latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Paypal expired security token

Home Forums Community Forum Paypal expired security token

This topic contains 41 replies, has 8 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Apr 15th, 2013 at 3:57 pm #47517

I have Paypal and s2member Pro setup successfully, and have charged and rebilled for credit card payments without issue. What doesn’t seem to work is recurring billing when the payment method is a paypal account. The initial payment goes through but on recurring billing for paypal account-funded (non-CC) renewals I get a “field format error” (error code 7 in the transaction details page).

I have talked to Paypal Merchant Tech Support and Paypal Merchant Solutions and both agree it is an expired security token which is being used to process the recurring transactions, which seems to point the figure at s2member.

Right now I have 3 different customers who fall into this scenario and all are failing their rebilling payment for this same issue.

Please help.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Apr 15th, 2013 at 9:53 pm #47567
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

I have talked to Paypal Merchant Tech Support and Paypal Merchant Solutions and both agree it is an expired security token which is being used to process the recurring transactions, which seems to point the figure at s2member.

Are you talking about the PayPal API Signature set up here? You should be able to update this no problem.

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details

Also, what kind of PayPal do you have set up with s2Member? If you’re using PayPal + Payflow it’s possible that your Payflow integration is the problem.

See: Knowledge Base » PayPal® Services / A Quick Comparison

Posted: Tuesday Apr 16th, 2013 at 3:01 am #47584

No, Paypal is referencing the security token which must be obtained via the API and is only good for a short period of time to conduct a transaction. They say the software (s2member) should be asking for a new token when the recurring billing happens and not using the same token, which is now expired, as was originally used for the transaction.

Using S2Member Pro with PayPal Pro account (with Payflow Recurring Billing). Credit cards work fine. Paypal account billing works fine, except when rebilling a customer.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 16th, 2013 at 11:19 pm #47631
Bruce
Staff Member

No, Paypal is referencing the security token which must be obtained via the API and is only good for a short period of time to conduct a transaction. They say the software (s2member) should be asking for a new token when the recurring billing happens and not using the same token, which is now expired, as was originally used for the transaction.

Gotcha. I’m fairly certain s2Member should be handling this, but I’ll send this to our development team to get clarification.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 12:24 am #47646
Bruce
Staff Member

Could you clarify what you mean by “security token”? Are you referring to an Express Checkout TOKEN, or API Security Credential? If it’s an API Security Credential, which one?

Also, could we take a look at your log files? You can send them via Private Contact Form here:

s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 10:37 am #47674

I wasnt given enough information to know which security token they were talking about, and I didnt know enough about the protocol or the api to ask.

I have uploaded all of my logs as asked. We are currently losing money by not being able to rebill paypal customers. Please help.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 11:41 pm #47726
Bruce
Staff Member

I have uploaded all of my logs as asked. We are currently losing money by not being able to rebill paypal customers. Please help.

Thanks. I’m notifying our lead developer and we’ll get back to you ASAP. :-)

Actually, we didn’t receive any log files. Would you mind sending the files again? It’s possible there was a connection issue when you submitted your logs.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 11:50 pm #47732

OK log files uploaded again. I received notification that they were received before as well. All the logs are tar+gzip’d together.

Posted: Thursday Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:32 am #47751
Bruce
Staff Member

OK log files uploaded again. I received notification that they were received before as well. All the logs are tar+gzip’d together.

We still didn’t receive them. I’m having our site team look into the form, we haven’t had any problems with it thus far but we’re not receiving these logs. In the mean time I’m going to send an email to the address registered to your account. If you could send Dashboard login details to the email address that you receive the message from (it will end with @websharks-inc.com), we can download your logs through the Dashboard.

Posted: Thursday Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:50 am #47755

Replied.

Posted: Thursday Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:51 am #47756
Bruce
Staff Member

Replied.

Got it. Thank-you. I’m forwarding this to our development team.

Posted: Friday Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:31 am #47880

Any updates on this?

Posted: Friday Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:27 pm #47931
Bruce
Staff Member

Any updates on this?

I’m bumping this for our development team. I’m waiting for their reply.

Posted: Monday Apr 22nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm #48099

Upon trying to retry one of the payments which was rejected I get:

Result Code: 7
Response Message: Field format error: 10411-This Express Checkout session has expired. Token value is no longer valid..

…this sounds similar to the token which was referenced by Paypal Merchant Support.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:22 am #48170

This is what Jason (the Lead Developer) told us earlier today:

Thank you. I received the log files, but there is no reference to this error code in any of the log files that I have.

Could you submit the contact form again, with all the info requested there, and not attach any files? He can review those in your dashboard or via FTP if we have that info. Please leave a reply here once you sent it, so we can forward it to him. Thanks! s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:18 am #48180

I submitted ALL of the log files in the s2member log directory to Bruce, the entire folder and it has not been cleared in quite some time. So I assure you, you have everything.

It doesnt surprise me that this error doesnt show up in the logs however because this ONLY happens as a part of the Paypal account rebill process, which I believe is managed by a Paypal Recurring Billing Profile (whatever that means) that is originally setup by S2member.

I really need some help with resolving this issue and I am getting a bit perturbed that it is taking so long to resolve this issue. We are losing money everyday from this issue not getting resolved and my guess is its something simple and/or something stupid that can be found with a few minutes of attention on the part of development. Paypal support is clearly pointing the picture of this being a software problem with what is using and manipulating the API and that is s2member in this case.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 8:55 am #48187

I can understand it’s frustrating.

If you didn’t see the error in the logs, where did you see it? Communications with PayPal get logged, not just the first one. So if there was an error, it would likely be in one of the logs.

Could you tell us the ID of the subscription (subscr ID) that gave you this problem so we can look for the related entries in the logs?

Does the user have that subscr ID in his profile? Does the subscription profile exist in PayPal?

I asked for the site’s info because that way Jason can take a look at the installation if needed too, and sometimes may even run some tests to find the problem.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:11 am #48188

The error can be see when viewing payments for recurring profiles in PayPal (Pay Flow) Manager.

So:
Go here: https://manager.paypal.com/manageProfiles.do
And then click on a profile ID for a paypal payer
And then click on the ‘View Payments’ button
If you then click on the Transaction ID of the payment that failed you get a bit more details.

Upon click ‘Retry This Payment’ button next to one of the failed rebills, this is where I see:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-expired-security-token/#post-48099

WP Users #: 135 (RP0000000015) and 137 (RP0000000016)

Both users have a Paid Subscr ID in their WordPress account details (see values in parens above).

I have submitted admin login info to WP twice before when trying to upload logs to Bruce, so you should have those on record. If not I can do it a third time.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:52 pm #48235

Thanks for the info. I’ll forward it to Jason.

About the login info, the contact form email never got to us, probably because of the attached log files, which you ended up having to email to Bruce directly. Did you include in that email all the info the contact form requests?

It’d be great if you could submit the contact form once more, without any attached files, just the login info. Thanks! s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:34 pm #48255

Third times a charm…

Posted: Tuesday Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:45 pm #48256

Yep, got the email. Thanks! Will forward it to Jason.

Posted: Thursday Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:21 am #48358

Bump…

Posted: Friday Apr 26th, 2013 at 8:46 am #48472

Yep, haven’t forgotten, I’m just waiting for Jason to get back to me on this one. I’ll update you as soon as I have any news from him on this.

Posted: Sunday Apr 28th, 2013 at 4:46 am #48610
Staff Member
UPDATE: This issue has been escalated to PayPal MTS, and we are awaiting a resolution. We will update this thread once we receive confirmation and/or assistance from PayPal MTS.
Posted: Thursday May 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am #49006

Any word on this? We are quickly approaching month #2 with customers who I cant bill for access.

Posted: Monday May 6th, 2013 at 11:32 pm #49336
Staff Member
UPDATE: We are still working with PayPal to resolve this issue, but it appears that we are getting closer to a resolution. A new release of s2Member will be forthcoming (next day or two); to help resolve this issue related to Express Checkout under a Payflow integration.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.