latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Paid for events

Home Forums Community Forum Paid for events

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 12 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jan 10th, 2013 at 4:49 am #36839

Does this plugin support paid-for events?

Where members and non-members can sign up at different rates?

If not is there a plugin that will work with s2member to achieve this?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 7:22 am #36962
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the great question

This is totally possible. You’ll want to check out Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Subscr. Modification Buttons to do this. You’ll need to create two kinds of forms for s2Member to work correctly, and you can use the info provided under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals to show one button or the other depending on if the user is logged in.

If the user is not logged in, you can show one of the Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Membership Level # Buttons or Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Membership Level # Forms, while if the use is logged out, you’ll need to use Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Subscr. Modification Buttons or Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms.

Does that make sense?

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 8:13 am #36970

OK so it’s possible to create two buttons of different prices, one for members and one for non-members.

Is there an events facility? For example if I have an event with 10 spaces, can a member/non-member sign up and pay? Providing certain details such as address etc?

Can it be limited so that only 10 people can sign up? What if one person wanted to sign up for 2 spaces?

Thanks, Chris

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 8:15 am #36972
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up

Is there an events facility? For example if I have an event with 10 spaces, can a member/non-member sign up and pay? Providing certain details such as address etc?

Can it be limited so that only 10 people can sign up? What if one person wanted to sign up for 2 spaces?

s2Member does not currently support this exact functionality. However, you could put something like this together fairly simply with Custom Capabilities through s2Member. You’ll need some custom code to so so though. To get started I’d recommend checking out the video on custom capabilities:

Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 9:45 am #37002
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

@Chris Paterson

Does this plugin support paid-for events?
Where members and non-members can sign up at different rates?
If not is there a plugin that will work with s2member to achieve this?

Hi Chris. If you would please, can you provide us with a bit more detail about what you’re trying to accomplish? s2Member can be quite flexible, and I think if we had a better idea of what your business model is, we can help you achieve it with s2Member. I’m all ears :-)

For instance, you wrote “Does this plugin support paid-for events?”.

What exactly is a Paid-For Event?

Thanks!

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 10:09 am #37007

Basic scenario is this:

We’re a sports club charity who wants to start taking paid on-line membership. (s2member will work fine for this)

Another thing that we would like to do is run training courses…

r1) These courses (events) would require on-line registration and payment.
r2) They are open to both members and non-members.
r3) Members would be charged a lower rate.
r4) There would only be a certain number of spaces available for each course.

q1) Would s2member be able to support these requirements?
q2) Are there other plugins that would work with s2member to support these requirements?
q3) Could I edit the s2member plugin to achieve this (with some help/sample code provided by you)

Thanks for your time.

Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 4:34 am #37233
Staff Member
Thanks. I’m reviewing this now and I will get back to you shortly.
~ Thanks for your patience.
Posted: Sunday Jan 13th, 2013 at 9:38 am #37241
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

r1) These courses (events) would require on-line registration and payment.

I will leave the actual course registration itself, and how you present the course itself, out of the equation here. Except to say that I’ll assume that your Course/Event will be accessed from either a Post or Page that is created in WordPress one way or another. There are many WordPress plugins available for this type of thing, or if you plan to create one for yourself, that woud be fine too. s2Member will only help you restrict and sell access to this functionality, it’s not going to provide the actual course or events manager for you.

So let’s assume that you have a Post/Page you need to sell access to, which is where a customer gains entry to the Course/Event. As I understand it, this Post/Page would be sold through s2Member, to either a new or existing User/Member of the site, using s2Member’s “Specific Post/Page Access” functionality.

If you need to sell this access at different rates, depending upon the current status of a User/Member (i.e. whether they are already paying you for ongoing membership access or not), you would accomplish this using s2Member Simple Shortcode Conditionals.

All of this stuff is documented within s2Member, but I’ll post a quick example for you here.

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_level1)]
	The discounted rate for existing Members at Level #1 or higher.
	[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form ... sp="1" ids="123" ra="5.00" /]
[/s2If]

[s2If current_user_cannot(access_s2member_level1)]
	The normal rate for those who are NOT yet Members of the site.
	[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form ... sp="1" ids="123" ra="10.00" /]
[/s2If]

Here are the relevant areas in your Dashboard with s2Member installed.
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Specific Post/Page (Buy Now) Forms
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals

There is also a video tutorial here that covers this additional layer of functionality.
http://www.s2member.com/videos/ED64B278374AB72F/

r2) They are open to both members and non-members.

I considered this above.

r3) Members would be charged a lower rate.

I considered this above.

r4) There would only be a certain number of spaces available for each course.

This is something you would need to add a counter for. It’s not something that comes with s2Member by default, but it’s not anything difficult to implement either. You can wrap the example I gave above, with an additional check to see how many people have already purchased this in the past. If it exceeds the number of slots you allow, you would display a message, instead of allowing another purchase.

When you get to this point, please let us know if you need further assistance. s2Member comes with API Notifications that make this easy to accomplish with just a couple lines of code, and we can certainly help with that. I wish you luck. Please let us know if you have any additional questions/concerns.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.