latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Pre sale: multiple concurrent levels ++

Home Forums Community Forum Pre sale: multiple concurrent levels ++

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Oct 1st, 2012 at 10:19 am #27074

Hi

I would like to use S2 to add 3 levels of restricted access to our site. Each level will be free for now however one will be paid in the near future (leaving 2 unpaid and one stranger level).

1. Can this be done with Free version or do I need Pro

2. Some of the members will belong to more than one group. Eg some of the Executive Committee of the not for profit are also Special Representatives. Let’s say Bill and Anne are Executive Committee Members and Anne and John are Special representatives. Bill should only have access to Executive content and John to Special Representative content but Anne should have access to both.

3. I assume S2 can control access to both bbPress Forums and BuddyPress Group Forums. Yes I can see that it can through URIs/fragments.

4. I am worried about potential conflicts between URIs/fragments and our open content. We publish 8-10 stories per week which are available to anyone. We don’t want them accidently protected because we use one of the fragment words “members” “forums” etc in a post (story) title. I am mainly interested in protecting BuddyPress Group Forums and Sitewide (bbPress) forums. Would it be better to put S2 & BuddyPress etc on a second installation at eg http://forums.mysitename.org rather than trying to put it all at one URL; so long as I could have a couple of pages [including one list of a subset of registered site users] visible to the whole world that might work?

Thank you for your advice.

Gordon

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Gordon Renouf.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Oct 1st, 2012 at 2:33 pm #27111
cassel
Username: cassel

2. Some of the members will belong to more than one group. Eg some of the Executive Committee of the not for profit are also Special Representatives. Let’s say Bill and Anne are Executive Committee Members and Anne and John are Special representatives. Bill should only have access to Executive content and John to Special Representative content but Anne should have access to both.

You can likely achieve that with custom capabilities (ccaps) instead of levels since levels are hierarchical so level 4 sees everything level 3, 2 and 1 see, and level 3 sees all that level 2 and 1 see, and so on. But with custom capabilities (you can use only level 1 if you want), you can have one ccap called “Executive” and one ccap called “representative”, so Bill would be granted access to content protected by the “executive” ccap, John would have access to the content protected by the “representative” ccap and Ann will get access to both. All with Level 1. That can be done with the free version.

As for Buddy Press, i am not familiar with it so i cannot answer, but i am sure someone more knowledgeable will come and chime in. In the mean time, you can watch the video Custom Capabilities just below this page.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 2nd, 2012 at 6:12 am #27185

1. Can this be done with Free version or do I need Pro

You would need s2Member Pro to have the free registration pro-form, that allows free registrations for access that would normally could only be sold with the free s2Member, unless you hacked the installation, or modified profiles manually. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms[/hilite]

Right, custom capabilities may do what you need here. Unless your groups have incremental access to lower ones, in which case you could use the levels. Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

4. I am worried about potential conflicts between URIs/fragments and our open content. We publish 8-10 stories per week which are available to anyone. We don’t want them accidently protected because we use one of the fragment words “members” “forums” etc in a post (story) title. I am mainly interested in protecting BuddyPress Group Forums and Sitewide (bbPress) forums. Would it be better to put S2 & BuddyPress etc on a second installation at eg http://forums.mysitename.org rather than trying to put it all at one URL; so long as I could have a couple of pages [including one list of a subset of registered site users] visible to the whole world that might work?

If you have those areas in separate installations, then it’ll be hard to manage access to them with s2Member from the main installation. URI restriction may be good enough, just make sure that the URI fragments that you’re protecting, are unique to what you want to protect. For example, if you protect the [hilite mono]forums[/hilite], instead of forums, protect [hilite mono]/forums/[/hilite].

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.