latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Multisites question

Home Forums Community Forum Multisites question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Oct 22nd, 2012 at 1:37 pm #29288
Oriol Boan
Username: orboan

Hello,
after taking a look at the features published in your website for each free and pro versions, I still don’t know what is the Multisites compatibility or how it works. You say every site of the network runs its own instance of the s2member plugin (free version) but I don’t know if that is true for the pro version.

Briefly, my business model is described next, and what I really want to know is if s2member supports this business model:

A candidate, candidate to be a member, can choose for the free subscription (the default), which allows him/her to gain read access to the public contents of all child sites of my network, but if he/she chooses to pay a fee, he/she gains access (read) to premium contents on any child sites of my Multisites Network, and also to submit (write) for publishing (after admin approval) some items or contents in any of the sites of my Network (not create a new site/blog, only submitting content to sites/blogs I manage myself).

Therefore s2member would have to have the capability to share members between differents sites of the same Multisites Network and allow access / change the access status depending on the membership plan he/she has choosen (change between membership plans), which can be upgradable in any moment.

I need ONE unique registration / membership for all Sites in the Multisites Network, with the possibility to access different membership plans, each allowing access to the corresponding features or contents on any sites of the Network. Further: without the need of manually adding the new accounts for any child site -I mean, once registered in 1 child site (through whatever membership plan -the free is the default) there would be no need to register again, or manually add it through backend, into the other sites of the Network, cause when registering for 1 child site it means that the user account is automatically created for all the sites of the Network.

Even +, membership plans should include the possibility to allow registered members to access to the paid features not for all sites in the Network but only for the ones the plan includes.

As I’m planning to pay for the pro version I ‘d like to know if s2member plugin can fit in my business model.

And the last question (thanks for your patiente):

If I configure s2member to not work for a farm, is there any problem in upgrading my s2member installation in the future to include the farm capabilities/security pacthes, or will I have to do a fresh reinstall to use the farm?

Lots of thanks and excuse me for the long post.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Oriol Boan.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:28 pm #29414
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Oriol,

While s2Member is compatible with WordPress Multisite Networking, the sites within a WordPress network are separate and not interconnected. That means you cannot share users, logins, or other data across the sites (including access control).

Please see the following from WordPress.org:

The sites in a multisite network are separate, very like the separate blogs at WordPress.com. They are not interconnected like things in other kinds of networks (even though plugins can create various kinds of interconnections between the sites). If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution.

The s2Member Multisite feature allows you to offer the s2Member plugin to sub-sites, giving your sub-sites the ability to setup and use s2Member on their own. When you upgrade s2Member on the primary site, the s2Member plugin is automatically updated for all your sub-sites. However, things like access restrictions on one WP installation are not shared across WP installations (again, the WordPress Multisite feature itself isn’t designed to work like that).

There are plugins that allow you to get around these WordPress Multisite limitations, however they may or may not work with s2Member.

Also, all of the s2Member Levels are based on the WordPress Subscriber role capabilities, which does not offer any permission to access the WordPress Dashboard or publish/edit content. In other words, s2Member is only designed to restrict access to viewing content, not for controlling access to WordPress back-end features like publishing and editing posts.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:21 pm #29441
Oriol Boan

Appreciate your answer dear Raam.

I understand now the philosophy of Multisites Network, thanks for clarifying.

On the other hand, and regarding your comment: “In other words, s2Member is only designed to restrict access to viewing content, not for controlling access to WordPress back-end features like publishing and editing posts.” I ask you if I have a plugin which permits a registered user publish an item from the front-end, would s2member be capable of restricting that publishing feature from the non-membership users? I’m talking, for instance, about the Front-end Property Publishing addon of the wp-property plugin, which allows owners to publish properties without the need to go to the backend. The idea is to create a membership (free or paid) plan to allow owners to publish their properties.

https://usabilitydynamics.com/tutorials/wp-property-help/front-end-property-submissions-feps/

Thank you again, very apreciate your patiente.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Oriol Boan.
Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:59 pm #29543
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Oriol,

You may be able to restrict such front-end functions using the s2Member Advanced PHP conditionals (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals).

Posted: Thursday Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:16 am #29619
Oriol Boan

Yes, it’s true. I’ve seen the vids where the php conditionals are explained and it should provide the means to restrict the publishing from the frontend. Thx. I think I’ll buy the pro version, cause this s2member plugin is very versatile and flexible.

Posted: Thursday Oct 25th, 2012 at 1:58 pm #29669
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Great! Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.