latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

PayPal "Order summary" not populating

Home Forums Community Forum PayPal "Order summary" not populating

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday May 17th, 2013 at 9:15 am #50127
fpl
Username: ctl

Hi there,

Although this issue has been reported in two other topics (links below), I’m opening a new one because, unlike the “main” issue, it hasn’t been resolved with s2Member’s latest updates (v130510 & 130513) and *seems* to have been forgotten about (no reply since May 11th).

The issue: when a customer checks out using PayPal as Billing Method (recurring payment), the “Order summary” on PayPal’s page doesn’t populate. Both the “Description” and “Future payment” fields remain blank.
———————————————

Your order summary

Descriptions
Future payment
———————————————

My customer was told by PayPal MTS that “Recurring payments do not have descriptions, but you can change the Profile Name to be more descriptive”. Obviously, this is not a valid answer: the two fields mentioned above haven’t been put there for decorative purposes. (btw. I was being sarcastic towards MTS, not s2 support, in the other topic…).

This is not a minor issue: what percentage of ppl would go ahead with a blank order summary? My guess is that it’s very close to zero…

Please note that you still have access to the site (clean install with default theme, s2Member & PayPal info).

Related topics:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/recurring-payment-not-showing-as-recurring/page/2/
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-expired-security-token/page/2/#post-49729

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 21st, 2013 at 12:12 pm #50294
fpl

No update on this, Guys? It’s been 10 days now since we last heard from you…

Apparently, Cristián is not available these days, but could someone take over, please?

Has Jason been informed about this issue? Again it’s not a minor one and we are really concerned.

Thanks.

Posted: Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 4:16 am #50416
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

I’m very sorry for the delay in response. As Cristian was handling this thread I had skipped over this until now.

I’m going to bump this at our development level, as I’m not totally sure what the issue was here myself. I’ll see if Jason can shed some light on this.

Posted: Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 10:05 am #50440
fpl

Thanks very much, Bruce!

Posted: Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 6:18 pm #50477

I talked with Jason almost a couple weeks ago about it and here’s what he said:

2013-05-11 18:35:21 Jason Caldwell: Yea I saw that comment. I will answer that shortly. That’s another issue that I’m waiting on PayPal MTS about. From my testing, I think that’s by design; but it would be nice to have descriptions listed with each profile too.
2013-05-11 18:35:37 Cristián: I see
2013-05-11 18:35:56 Jason Caldwell: PayPal just says “Future Payment” no matter what description we input for them.
2013-05-11 18:36:02 Cristián: but iirc, it happened during checkout, like, you get sent to PayPal and the product is not there (no desc)
2013-05-11 18:36:54 Cristián: I remember seeing that happen when I did the test checkout
2013-05-11 18:38:06 Jason Caldwell: It’s there, it just says “Future Payment”; which is confusing I know; but that’s not because we did not provide a description; it’s because PayPal’s interface ignores the description we sent over (when it comes to a Billing Agreement). I’m going to try again to improve this, but I’m not optimistic right now.

I was waiting for him to hear back from PayPal MTS and finish his tests before telling you a definite answer, but I didn’t get any updates after that chat and then I had to take a leave until today. I’m very sorry about it.

I left Jason a note regarding this, hoping he has an update, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

Posted: Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 6:54 pm #50486
fpl

Thanks very much for this update, Cristián.

We really have to go live now, so I’ve removed all Payflow-related information and edited the forms so that only Express Checkout be used.

As the problem of blank descriptions w/ Payflow only occurs with recurring payments, it would be nice if we could use Payflow for the one-off payments. But apparently it’s all or nothing… Or do you see a way to keep Payflow enabled and bypass it and force Express Checkout for recurring payments?

Thanks!

Posted: Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 8:44 pm #50504

I really don’t know. I’ll have to wait for Jason’s input on that. I left him a note.

Posted: Monday Jun 3rd, 2013 at 9:09 am #51213
fpl

Any update on that, guys?

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 7:29 pm #51382

No, haven’t heard from Jason regarding this yet. I just left him a reminder in case he missed my note the first time.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 12th, 2013 at 11:16 pm #51843
87soccerb
Username: 87soccerb

Yeah, I’d really love a response on this issue too. I am having this exact same issue.

On my test runs, I click to use PayPal (I am using PayPal Pro, Payflow edition and using S2Member Pro Checkout Page) and it takes me to the Paypal payment page, but there is NOTHING in terms of a description … just says Future payment.

PLEASE … this is the last thing I need to fix before I go live on my site, I would really love to get some feedback on this.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:19 am #52069

This is what Jason said:

I never received a definitive reply from PayPal on this. I get a big run around everytime I get specific about something and need real tech support. However, my research online and my experience with other vendors integrated this way with PayPal; is that this IS by design.

When s2Member integrates via Payflow Express Checkout and it goes through as a Billing Agreement, there is no description provided by PayPal during checkout; even if we supply one. Nothing we can do about this.

On the PayPal side of things, the site owner is creating an agreement w/ the buyer; and with a Billing Agreement, we can charge anything we want to, and at anytime we like. Thus, PayPal chooses NOT to display a description; they simply state “Future Payment” (e.g. they are VERY vague intentionally).

Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:26 am #52070

fpl said:
As the problem of blank descriptions w/ Payflow only occurs with recurring payments, it would be nice if we could use Payflow for the one-off payments. But apparently it’s all or nothing… Or do you see a way to keep Payflow enabled and bypass it and force Express Checkout for recurring payments?

With the pro-forms, Express Checkout can’t be disabled, but you can disable the other payment options (cards) that are processed through the PayFlow API. If you mean disabling the cards for payments that are subscriptions and leave only Express Checkout, you’d just leave only “paypal” in the [hilite mono]accept[/hilite] attribute of that pro-form. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes -> accept[/hilite]

Posted: Monday Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:41 pm #52852

I am having the same issue and it looks like PP MTS has not given an answer yet…is this correct? I told my client that it is a paypal pro issue and probably not affecting business. However, I would totally prefer some content in the Order Summary fields like the basic buttons provide.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:03 am #52885

Right, we haven’t gotten much help from PayPal about this. I’m sorry. :/

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.