latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

paypal-pn.log not being updated

Home Forums Community Forum paypal-pn.log not being updated

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:37 pm #21058
Mary May
Username: marymay

Customers are reporting they are not seeing the registration emails that are usually triggered by a PayPal transaction. Activity in the paypal-ipn-log ceased 3 days ago.

We have “refreshed” PayPal account credentials in PayPal settings and made sure the IPN URL is correct with PayPal. (It was.)

A 1-cent test transaction a few minutes ago DID complete successfully, taking the new subscriber back to the s2member new registration panel at the site. HOWEVER, the usual “Congratulations…” message has failed to appear for anyone, and the paypal-ipn-log still shows 3 day old activity as its last.

and YES, PayPal account logging is enabled. I see activity on the API and RTN logs, just not the IPN.

Suggestions, please.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Mary May.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:34 am #21094

Hi Mary.

I’m not sure why the log file is not being updated. Did you change something 3 days ago in your site? Maybe added/updated a plugin that caused this? As a quick test, if you deactivate the other plugins and to a test transaction, does the log now have the new entry for it?

Posted: Friday Aug 3rd, 2012 at 9:12 am #21101
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Mary,

Another thing I would check is the communication between your server and PayPal. If you’re suddenly not getting anything in the IPN log that would indicate that PayPal is unable to communicate with your server.

The first thign I’d recommend is downloading this Server Check Tool, uploading the PHP file to your WordPress directory, and then loading the URL to the file in your browser. It will run a bunch of tests to determine if there’s anything amiss on the server-side.

If that checks out, I recommend going to your PayPal account and looking for the IPN transaction log. It shows you whether PayPal’s attempt to send IPN messages were successful or not. It might show what error (if any) is being reported.

Posted: Friday Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:48 pm #21131
Mary May

Cristián: Yes, there was a change about the time IPN quit working. I added a plugin called “Easy Contact Forms,” which really isn’t easy, has a whole bunch of panels, messes with mailing stuff and messes with the users table (I think). The timing and the function overlaps are too good.

I can’t recall any other functional changes at that time. Content additions of course, but no other functions or plugins.

So, I deactivated and deleted Easy Contact Forms this morning. No joy! Still no IPN logging.

I deleted all s2member log files form the server just in case of corruption or permission problems. The api and rtn logs are being written again. No IPN.

Raam: Yes, ran the test tool and got PASSs on every test. I also verified the PayPal to s2Member AR and IPN URLs, the API credentials and the PDT credential. All good.

From the PayPal side, I can see every IPN sent and PayPal reports a “200” http return code for every one.
*** I asked PayPal to resend one of those IPNs. It did … took a while. Got a 200 return code.
Still no IPN log.
Still no confirmation mail!

** IMPORTANT**
While we can actually do without the IPN log, it’s the confirmation / registration emails to subscribers that are the most important consideration. (I’ve always assumed they’re tied to IPN, as Jason mentions in one of the videos. Maybe I’m wrong about that?) Those are actually a LOT more important than the IPN log, and we’re not seeing them. ****And, the subscribers who don’t follow through with the automatic return and registration are not seeing the emails and becoming cranky about not knowing how to “get into the site.”

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
What’s the next idea? Is it safe to reinstall s2 over the top of what we have?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Mary May.
Posted: Sunday Aug 5th, 2012 at 7:47 am #21182
Mary May

Solved!
Plugin conflict with “amr users.” Despite what you say about liking it, it kills the IPN/eMail confirmation processes.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 7th, 2012 at 1:25 am #21312
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Thank you for the update, Mary! Glad to hear you solved it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.