latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Multisite definition question

Home Forums Community Forum Multisite definition question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:18 pm #19673

Hi
I am starting a wordpress multisite for users (clients) who will run many (5 minimum) closed sites with the ability to create 2-5 logins per site from one email address (via a plugin – Allow multiple Accounts).

I want to offer the ability for the client to purchase the ability to add more sites under the same conditions. Eventually (but not initially) each of these sites will be able to add a limited number of real users too.

Also, I want each site to be created from a site template (there is a plugin – Blog Copier – for this that works).

I will be the super admin of all sites and users’ rolls will be restricted to working with content and working with a theme supplied by me and plugins also controlled by me.

Can I do this with your plugin?

What license would I need?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Mike Perlman.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 11:34 pm #19723
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Mike,

While s2Member is compatible with WordPress Multisite Networking, the sites within a WordPress network are separate and not interconnected. That means you cannot share users, logins, or other data across the sites (including access control).

Please see the following from WordPress.org:

The sites in a multisite network are separate, very like the separate blogs at WordPress.com. They are not interconnected like things in other kinds of networks (even though plugins can create various kinds of interconnections between the sites). If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution.

The s2Member Multisite feature allows you to offer the s2Member plugin to sub-sites, giving your sub-sites the ability to setup and use s2Member on their own. When you upgrade s2Member on the primary site, the s2Member plugin is automatically updated for all your sub-sites. However, things like access restrictions on one WP installation are not shared across WP installations (again, the WordPress Multisite feature itself isn’t designed to work like that).

There are plugins that allow you to get around these WordPress Multisite limitations, however they may or may not work with s2Member. The s2Member Multisite feature is not designed to be used to sell sub-site features or handle the creation/provisioning of sub-sites.

If you want to use s2Member Pro in a WordPress multisite environment, you’ll need to purchase the Unlimited-Site licence.

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 4:39 am #19744

Thanks for getting back to me Mr Raam.
First of all what’s this’ll about? You need to patch 3 core files but you don’t provide the numbers of the trac tickets? I’ve never seen that before. Can you provide the tickets numbers please?

In order for s2Member to function properly in a Multisite environment, you MUST implement four patches. One goes into your /wp-login.php file, one into /wp-includes/load.php, one into /wp-includes/ms-functions.php, and another into /wp-admin/user-new.php. We have TRAC tickets into WordPress® for these changes. However, until the official release of WordPress® includes these updates, you will need to use the automatic patcher below. All you do is check the box & click Save.

I am not sure where you get the idea I want to go around the plugin. More like integrate it.

Can you answer me one question specifically? How does the plugin control the number of sites a member can create?

Regarding your last point: that seems to contradict this:

If you operate a WordPress® Multisite Network, for the purpose of maintaining multiple child blogs or sub-sites that you own yourself, an s2Member® Unlimited-Site License is sufficient (e.g. you do NOT need a Network Support License if all child blogs or sub-sites are your own).

As far as I can tell, it comes down to definition of ownership of the sites. That’s what I am trying to clarify. For example users will not have access to fully configure a site. No access to this plugin for example.

Posted: Friday Jul 20th, 2012 at 3:52 am #19807
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Mike,

First of all what’s this’ll about? You need to patch 3 core files but you don’t provide the numbers of the trac tickets? I’ve never seen that before. Can you provide the tickets numbers please?

You don’t need to patch the files yourself; s2Member handles that automatically (from the Multisite WordPress Patches page: “you will need to use the automatic patcher below. All you do is check the box & click Save.”).

When you check the box and hit Save, s2Member patches the files for you. You don’t need the WordPress Trac tickets to patch these files, but if you’d like to take a look at the tickets for your reference, I will contact Jason (the s2Member lead developer) and see if he can reference those here for us.

Can you answer me one question specifically? How does the plugin control the number of sites a member can create?

This is determined by the s2Member Level the user has been granted. You can define how many sites that user can create based upon the level. Please see screenshot below:

Regarding the Unlimited-Site License vs the Network Support License

In your original post, you said,

I want to offer the ability for the client to purchase the ability to add more sites under the same conditions.

That would imply that users are creating and administering additional sites in that multisite network. As per the “Definition Of A Multisite Blog Farm” at the bottom of the s2Member Pro Prices page:

In the case of a WordPress® Multisite Network operating as a Blog Farm, you WILL need our Network Support License […] If you operate a WordPress® Multisite Network, and your Network DOES make it possible for users/members to create child blogs or sub-sites (in any way), we consider your installation to be a Multisite Blog Farm

So if it is the case that you will be allowing users to “add more sites” and to “run”‘ those additional sites, you would need to the Network Support License. Even if the users are paying you to create additional sites for them, your site is still considered a “Multisite Blog Farm” and you would need the Network Support License.

A Multisite Blog Farm (in the eyes of s2Member®), is a Network that makes it possible for its users/members to create child blogs or sub-sites; where one or more of these child blogs or sub-sites is administered by a user/member (e.g. if you offer blogs or sub-sites to your customers, for free or otherwise).

Does that clarify things? If not, please let me know and I’ll see how else I can help. :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.