latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Multiple lists in MC and registration in WP

Home Forums Community Forum Multiple lists in MC and registration in WP

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 26th, 2013 at 7:44 pm #50681
cassel
Username: cassel

I am currently using 3 different MC lists and using the s2M+MC plugin, I can get the visitors to register through a MC form, placed on the site, and it will create an account in WP. This is great since I can use those different lists in MC and have an auto-responder scheduled for that particular content (each list refers to specific content the visitor would want to register for). This is great.

The “problem” I notice is that if someone is registering through WP (a login widget or other) and not from a MC form embedded, it seems like s2M will put the name of the registrant on all three lists that have their ID at the level 0 in the API / List Server page. So the question is this: is that a WP process or a s2M process? And is there a way to assign a “main” list and not have s2M register the name on each of the list entered?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday May 27th, 2013 at 11:51 am #50712
cassel

Looking at my “problem” another time, i realize that since i have the pro version, i could use the levels to differenciate the lists. Having all my content protected by ccaps instead of levels, everything would still be protected. However, how can i have a free member on another level than 0? If i want to use an optin and be able to then put the new member on another level than 0, how can i do that? The reason i would need to consider this is that if a member uses a login widget or other part of wp to register (and not a button or form), s2m will send him to all the lists associated with level 0, and then MC will send multiple email confirmations. Not what i need.

Currently, i can have this sequence (using s2m and s2m+Mc plugin)

Situation 1
– user opts in using a MC form for a photo product;
– user is put on the “photo” list, in MC;
– s2M+MC plugin will create an account at level 0 (default for the plugin)
– user gets email confirmation from MC for the “photo” list

Situation 2
– user opts in using a MC form for a “book” product (different form and different list than Situation 1 but on the ame site);
– user is put on the “book” list, in MC;
– s2M+MC plugin will create an account at level 0 (default for the plugin)
– user gets email confirmation from MC for the “book” list

Situation 3
– user uses the login widget from the site and is not using a MC form;
– account is created in wp, at level 0;
– s2m sends the info to MC adding the member to ALL the lists that are listed in the List Server page under Level 0
– MC will send individual email confirmation from each list the member was added; not good

One way i can think of not having s2M send to all the lists, would be to disable registration from WP directly and only use a MC form and the s2m+MC plugin to create the account in s2M, instead of starting at s2M. But, how can that be done? Is it possible to disable that wp-login.php?action=register from the widget or anywhere else it is. But maybe it is not a good idea. Unless there is a way to redirect automatically to a MC form, in which case, it would be a way around.

OR if there is a way to link the free optin to Level 2 (instead of Level 0), then i could leave only one list associated with the Level 0 and everything else could be associated with other levels (2, 3, 4, etc.). This would be my favorite solution if it could work.

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 8:13 am #50813
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

You can run multiple free levels with s2Member Pro, but as you mentioned in your reply, there is no form to upgrade a free User to a higher level for free. You have to do this with the information here:

Knowledge Base » Changing Roles/Capabilities via PHP

However that will not move your Users to the correct MailChimp list.

Actually, scratch that. You can use s2Member’s new Remote Operations API to modify your User to a new level, and it will fire all of the integrations when you do so.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Remote Operations API

This way you can use your multiple Membership Levels, and have Users be able to move up. You will need to have a developer set up this integration for your site, however.

I will talk to our development team about possibly making free modifications forms in the future, but I cannot confirm that this will be added in a future version of s2Member currently.

That should do it, correct?

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 10:14 am #50836
cassel

When you say “and have Users be able to move up”, i am not sure what you are referring. I would need the member to be assigned directly to a different level so only one list would be used instead of going from Level 0 (where i currently have to put all the free registrations, even if for various MC lists) and then going to a different level. Modifying their level wont solve the problem if i have multiple lists ID for Level 0, as it will send the name to ALL the lists from the start and then MC will send as many email notifications, even if the member is moved to another level after.

So basically, the requirement would be to have the member PUT, from the start, on a specific list, NOT move it or move it to a different list before it is sent to MC lists. Is that what that API would do?

My other alternative would be to redirect the wp-login.php?action=register to a specific MC form, that could simulate the WP registration form.

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 6:24 am #50927
Bruce
Staff Member

So basically, the requirement would be to have the member PUT, from the start, on a specific list, NOT move it or move it to a different list before it is sent to MC lists. Is that what that API would do?

Oh, I see what you mean now. Sorry for the confusion. If that’s the case then you could easily set up multiple free levels using the Free Registration Forms with s2Member Pro.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms

You can grant access to any level for free using these forms, and the User will be added to the corresponding MailChimp list. You can use Free Registration Forms to sign Users up to different MailChimp lists that way, and assuming you’re only restricting content at Level 0 or higher, this won’t cause any issues since everything on your site would be free, right?

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 10:23 am #50949
cassel

Hum… it is good to know that there is a way to associate a free registration with another level (something new to me), but I am not sure this would work for me: it does not address the common situation when a visitor decides to register using the login widget (where there is the “Register” option). Unless this form can be used when the visitor clicks Register in the Login widget?Those are the registrations that i need to put somewhere else than the Level 0.

We might be getting close !

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 5:27 am #50992

Unless this form can be used when the visitor clicks Register in the Login widget?Those are the registrations that i need to put somewhere else than the Level 0.

Cassel, this old hack may help: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2819

Jason Caldwell said:
Here is more of a real-world example of how this might be implemented on your site.
[hilite pre_code]
add_action("init", "register_level");
function register_level(){
if(isset($_GET["register_level"])){
$link = c_ws_plugin__s2member_register_access::register_link_gen ("none", "-", $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"], $_GET["register_level"], false);
wp_redirect($link); exit();
}
}
[/hilite]

Here are how the actual links would be formulated:

http://example.com/?register_level=1

See: Knowledge Base » Hacking s2Member® Via Hooks/Filters

Then in your s2 Pro login widget, for the “Signup Now” link use the URL Jason mentions for the hack.

Posted: Saturday Jun 1st, 2013 at 6:43 pm #51149
cassel

This might be exactly what I needed, except that despite reading the thread and the explanations over and over again, I cannot figure out where to indicate the level. One part (in the Additional Details) mentions

$item_number = 1,2,3, or 4

but in the code it is not there, but there is this:

$_GET[“register_level”]

In the examples given, I don’t see any item_number or register_level with a number. Where do I put the number? And just to double-check, with s2M pro, I can have more than 4 levels, right?

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 3:12 am #51165

Then [hilite mono]$GET['register_level'][/hilite] will be the level number you used in the URL, in the example above it’s [hilite mono]1[/hilite], but you could use any Level number you have enabled in s2Member (default is up to 4).

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 11:53 am #51178
cassel

Ok I think I get it. I can replace the links by those after including the code in the php file.
I can see that where I have a URL for the register.php, I would replace it. That is the easy part.
Where I am stuck is how do I change it so that if a member uses the Register “function” say in a login widget, how can I change the URL there? That is not a link I put myself.

Here is an example:
http://scrapbookcampus.com/forums/
On the right side, is the login widget and if the user clicked on Signup Now instead of logging it, the user will go to a wp page (or a s2M page) for signing in or registering. How is THAT link going to be changed?

Otherwise, this hack seems to be exactly what I needed.

Also, you said “Default is up to 4”. Isn’t that unlimited for Pro version?

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 4:42 am #51282
Bruce
Staff Member

On the right side, is the login widget and if the user clicked on Signup Now instead of logging it, the user will go to a wp page (or a s2M page) for signing in or registering. How is THAT link going to be changed?

The short answer is that it won’t. Not unless you change it manually. You’re using the widget through the Widgets portion of your Dashboard, so you can go there and change the URL to match the value you need manually.

When you edit it, you’ll change it here:

You can put in your URL, like:

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 8:56 am #51318
cassel

Maybe i am off, but what will the “My Account” link do? Looking at that widget, it looks like the setting for “Signup Now (enter URL, or just use %%automatic%%)” would need to have the URL. Am i correct?

And if i change it for the widget, will that also change the WP login page where there is also a “Register” like here:
http://scrapbookcampus.com/wp-login.php

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:33 pm #51355
Bruce
Staff Member

Maybe i am off, but what will the “My Account” link do? Looking at that widget, it looks like the setting for “Signup Now (enter URL, or just use %%automatic%%)” would need to have the URL. Am i correct?

So sorry, yes that would be the correct box. I clicked on the wrong image and didn’t notice. :-)

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:40 pm #51357
cassel

But the previous question still stand.

And if i change it for the widget, will that also change the WP login page where there is also a “Register” like here:

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:49 pm #51361
Bruce
Staff Member

No. You’ll have to change this manually. If you’d like a quick fix, this plugin does this easily:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-registration-link/

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:53 pm #51362
cassel

If I change it manually, where do I do that?

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:56 pm #51363
Bruce
Staff Member

If I change it manually, where do I do that?

It takes custom code. This thread goes over this:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/46848/how-to-modify-the-register-link-in-the-login-page

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.