi all,

The situation is as such. I have 3 different levels.

lvl 0 – free.
lvl 1 – $300 every 6 months.
lvl 2 – $699 initial (with product) for 6 months, followed by $300 every 6 months. (after 6 months its essentially same as lvl 1)

Modification from lvl 0 to lvl 1 or lvl 2, I have no issues, very simple.

Modification from lvl 1 to lvl 2, I am having a technical challenge, wondering if some one can help.
I know that I can just setup a $399 payment button and let the member pay just for the product and the subscription will not be interupted. But being a statistics and control freak, I would like to see that member being promoted to lvl 2, so that I know he has purchases the product before, (and I will not bombard him with autoresponders meant for lvl 1 members to buy the product again).

So my question is, how can I do it in such a way that the promotion of this member from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is automated, and yet his initial subcription is left un-interupted.

Any help will be fully appreciated.

Allan

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Allan.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:46 am #20281

Hi Allan.

That’s a good question.

So you want the person to have both: Level 1 and Level 2? That’s not possible with the current s2Member. s2Member Levels are WP roles, and a user can only have one WP role. And if you want the levels to be separate subscriptions, that’s not possible either, because s2Member doesn’t do multiple subscriptions for the same user yet.

Now, if you move the user from one subscription to the next, that’s fine. In order to track the previous subscription, maybe you could add a custom capability that’ll let you identify him. Or maybe, those who upgrade from Lvl 1 instead of Lvl 0, could be sold Lvl 3 instead of Lvl 2.

Does that help?

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:59 am #20283
Allan

Hi Cristian,
No i do not need the member to be both lvl1 and lvl 2. Instead i want the member to be promoted from lvl1 to lvl2 from the additional payment of $399.. without the hassle of interupting his existing subscription..

So i know that i can create a specific post payment button and let him pay $399, then manually promote him by going intto his user profile.

But i just thought if its possible to have that function in s2member automated.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Allan.
Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:34 am #20290

Oh, but I didn’t mean that you do it manually.

Got it on not needing both levels together.

I think that you could have a new level for upgrades, as I explained before. So new users or Level 0 users can upgrade to Level 1 or Level 2, that’s fine; but Level 1 users would upgrade to Level 3, which would basically have the same access as Level 2, but you can tell them apart from those that went straight to Level 2 instead of getting Level 1 first.

You’d just have another button that’s only shown to Level 1 users, which would sell them Level 3; practically the same shortcode as the Level 2 one, but it’d give Level 3 instead.

Does that help?

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 3:47 am #20294
Allan

Hi Cristian,
I am ok with the idea of lvl3, but my issue is..

If member A just paid $300 for six months of service today, and decides to upgrade next week.. How can I make him pay $399 and promote him to become lvl 3 and yet let his existing subscription with Paypal continues?

I think that is my main technical part which I cannot figure out.

Thanks

Posted: Thursday Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:58 am #20304

Ah, so basically you want to update his existing subscription? Is that it?

s2Member can’t edit the subscription, if you sell him an upgrade subscription, then the previous one will be terminated and the new one started.

Then, when showing the user the order button to upgrade, you need to figure out the time left, and credit him what he has left deducing it from the initial term. Don’t do this adjustment with the regular term because that’s the amount that’ll recur.

You can adjust the shortode attribute values using some PHP in your post/page. http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1604

Does that help understand it better?

Posted: Friday Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:35 pm #20439
Allan

Cristian,

No, its actually the opposite of what I want. what I want is more like I leave his initial subcription untouched…

I have lvl 1 which is $300 for 6 months of private access to website, with a recurring of $300 every 6 months.

I have lvl 2 which is $699 for 6 months of private access to website, with a recurring of $300 every 6 months. But this one comes with an extra downloadable product.

What I would like is:

Scenario – Member A starts lvl 1 on 1st August 2012. and on 10 Sept 2012, decides that he wants the product. I want to create a Paypal (Proform, whichever) Button him to pay $399 one time fee, and allows him to be automatically promoted to lvl 2 upon payment, without affecting his current subscription.

HOw can I be able to do that?

Thanks.

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:03 am #20500

I see, then you want two concurrent subscriptions for the same user account. I’m afraid this is not possible with s2Member yet, it will when the new one we’re developing is released, though.

With the current s2Member, you’d need the user to register a second account for the additional subscription. Or hack the code quite a bit to know how to deal with a subscription, which may be challenging.

Another option would be to have the second one not be a user level subscription, but separate one-time payments that the user has to be reminded to make each time in order to extend the time of a custom capability based access. This, though, may result in less retention rates, and you’d still need to hack the code a bit to know how to deal with separate EOT events instead of a single one.

And, yet another option would be to have the second subscription be sold without an s2Member integration. This would require you to manage the access manually: upgrade his s2Member Level when he paid, and remove it if he didn’t pay.

The latter may be the option I’d choose in this situation, and wait for the new s2Member’s release in the coming months.

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:12 am #20503
Allan

Hi Cristian,

I am not sure if I am not explaining correctly or we are missing something here.

I do not want 2 con-current subscription for Member A. I just want Member A to
i) pay a one time fee of $399, (for the product).
ii) stay on his initial setup subscription of $300 per 6 months. un-touched.
iii) be promoted to the label of lvl 2. (automatically upon payment) yet he continues with the $300 per 6 months that he initially setup.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Allan.
Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:55 am #20513

Sorry, I thought you were talking about two subscriptions:

I have lvl 1 which is $300 for 6 months of private access to website, with a recurring of $300 every 6 months.

I have lvl 2 which is $699 for 6 months of private access to website, with a recurring of $300 every 6 months. But this one comes with an extra downloadable product.

Okay, so what you’re saying is you’d have a user start the Level 1 subscription and then sell him the upgrade with a one-time payment. Is that it?

I think I understand now, since both have the same recurring payments, the one-time payment would be to complete the initial amount for Level 2. Right?

Then yes, I think you can have someone pay the extra $399 and keep the subscription, if I’m not mistaken. I have never had this asked before, so I don’t know for sure. You’d need to do a test to confirm it, you can do it with 1 cent transactions to keep the test cheap.

You can either sell Level 2 with a Buy Now button to the Level 1 user and see if that affects the subscription at all. If it does, then you can test purchasing a custom capability with the Buy Now button and see how that goes.

If the level approach didn’t work but the ccap one did, then you may want to change the way you protect content and instead of using different levels, you’d use custom capabilities. Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 7:18 am #20515
Allan

Hi Cristian,

Yes.. you got the scenario correct now…

The trouble/issue bit is, right now, S2M ‘s interpretation of upgrade from lvl 1 to lvl 2 requires a new subcription (I tried to create the button and cannot find the suitable criteria that will fit what I want )

Is it something that S2M can look into ???

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 7:23 am #20516

Cool, I’m glad I got it now. :)

To make the button be a Buy Now one, you just need to set the [hilite mono]rr[/hilite] attribute to “BN”. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> rr[/hilite]

Or, if you’re using the button generator, you’ll find the Buy Now options in the second half of the term options (in the line that starts with “Then, I want to charge”).

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 7:37 am #20518
Allan

So does that means, by changing the rr to bn, I can edit the button to promote from lvl 1 to lvl 2 with that button?

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 8:06 am #20522

Probably yes, because the attributes for the trial/initial term would be ignored. You’d need to update the description, though. Or you can just generate a new shortcode with the generator. For example:

[[s2Member-PayPal-Button level="2" ccaps="" desc="Level 2 - description and pricing details here." ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="yoursite.com" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="399" rp="1" rt="L" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]]

I set the term to “lifetime” so it doesn’t set an EOT time. If the PayPal subscription is still going, then it’ll notify s2Member in case it’s ended and s2Member would set the EOT time then, but if there’s a time already set then it’ll be left untouched.

This is part of what you’d need to check in your test, together with making sure that the original subscription is still going.

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:18 am #20530
Allan

Thanks Cristian, I found the way to do it..

s2Member® / PayPal® Buttons > Button Code Generator For Level #2 Access > drag and select (Buy Now) , One time, non recurring, no free trial, lifetime.

Tested, and it works. initial subscription not interupted.

Its my over look that failed to identify that.. It must be the tiredness from all the setting up..

Thanks Cristian..

Have a great weekend..

Allan

Posted: Saturday Jul 28th, 2012 at 8:43 pm #20575

That’s great! Thanks for the update.

You too, have a great weekend. :)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.