latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Need some help RSS feed Meta Data

Home Forums Community Forum Need some help RSS feed Meta Data

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 12 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 8:42 am #36975

Good morning,

We are having a major issue, and are hoping to get some support. Here is what is going on. We do a daily podcast and have transferred our entire user base into wordpress and S2 Member, as well as 1600 podcasts. Everything seems to be working fine except mobile devices. We have tried JWPLAYER, JPLAYER, and custom built one of our own. For some reason the meta data is not being transferred to the player. This results in the player starting over as soon as the download is complete so the user gets about 3 minutes in and it restarts.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Does S2 member serve the meta in some unusual way?

The players, all of them work on the website, but on no mobile apps. Well they work – just no time shown, the podcast restarts. Encoding has been tried as AAC and MP3. We are back to MP3 now.

We are using WP 3.42 and S2 v121204 – Files are stored locally on our own server

ANY HELP, would be greatly appreciated. We have tried everything to get this to work. If you would like to test it, please use this account.

Please use –

http://www.MorningCoach.com

jamestesttest
test123

The main issue my programmer just told me is this: We need to know how to serve protected files with their meta data

Thank you very much, again the mobile player is the issue.

BTW JWplayer support can’t figure it out either – here is the thread we have been running for a week or so. – http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/forums/jw-player/setup-issues-and-embedding/30511/jw-issue-with-ipad-and-iphone/

• This topic was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  JB Glossinger.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 11:28 am #37254
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

It sounds to me like these are byte-range requests coming from mobile devices. When you’re trying to reach a large audience and support multiple devices, I would strongly encourage you to integrate s2Member with both Amazon S3 and CloudFront for maximum compatibility where audio/video are concerned.

From what you’ve described, it sounds to me like a byte-range request is being performed by a mobile device, and since s2Member’s default WordPress-based file server does not support byte-range requests, the file is being served again from the beginning, instead of from a specific byte-range.

In other words, the mobile device is not trying to download the file ONE time, it’s trying to download it multiple times, but starting at different byte-ranges each time, until it gets the entire file. s2Member’s default file server does not support this yet. However, it is supported by s2Member through Amazon CloudFront integration.

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Amazon® S3/CloudFront CDN Storage

This has only recently come to our attention, that mobile devices have started making more and more requests like this. While we have every intention of updating s2Member’s default file server to support this, we’re not there yet. Even so, I would still encourage you to integrate with CloudFront for the best experience, from both a site owner’s perspective, and also from a customer’s perspective. CloudFront is going to be faster, more reliable, and more compatible across different kinds of devices. And, since s2Member is already integrated with CloudFront, it’s really a great way to go.

Or, if you’d prefer to wait, we’re working to release an update that adds byte-range support to the default WordPress-based file server that comes with s2Member. Hopefully our next update will resolve this for you.

Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 11:36 am #37257

Jason,

We just fixed it last night – close to what you are telling us to do.

Thanks for the help…. we are loading the file into WP for our Jwplayer on site and putting the additional file up in AS3. We may switch to Amazon Cloudfront all the way. But for now this works. I do have to upload the file 2X’s but not a big issue we wrote the php script for mobile to look for the identical file in Amazon S3. (I am not the technical guy, but this is what one of our programmers did).

Bottom line – we have a file in WP that goes to JWplayer for standard computer browsers, and a file in Amazon the JWplayer reads for our mobile JWplayer.

Jason, thanks for your attention to detail here. You guys are great. If a user finds this later and is having the issue we don’t mind sharing what we are doing. If I did not have 1600 audios to upload would go Amazon all the way -For someone just building l would suggest they use Amazon Cloudfront.

We may just do that – we will have a meeting on this tomorrow.

Tomorrow we start on EOT, we have everything running fine, except on decline and expired cards from our initial import. For some reason the ARB is being suspended, but the information is not getting back to S2 member to drop them down in level. We have been working on getting our players working so this was held off till tomorrow, but we may need some support.

Jason, truly awesome support – thank you very much.

JB

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  JB Glossinger.
Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 11:43 am #37259
Staff Member

Awesome. That’s great to hear.

Yes, please let us know if you have any trouble with the other issue.
Feel free to create a new topic for that. Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.