latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Page Access Restrictions

Home Forums Community Forum Page Access Restrictions

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:56 am #4726

Deferred to ticket #4741

Thanks…Bill

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Little Willy.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:12 am #4741

Something is overriding the Page Access Restrictions I set up in the s2Member panel. Even though I am signed in as the admin s2Member denies access and keeps redirecting back to page 5, the Membership Options Page.

I really need some help on what to do about this. If I need to deactivate the s2Member Pro plugin and then reactivate it, I would like to know if this would solve the problem. I need to know as soon as possible so I can spend the weekend on this, please. It is due Monday :(

Version 111220 + s2Member Pro v111220 running WP 3.3.1 Twenty Eleven 1.2 on Dreamhost

Thanks for your time.

Bill

FINALLY, I figured out that I had to delete the page number from Page Access Restrictions Options list for level 1 and place the URI fragment in URI Restrictions – URIs That Require Level #1 Or Higher:

For example:

https://theartofprizewriting.com/?page_id=5&_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=page&_s2member_seeking%5Bpage%5D=84&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=Lz9wYWdlX2lkPTg0&_s2member_req%5Btype%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=1&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=page&s2member_seeking=page-84&s2member_level_req=1

The URI fragment placed in URI Restrictions is Lz9wYWdlX2lkPTg0

Yeah, I know, all over the map in my thinking but I am a noob and I learned a lot this weekend. I am sort of glad now that everyone was too busy to answer me right off.

I do still have one question however: Why is it that it is enough to protect some pages by entering the page number into the Page Access Restrictions form while other pages need to be protected via the URI Restrictions Option?

AND, what is the fastest way to find the URI of a page?

One hitch remains: only in Firefox and Safari but not Chrome, when I sign in for Level 1 the request takes me to the Login Welcome Page as it should. However, as soon as I leave the Login Welcome Page to surf around the site and then come back to the Login Welcome Page (because it is the home page for paid info) I get deferred to the Membership Options Page again and am locked out thereafter:

Firefox:

https://theartofprizewriting.com/?page_id=5&_s2member_seekingtype=page&_s2member_seekingpage=10&_s2member_seeking_uri=Lz9wYWdlX2lkPTEw&_s2member_reqtype=level&_s2member_reqlevel=0&_s2member_restype=sys&s2member_seeking=page-10&s2member_level_req=0

Safari:

https://theartofprizewriting.com/?page_id=5&_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=page&_s2member_seeking%5Bpage%5D=10&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=Lz9wYWdlX2lkPTEw&_s2member_req%5Btype%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=0&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=sys&s2member_seeking=page-10&s2member_level_req=0

This only happens with Firefox and Safari not Chrome. Do you know why?

Thanks for your patience, and if your ears were burning…yes, that was me :)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Little Willy.
Posted: Monday Feb 13th, 2012 at 6:39 pm #4964

My concerns about different browsers reacting differently to Page Access Restriction with respect to the Login Welcome Page is the only factor preventing me from going live.

Is this “priority support?” Is anyone reviewing my problem or am I in the wrong place?

Thanks…Bill

Wow. This is just an awful experience. To be left twisting in the wind for days. Not knowing if I made the mistake or whether s2Member is the mistake.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Little Willy.
Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:09 pm #5102

Hi Bill. I’m very sorry about the very delayed response.

I’m glad you figured out the first problem. I’ll try to answer the others:

I do still have one question however: Why is it that it is enough to protect some pages by entering the page number into the Page Access Restrictions form while other pages need to be protected via the URI Restrictions Option?

Well, the page ID restriction will work with WordPress pages only, so if you’re trying to apply it to, say, a BuddyPress page, that’s not gonna work. The URI restriction, on the other hand, will work with any web page that WordPress serves, including BuddyPress, WP pages, WP posts, etc.

AND, what is the fastest way to find the URI of a page?

Look at the URL after the domain name.

One hitch remains: only in Firefox and Safari but not Chrome, when I sign in for Level 1 the request takes me to the Login Welcome Page as it should. However, as soon as I leave the Login Welcome Page to surf around the site and then come back to the Login Welcome Page (because it is the home page for paid info) I get deferred to the Membership Options Page again and am locked out thereafter:

That’s very odd. It’s as if cookies weren’t being set properly after login. Could you check if there’s a plugin conflict causing this? Create a backup of the site and start deactivating other plugins one by one, testing after each if it’s possible to browse the members pages after having logged in. If the problem goes away, then the last plugin you deactivated was the one causing it.

If you end up with just s2Member and the session problem persists, could you please provide a test account to try it? Please use the private contact form for this: http://www.s2member.com/contact/

I hope that helps! :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:14 pm #5104
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Bill,

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

s2Member has been tested with both Firefox and Safari, so the problem your describing sounds like it could be related to something else. Have you tried disabling all other plugins temporarily to see if something is conflicting?

Also, could you please tell me exactly what you have configured in WP Admin -> s2Member -> Restriction Options?

If a user logs in, accesses the Login Welcome Page, then browses the site and comes back to the Login Welcome Page, the only reason I can think he would be redirected to the Membership Options Page is if he was somehow logged out, or if you’re doing something with URI restrictions that is conflicting.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:03 pm #5111

Thanks for responding, guys.

I have responded via the private contact form.

Bill

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:38 pm #5121
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Details received. Investigating now.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:00 pm #5122
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Bill,

The problem is that you’re mixing https://theartofprizewriting.com with https://www.theartofprizewriting.com.

When a user logs in, they’re logging in under https://theartofprizewriting.com, but once they’re logged in, all of your menu links point to https://www.artofprizewriting.com.

Web browsers treat those two as entirely different domains, so when you try to visit a protected page with the www URL, it doesn’t see you logged in and redirects you to the Membership Options Pages.

The reason you didn’t see this issue on Chrome is that it’s probably silently assuming that you made this mistake and fixes it for you (that’s actually bad, because from a technical standpoint, they really are two separate domains).

Please see this thread for more information: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1066

All of the menu links across the top start with www and that’s what’s causing the problem. A user logs in at the non-www version of the URL and then once they click one of the menu items, they’re now considered “not logged in”.

Please update all your custom menu’s in WP Admin -> Appearance -> Menus and use the non-www version of the URL.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:18 pm #5128

Awesome! I have read this and should have remembered. One thing is for sure: I won’t make this mistake again.

These noobs eh?

Thanks so much for your help, you have just made my day! I was really getting frustrated.

Bill

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:32 pm #5130
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Glad we could help, Bill! :)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.