latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Multi-site access and configuration questions

Home Forums Community Forum Multi-site access and configuration questions

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:57 pm #9052

Hi, I’m working on a milti-site website for a client and they have specific requirements I have questions about:

This multi-site will have:

1. Global homepage & main pages
  2. Recruitment/Training sub-site
  3. Vendor sub-site
  4. Multiple client sub-sites

Different groups will be logging in to the different sites and security is very important – particularly for the client sub-sites. And, new client sub-sites will added over time. Further, the Recruitment sub-site and blog must be open to the public, while training materials pages within this site will be blocked from non-employees.

Questions:

1. Can I have a single login on the main page that will take each party to the proper page with the proper access? For example, once a customer becomes a regular client with their own sub-site, can they login on the homepage and be taken to their private site?
  2. I can see how you bronze, sliver, gold, etc. levels will function effectively for the Recruitment site, but how can I configure S2member so only a particular client as access to their own site?
  3. Will I need to add new levels and rename the level with the client’s name, and then be able to assign access to multiple users for that particular client?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thx

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Derek Little.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:03 am #9198
Staff Member

Can I have a single login on the main page that will take each party to the proper page with the proper access? For example, once a customer becomes a regular client with their own sub-site, can they login on the homepage and be taken to their private site?

Each site in a Multisite Network operates it’s own unique instance of the s2Member plugin. So each Child Blog will have it’s own set of permissions and it’s own content that is protected by the configuration of that specific instance of s2Member, as it’s been configured for that specific Child Blog.

That being said, it is possible for a User/Member to log in from one site in your Network, and not need to log in again for each Child Blog. Edit your /wp-config.php file, and define COOKIE_DOMAIN without the leading www

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.example.com'); // Recognize logged-in Users across all sub-domains.

See also: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Set_Cookie_Domain

I can see how you bronze, sliver, gold, etc. levels will function effectively for the Recruitment site, but how can I configure S2member so only a particular client as access to their own site?

What you’re describing is what we call a “Multisite Blog Farm”, and in order to run a Multisite Blog Farm (and request support for one), you will need our Network Support License. Please see: http://www.s2member.com/prices/#s2-terms-blog-farming

Will I need to add new levels and rename the level with the client’s name, and then be able to assign access to multiple users for that particular client?

No, not necessary. When s2Member is running a Multisite Blog Farm, new site owners that create Child Blogs in your Network will be granted administrative access to their own installation of WordPress. Only (YOU, as the Super Admin), and the original creator of the Child Blog will have administrative access. This access to the customer (i.e. the Child Blog administrator) can be revoked from your Main Site, by removing and/or changing their Role for the Child Blog in question.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:52 am #9231

Hi Jason,

Just to clarify thing for myself which license I need, here’s a better description of what I’m trying to do….

My client needs to provide downloads and other information for each of their own clients, so each of their clients needs to have their own unique profile page. So I originally thought of creating a single site for them and somehow using your (bronze, silver, gold) level system to create a page each one could login to.

Then, my client told me they want to provide monthly updates for each of their clients too. So now, I’m thinking I can offer them a multisite network where each client essentially gets their own blog (that I would password protect).

I was originally wondering how each client would login from the main site to their own blog, but now I realize the thing to do is give them their own domain name. Then each client can just login directly to their blog (via S2member), and my client can login to their master control panel to edit multiple blogs at once. Their clients would not be editing their blog at all. The blog would be pushed to the client’s email so they may not even bother visiting.

Sounds like I need an Unlimited-Site license. Would you agree?

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:57 pm #9248
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Derek,

It sounds like you don’t even need s2Member on your sub-sites. The primary installation of s2Member (on the primary site of a multi-site network) does not protect content across multiple sub-domains.

While s2Member is compatible with WordPress Multisite Networking, the sites within a WordPress network are separate and not interconnected. That means you cannot share users, logins, or other data across the sites (including access control).

Please see the following from WordPress.org:

The sites in a multisite network are separate, very like the separate blogs at WordPress.com. They are not interconnected like things in other kinds of networks (even though plugins can create various kinds of interconnections between the sites). If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution.

The s2Member Multisite feature allows you to offer the s2Member plugin to sub-sites, giving your sub-sites the ability to setup and use s2Member on their own (the plugin appears available for all the sub-sites that you create, but it’s essentially a fresh copy of s2Member). When you upgrade s2Member on the primary site, the s2Member plugin is automatically updated for all your sub-sites. However, things like access restrictions on the primary WP installation is not shared across WP installations (again, the WordPress Multisite feature itself isn’t designed to work like that).

There are plugins that allow you to get around these WordPress Multisite limitations, however they may or may not work with s2Member.

You could use the single-site license to install s2Member on the primary domain and essentially “sell” new sub-domains, but you’d be responsible automating the task of creating new domains upon purchase. s2Member could handle the payments and emails related to making the purchase, but it wouldn’t control who gains access to which sub-domains.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 1:25 pm #9255

Hi Raam,

OK, I think I understand now.

I already have a single domain license. It sounds like I need to upgrade to an Unlimited Site license, so I can install S2member on all my client sites.

For the client my question is based on, I think they could benefit from having S2 on each installation. This would enable each client to have different access levels, and would enable easy setup of login and password management.

Further, the client could still login in to their mater admin using multisite functionality, and navigate to a given client to edit content without having to login the each client site.

How can I go about upgrading to Unlimited-Site License?

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:07 pm #9283
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Derek,

If you login to your s2Member.com account and then click “My Account” at the top, you should find a section that says “My Available Upgrades” with the upgrade listed there.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:07 pm #9292

Hi Raam,

I have another question, and I appreciate all your help…

One of my mini-sites (within my multi-site) will have many end-users – possibly hundreds.

Each end-user needs to be able to login as a member and get access to only their own user profile page with information and downloads that are unique to them.

Can s2member do this? If so, how would I go about setting this up?

Thanks, Derek

I s this possible with s2member?

Posted: Tuesday Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:19 pm #9294
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Derek,

That’s certainly possible. In fact, that sounds a lot like a client portal. The video below explains how you can set that up. Please let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

<Embed Playlist>
Posted: Thursday Mar 29th, 2012 at 3:40 pm #9486

Hi Raam,

Yes, this sounds like what I need, a level “0” setting to create custom pages.

And like Jason mentioned, I do need to create hundreds of accounts and I do need a developer who is competent with S2Member who can do this for me.

I have been searching Elance trying to find a developer, but the people I contact are asking me for more details on specifically what I want.

Ideally, I’k like “my” client to be able to login and create a Custom Post Type that is automatically privatized to a specific username that they create. So, they would not see the S2Member level options or have to add the username to Custom Capabilities on the page and Add New User page.

I’m having a hard time finding someone though.

Is there anyone you can recommend?

Thanks

Posted: Thursday Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:44 pm #9539
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Derek,

Unfortunately I don’t know of anyone I can recommend, but I do suggest posting a job on jobs.wordpress.net. You may have better luck there than Elance.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.